“3.5 average is fair.”

Dunas Mirador Maspalomas
Ranked #62 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We stayed here as a couple a week or two ago in early/mid September 2017. We were a little pensive having read some poor recent reviews of this hotel but to be fair, there really isn't too much to moan about for a 3 star, although I obviously recognise that everyone's experience is different.

We checked in with little fuss and were directed to our room, which overlooked the one-way road outside from block C, we could see most of the Maspalomas resort and town in the distance and the coast; I think the higher levels, looking in the same direction also feature views of the dunes in the distance. There was a bit of road noise from the aforementioned road and also the nearby motorway but I think I would have preferred this over a room overlooking the main complex as it was loud all day with loud music playing from the bar and also the stage. This is all down to personal preference though of course. I was very fearful that the room would be too hot as the hotel, as is well documented, does not have air-conditioned rooms. Not all rooms will have the same characteristics of course, although I believe they all have ceiling fans and these do provide a small draft above the bed but I think without the fan that we brought with us it would have still been pretty uncomfortable. So my advice would be to bring a fan with you if you have one. There didn't appear to be a lot of English TV apart from some world news channels but let's face it, if the TV is a big priority for you then you are probably wasting your holiday. The bed was comfortable enough and the shower was very good. The room was very clean and it is cleaned every day if you wish. The mini-fridge was a bit disappointing however as it doesn't ever seem to get particularly cold. This probably isn't helped by the power frequently being off in the room of course, which is also a common theme with modern hotels, that once you take the keycard out of the slot, the power to the room is cut off. You do get two key cards though (keep them in a different pocket to any mobile phones as this interferes with the signal) so unless we were going to be out for a day, we tended to leave one in powering the room. We only really kept water in the fridge anyway though so not really an issue for us. Also worth noting, is that there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but there are always such things available in the public areas of the hotel.

The restaurant can get very busy and we noticed that it appeared to get busier during the latter half of our stay. I imagine in peak season it must be really crowded as there was a proportion of the restaurant not in use whilst we were there. It is mostly manageable though and the food is reasonably varied. The main area of buffet in the middle, as other people have said, can get repetitive but it is an all-inclusive 3-star so you really shouldn't expect a lot more. If there is something you can eat then there isn't really a problem. There are a couple of other hot food areas too to the left and the right of the live cooking area that provide different options. To the right tended to be pasta, which was pretty nice and to the left it changed daily, but often it wasn't used. The live cooking is the best area, there always seems to be a fish dish being prepared and one other meat. The entrecote on one night was really good and surprisingly not overcooked. There was also an essentially roast knuckle of pork that was good with plenty of crackling to help yourself to on the night I had it. There is also plenty of bread to help yourself to also. All the soft drink options are available plus the self service San Miguel and the wine. The only difference is that in the restaurant you can have a glass instead of the plastic cups. I usually stuck to lager. I tried the rose wine one night and it was so sickly sweet I couldn't drink it and the white wine wasn't much better. I didn't brave the red; again all personal preference I suppose. I can't comment too much on the lunch selection as we ate out at lunchtime on all but one day but I think it is generally the same fare. Breakfast was a little less impressive. The live cooking area is where the fried eggs and omelettes get cooked and the eggs are cooked to your liking, which is good. The queue here can get lengthy at peak times though. The queue for the toast machine was also always very busy so I never bothered with toast. There are of course plenty of continental options that I have to say I didn't try, such as the usual croissants and cereal etc. The bacon is that sort of fatty streaky bacon you seem to get in these Spanish all inclusive resorts, which I actually quite like but I know my partner doesn't and I'm sure plenty of others don't either. The sausages on offer were, or very similar to, Frankfurters. Not my, or I should imagine, most other people's idea of a breakfast sausage. Most mornings I had eggs and bacon and a bit of bread. The juices are out of a machine so predictably average and the tea and, I would imagine the coffee, is likewise. One thing that does irritate me though, and this happened last year in Majorca too so perhaps it is a cultural thing; is that the nice selection of cooked meats and cheese that they put out for breakfast are not on offer for lunch when I would think more people would want that sort of thing to create makeshift sandwiches and baguettes etc. Maybe it is just me. The staff in the restaurant, as in the rest of the hotel are efficient and courteous enough. There is an official dress code set out in the guidelines in the pack you get in the room stating that only long trousers and shirts with sleeves are allowed in the restaurant. This does seem excessive and thankfully I never saw it enforced. As long as people have tops on and aren't dripping wet I think it seems to be ok.

