2,504 results
All reviews limelight lounge thomson rep jamaica inn mellieha bay b block rooms face the sea bowling green the bus private beach half board crisps sea view animation team the ground floor older people evening entertainment plenty of choice
Reviewed 18 April 2015

First visit to Malta staying at Mellieha Bay with my husband and two fifteen year old girls. The room (refurbished) was comfortable, clean and well equipped. One warning - our bath water was yellow - and i mean yellow- not very inviting. Told to run the water by 'rep' but this was nonsense - never cleared - soon found out it was down to old, rusty pipes. Wasn't a big issue - certainly didn't spoil our stay in any way.

The food was wonderful - we couldn't fault it at any time. Caters for anyone with all tastes. Hot bar snacks only available for 3 hours midday but sandwiches/rolls all day.

The staff were all professional yet friendly. Always helpful.

Nice mix of guests - mostly English, French and German although I get the impression that this hotel has usually catered for the older guests, I think with it's refurbishment and modernisation they are welcoming the 'family travellers' too although repeat elderly customers weren't too happy about this. The entertainments team worked hard from the first activities in the morning until about midnight.....trying to cater for everyone. I did hear of a complaint that there were no 'waltzes' etc but when the team put this music on in the evening no-one danced. It's a difficult job to keep everyone happy but for us and many other guests we spoke to thought they were wonderful. They organise activities for all throughout the day, put on a small show/dancing/cabaret during the evening along with family dancing. Not too loud, friendly, great with both children and teenagers and a credit to the Hotel.

All rooms have wonderful views, we were on garden level overlooking garden - wonderful to sit on patio and enjoy the vista. I agree that walls are thin - especially when people walking down corridor but this did not bother me in any way - I like to hear people having a lovely time on their holidays.

I would not hesitate to return to the hotel - however, I doubt that I will be able to afford it as it looks as if once the refurbishments are complete the hotel will command a bigger price...however, I will be looking.

We walked, used local transport and a couple of boat trips so anyone wanting any questions answered please pm me and I am happy to help.

I wish this hotel a wonderful and successful season and a special thanks to the 'Animation Team' - we love you all. God bless.

Room Tip: Block A is the longest walk away (but less corridor traffic) but all rooms have wonderful views.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank aquariangirl71
Reviewed 16 April 2015

We booked last minute and weren't expecting the earth, but this place exceeded all expectations. Clean, comfy, very friendly staff and excellent service in a stunning location make this one of the best holiday hotels I've ever stayed in. All the rooms have good views of the bay - even ours on the lowest level ground floor (it's on a hill) - and lovely gardens. We stayed on a half board basis and the food was really extremely good. Breakfasts (apart from the tea - see later) in particular were the best I've had in ages, including in the UK and I've done a lot of business travel in the UK and internationally as well as holidays).

Thanks to the trip advisor reviewer who said the house wine was good for the price - we agreed totally for 5 Euros a litre, and other drinks were also good value. I can't see how you'd manage to get better value on an all-inclusive deal, although it was apparent some people were doing their best to stuff themselves and drink themselves under the table all day! But whatever you like doing on your holidays, I guess.

We are keen walkers and the excellent Malta bus service is close, around 500m. And very cheap. The hotel is also well situated for some great walks from the hotel - north coast, Popeye village and West coast, etc. Easy to bus back.

Yes, it's being refurbed, but so long as you realise when you book (and note the price you pay), you understand and it wasn't ever a problem for us. No hotel shop just now, but there is a supermarket on the holiday complex on the other side of the main road, about 10-15mins away. We don't do pool lounging and sunbathing, and that area was a bit noisy I noticed, but there are the extensive gardens as an alternative, not to mention the beautiful beach close by. The outdoor pool is unheated so you wouldn't want to swim in it just now when they have a perfectly ok indoor and heated one - which we did try.

Our neighbours were a bit noisy on occasion, but that's not really the hotel's fault and happens in the best of places. I'd go again without a doubt. Loved the tea and coffee facilities in the room, but wished they had tea bags at breakfast. I can't think of anything worse than powdered tea from a machine and I don't drink coffee, though luckily I'd brought my own supply of tea bags! My only other suggestion for improvement would be to offer herbal tea at the bars (even at an extra cost) as there are times when I'd have killed for a cup.

Room Tip: Not really necessary as they are all good views and spacious
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vivoward
Reviewed 15 April 2015

We have just had a lovely stay at Mellieha Bay, 22nd March. The Restuarant is now finished and looks lovely the service is second to none, & staff will go out of there way for you. The management invited us to drinks where they explained about the works that were going on and explained that if you had any problems they will do there best to sort things out. The works by the way are close to completion. We had a lovely week and have booked to go again at Christmas so well done to all

Room Tip: Views are lovely across the bay second to none!!!
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 13 April 2015

A friend & I stayed here for 8 nights & it was lovely. The room was very clean & recently renovated, with a basic set up of two twin beds, a small desk with a fridge, & a balcony overlooking the pool & ocean. The water in the shower is hot, but the pressure is very weak.

We never heard anyone in other rooms, but we did occasionally hear people in the hallways -- the walls are a bit thin. It wasn't a problem though -- most of the people who were staying were quiet (a lot of older couples).

The staff are super helpful & friendly -- we got a flat on our first day & the rental company was giving us the cold shoulder, & the hotel staff helped us deal with it.

The food was surprisingly good (we got the "half-board", which means breakfast & dinner were included). They provide a huge variety of food at meal times, & it's all well-prepared.

The hotel is still going through some renos, but that didn't affect us at all.

We found the location very convenient -- it's right at the beach, & you can walk north a bit to to where there are boats for rent. If you have a car it's super easy to drive anywhere on the island; if not, all of the tourist buses stop at the hotel.

I think the only complaint we had was that the wifi was weak & inconsistent. It worked weakly but okay on my android, but the friend I was travelling with had a lot of trouble connecting on her iphone & ipad. I have a suspicion though that this is typical of wifi at a lot of the hotels in Malta.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth (the top) floor, & it was pretty quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jamie R
Reviewed 13 April 2015

Animation Team made our holiday with fun Activities and variety of shows every night work extremely hard to try make everyone join in. the hotel have an amazing location, good food and good entertainments

i will definitely come back

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family