The bar opens at 11am and the self service features soft drinks such as 7up, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Tonic, and the KAS orange and Kas Limon. The San Miguel on self service seemed fine to me and the same 3 wines available in the restaurant are available, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend these. Sangria is also available on tap, but I don't drink this so I cannot offer an opinion. There is also water and tea and coffee plus an all-inclusive freezer with small ice creams in, with the usual Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate flavours available, which were nice on occasion and great for kids I should think. I'm sure I can't cover the entire all-inclusive menu with regard for drinks but we were pretty happy with what we had. The all-inclusive cocktails are, as usual, out of a machine, so don't expect a lot there. The basic, I assume local, variety of spirits is also available so if you want Gin, Rum, Whiskey, Vodka etc. it is available on all-inclusive. We frequently had Rum & Pepsi, Whiskey & Pepsi and Vodka & Lemonade and the staff behind the bar do not hold back on the alcohol, so don't worry about being fobbed off with weak drinks. The staff behind the bar are great and even in the busy times of the evening you never seem to be waiting long to be served. All-inclusive does apparently stop at 11pm, which didn't affect us as we tended to go up to our room once the evening entertainment finished, which was usually shortly after 10:30. Adjacent to the bar is the sort of fast food bar, which appeared to be really good, with burgers, hot dogs and chips available and also a small salad bar at the end. Despite fully intending to try some food from here, for one reason or another, we never did apart from a plate of chips once which were fine.

The pool is a decent size but the larger pool and jacuzzi is on the slightly cold size, which when the weather is hot I suppose is refreshing, although I think most people expect the jacuzzi to be warmer. The pool that the slide leads into, down the bottom end of the complex is far warmer though. The sunbed situation is a well documented issue in almost all busy hotels like this. There is again a rule stating that you are not allowed to reserve sunbeds but everyone seemed to do it and get away with it. We were not to fussed about access to sunbeds anyway but I understand this is a massive priority for some people. We walked down to breakfast around 9:00 most mornings and it was pretty rare to see a sunbed or certainly two sunbeds next to each other that weren't either occupied with people or towels. There is an area around the back of block C however that is quieter. There aren't a lot of sunbeds here but whenever we walked out of our room we had a clear view of this area and there were usually a handful free. This is though the area near the kids pool with the pirate ship and some of the daytime activities such as darts and ping pong take place nearby so it is still not totally peaceful. I'd rather put up with a couple of annoying kids over a couple of hundred annoying adults anyway! Of course, there will be more of both in peak season I am sure.

The evening entertainment ranges from cringey to good fun. The animation team do most of the shows and the ones where they are doing things like simply miming to a shortened down version of the We Will Rock You stage show are rather tacky but I suppose credit goes to them for the hard work they must put in learning the routines. Other things like Karaoke and the Mr. Dunas show with volunteers from the guests are more entertaining, depending on I guess, the participants. The couple of professional shows we saw were ok and included an acrobatic dance team sort of thing and a guy with snakes who, although there are questions about the morals of having animals in cases, was a really funny guy. The mini-disco is fun for kids I am sure and that lasts between 8:30 & 9:00 every evening, with the same appalling but annoyingly catchy songs every night. It will be a few days after your holiday before you get these out of your head...'agadoo doo doo, push pineapple shake a tree, agadoo doo doo'... see what I mean. Anyway, the animation do work extremely hard throughout the day and are really good at what they do. With regard to seating around the bar, it does appear that they have increased this by making adjustments to the pool as the photos widely available on the internet show a slightly bigger pool area than it is now. This said, the seating is an issue but there really is nothing that the hotel can do about it. It is a busy hotel and they have only the space that they have so I don't what people expect; no there are not enough sunbeds nor enough outside tables to cater for the volume of guests but they have to strike a balance between the two and this they seem to have done. If you get there by 8ish you should still get a table at this time of year it seems but we did notice that later in the evening nearly all the sunbeds with a view of the stage were occupied and plenty of people were also standing. However, if getting a seat is a priority to you then get there earlier. We did and we never failed to get a seat in the evening. You know the situation so adapt to it to suit your priorities.

In all it is a very clean hotel; they always seem to be cleaning during the day, which is good. There is the occasional smell of drains in the evenings when the wind picks up in the right (or wrong) direction, which is slightly unpleasant but really nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. The thing that got on ours and I would think on the nerves of most non-smokers is the abundance of smoking that goes on around the hotel grounds. I don't know what the laws are in Gran Canaria but it really does go on everywhere, around the pool, under the canopy of the bar etc. Obviously it can't go on in the rooms as there are smoke detectors and it is forbidden in the restaurant but other than that it is really difficult to escape it. I don't mind the ambient smell of smoke at all but when it is constantly being blown in your direction so you can see it and feel yourself directly inhaling it it becomes invasive. It really is people being inconsiderate that is the problem. One night a group sat near us who between them were constantly smoking all night and it really gets on your nerves. There is an area just outside the lobby below the small pool that would be ample space for a smokers area and I personally think this issue needs addressing. Again I suppose this is a personal opinion but one shared by many non-smokers I am sure. On the flip-side, I am sure this is great if you are a smoker, but if you are, try to take note of where your passive smoke is going.

Local facilities include a Chinese restaurant next door and one or two other restaurants and bars in adjoining and nearby streets within a 5-10 minute walk but we didn't visit any of these sadly. There is a shop in the hotel with water and other basics but again we didn't use it to be fair. The local Spar in the one way road next door has a good selection of food and drink and the shop next to it sells English newspapers and souvenirs etc.

The free bus or coach that goes to and from the beach can get full but in our instances they always sent another one very shortly afterwards if this was the case. The taxis are so organised too. If you ask reception to get you a taxi, sometimes by the time you are outside and the up the steps waiting it has already arrived.

Overall, if you expect what is to be reasonably expected from a 3 star hotel you shouldn't be too disappointed. Simply, if you expect more than this then go somewhere else really, don't stay here and be surprised and complain about it not offering 4 or 5 star facilities. I'm sure there are better 3 star hotels out there of course and the fact that this hotel is very busy won't appeal to everyone. I think based upon expectations of a 3-star and the fact that you could never really rank a 3 star as a 5 out of 5 a 3.5-4 out of 5 is a fair rating for this hotel. We had a good holiday and a decent stay.

10  Thank strangecurrencies
Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Dear strangecurrencies,
we are thankful to read such an detailed and precise comment. We appreciate your accurate version of your stay and we are happy to read that you had a nice stay in general and enjoyed our services and offers. We will take note of all the mentioned points to improve and we again thank you for the compliments to our hard working staff.
We would be glad to welcoming you again soon to offer you another memorable stay in our hotel!

Best regards
Ivanka Kathrin Klatt

Write a ReviewReviews (3,169)

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Arrived back yesterday from Gran canaria. Our stay at the Dunas Mirador was a mostly pleasant one on the positive side the overall hotel cleanliness is good, the room we stayed in was comfortable and clean, the room was cleaned daily maintaining the standard. There was no air conditioning in the room which was needed however there is a ceiling fan at least although not the best but better than nothing.

The restaurant food was varied although yes a little repetitive but considering this hotel caters for a wide range of palets it does a good job. I do not eat everything and can be a little fussy however I always found something to eat. The food areas are clean the chefs do a good job of keeping the food replenished continually
The waiting staff do a good job of keeping the tables clear. The negative for the restaurant is the staff could do with being a little more friendly although there are a couple of the staff who did acknowledge us and appeared to be happy in their jobs. On the whole the rest do not with one older lady completely ignoring us when we would thank her for clearing the table. I know this is a tough job however if all of the staff appeared happier in their jobs it would add to the atmosphere of the restaurant.

The pool area is nice the sunbed situation can be a little tricky as it can be busy with a lot of them gone quite early. The pool side bar staff do a good job and are friendly to the guests.

The evening entertainment - there are not enough tables and chairs with some guests having to sit on sunbeds. The animation team do work hard and yes the entertainment is not for everyone but they all appear to be happy and enjoy their jobs putting a 100% into everything they put on their selves. The only thing I noticed with the animation team is when they are putting on the entertainment their selves they ensure the guests know what is going on however when there were external entertainers coming in they did not introduce the acts which meant they would start suddenly often taking a while for the guest to realise it had started. I feel this could be improved for the benefit of the external entertainers.

Overall we had a pleasant and relaxing time although this place is not the best for non smokers such as us unfortunately there is a lot of smokers here which impacted on us particularly in the evenings there is no where to go to get away from smokers in the bar we would have to leave our clothes on the balcony overnight to air our clothes to get the smoke smell off. The other problem was while having breakfast one morning we were sitting by the open window in the restaurant there were smokers sitting outside very close with the smoke smell coming inside this was not nice at all.
The hotel could benefit from looking into designated areas where guess are asked not to smoke as this does heavily impact on other guests who do not smoke.

An issue we encountered was a late check out option we were told we would need to go to reception on the morning of our last day which we did. When we got there there was one guy in front of us the man who he spoke to checked to see if he could get a late check out by looking and asking his room number. We spoke to a young girl who did not ask us our room number or even look but quite sternly told us we could not get a late check out as they needed the room she came across as a little rude and unhelpful. We were then told to look at the book on reception for our pick up time then we can get a 45 minute slot in a courtesy room for a shower. This is a downside as we were not leaving until very late our flight was at midnight.

The hotel is good value for money, it appears to cater for people of all abilities.
unfortunately we have said we will not go back to this Dunas hotel because of the smoking issue. Perhaps the company can look at their smoking policy as it really does impact on non smokers holiday experience at this location which is a shame.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor have good access with a lift or stairs

Dear angelamcwilliams
thank you very much for this detailed comment on tripadvisor. We are thankful to read that you had a good stay in general and that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the rooms and the work of our staff in the restaurant. We will of course take note of all the mentioned points to improve our services and we apologize for the inconveniences due to the non-existance of a smoking area. We will take note of this point to improve and we would be happy to welcoming you in the future so you can enjoy an even better stay at our hotel.
We wish you all the best & hope you had a relaxed flight back!
Ivanka Kathrin Klatt
Guest Relations

Reviewed 22 September 2017

this was the worst holiday we have ever had..apart from the bar staff and entertainment team I would not use this hotel...food and choice are very poor quality..pool and bar areas are the dirtiest ever seen...chefs very rarely wear gloves when handling food...greet and meet staff on door of resteraunt wouldn't know you were there as she didn't ever look up from her mobile... if you suffer from asthema be warned no aircon rooms just a poor quality ceiling fan with the heat you find it hard to breathe...pool staff very rude and either speak no English or refuse to...the pool area is so overcrowded it cant cope with the amount of people around it,,,people sit from 0630 onwards for the mad rush for sunbeds when it opens at 8...this is a poor hotel not worth the money....spend your hard earned money on a different hotel...yumbo a near by complex of bars food places and shops was the only saving grace...enjoy gran canaria somewhere different...

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Dear saliiegilchrist

we regret very much the negative impression about our hotel. We work hard for our guest satisfaction and do our best, we are sorry it has not been possible to do it with you. Our menues change daily and weekly to try to meet the taste of our varied clientele. Hotel is advertised without airco. We take note of your criticism to improve and deepky apologize for all inconveniences.
Best regards
Guest Relations.

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I visited here between 8/9/17-15/9/16....I arrived on my own at 9.15pm as my flight was delayed for a hour.

There was only 1 person on at the reception desk, so I had to wait while she checked in the people in front of me.

Anyway after checking in, the receptionist said the restaurant shuts at 10pm (in other words, if you want something to eat you better hurry up)! So I managed to find my room with no guidance or help from anyone, put my things in my room & had to rush back to the restaurant to have something to eat!!

No air con in the room (which I knew) there was a fan on the ceiling which wasn’t much use, in this day & age I don’t know why the hotel doesn’t invest in air con.

The food was nice in the restaurant, very varied & something for everyone, there is a pool bar also if you prefer fast food snacks.

The bar shuts at 11pm, so everyone gets loads of drinks before last orders. Smokers paradise it was, seemed like everyone smoked except me!! Smoking around the pool & during the evening entertainment it was bad as the tables were full of the smokers.

Not enough table & chairs either, I wasn’t bothered as I weren’t interested in the evening entertainment.

I enjoyed my stay, weather was lovely, visited the sand dunes via the free bus from the hotel & did a boat trip & sunset trip organised by Thomson.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Dear Sharoncaspar
thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in general and that you had a great time on the island. We are sorry for the inconveniences due to the smoking issue. We will take note of this mentioned points to improve our services. We hope you had a safe flight back and we would be glad to welcoming you again in the future!
Kind regards
Ivanka Kathrin Klatt Guest Relations

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I will start with the good bits as there isn't much to say the pools are good especially the heated one and the little pirate ship at the back of the hotel. The rooms are clean and modern. The hotel is situated right next to a very busy motorway away from everything, you have to get a taxi if you want to go anywhere unless you like a half hour walk, and the hotel is not next to the water park as Thomas cook advertise it but you can get a free bus from the hotel, the food really is awful we went as a family of 6 including 2 children and not one of us liked it and we are not fussy eaters we go all inclusive all the time but this food was very repetitive and tasteless, Be prepared for a long wait if you want toast in the morning as there is only one toaster in the hotel of this size! Then there is the sun bed situation you have to be up at 7am an waiting with the crowds to get any chance of getting one then practically sitting on each other's knees they are that tightly packed together. The evening entertainment isn't much good either it's not professional it's all done by the animation team that rehearse what they are doing that night in the day time, an you can't get a seat to watch it anyway so it's back on the sun beds in the evening. Below par for an all inclusive hotel and we won't be returning.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Sir/Madam
we regret very much to acknowledge your negative opinion about our hotel.
We would like to have fixed your complaints during your staying, and feel sorry not having the chance to do so. AS to the food, our menus vary daily and weekly and entartainment team do a very hard work for our guests satisfaction.
We apologize for inconveniences and will take note of your comments to improve.
Regards