All reviewsmichelin star qualityhalf boardexceptional hotelpool servicegran canariathe general managerrepeat guestspool restaurantpool guyfirst floorjunior suitebreakfast and dinnerfresh fruitcanary islandsthe ground floorwelcome drinkeach evening
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I returned from holiday on Sunday feeling very relaxed and refreshed after a wonderful stay at the Grand Hotel Residencia. So where do I start....I always find that it's the staff that go a long way to making your holiday and they cerainly delivered on that. We were made to feel very welcome the minute we stepped into the hotel, the whole team are a credit to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, everyone is very friendly and the service is fantastic. The food was sooooo good. I'd been told it was wonderful and it was. I especially liked the BBQ night, there was so much choice, it was really nice to be able to try a bit of everything. I stayed in a junior suite which was very nice, it included chairs a sofa along with table which is nice if you like a bit of extra space. The facilities are good. Good varity of top of the range gym equipment. The pool is a good size and the gardens are truely beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't get time at the Spa but it did look to offer a wide variety of treatments....next time. Everywhere is kept very clean and tidy. I can't think of any downsides, I suppose the only thing is if you are looking for somewhere really lively this wouldn't be the place for you, however, if you're looking for peace and tranquillity look no further.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank samP463OW
Robert H, Director General at Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to our Grand Hotel Residencia and for sharing your experience about your wonderful holidays with us.
I am thrilled to read that our staff made all the difference and that you felt welcome the minute you stepped into the hotel! It is great that you appreciated all the facilities and the sooooo good food on offer, especially the barbecue nights. I encourage you to make use of the spa next time and being pampered by our professional therapists. It is definitely worth a try.
The Residencia is meant for guests seeking tranquility and peace and a relaxing time in our quiet oasis.
Again, thank you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Not long back from second stay and have booked next years visit.
Hotel is exceptional an oasis in the middle of gardens and palm trees which shuts out the rest of the world and makes it very quiet. Beautiful swimming pool which is very well managed. There is never a problem finding a lounger as the pool manager dealt with all your needs.
Food is one of the main reasons we are going for a third time not to forget the wine list.
Rooms are clean, well cared for , spacious and nicely decorated with high quality toiletries , daily water and fruit.
The service supplied by all staff would be hard to beat and possibly the summary is "total attention to detail"
Glad we are going back

Room Tip: you cannot go wrong whatever you do
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allanmacph
Robert H, Director General at Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for again having chosen our Grand Hotel Residencia during your recent visit to Gran Canaria!
I am thrilled to read that the Residencia is the “best hotel ever” and that you have already booked your next stay with us.
I appreciate your lovely words about the food, being one of the reasons you are coming and about the staff, especially about the pool service! I am certain that your words will be a great encouragement for the entire team!
We look forward to your return and make your holiday a memorable one.
Warm regards from Gran Canaria,

Reviewed 31 May 2018

It would be churlish to not give this hotel 5 stars. There were some things I did not like but I was aware of them before booking so they came as no surprise - sardine sun loungers that are booked every morning. But we accepted that as part of the holiday and got on with it. I also feel that the rooms do not offer the sort of privacy that we prefer on holiday although our room itself was comfortable and relaxing.

We went half board. I can't understand staying here and not going half board. It would be like booking a room and not bothering with a bed. It's a key part of the joy of staying at the hotel. We found the dinner choice, portion size, presentation and service to be all excellent. I skipped the second course each evening and tried hard not too eat too much of the delicious bread and never felt that the meal was too much. We also never had a problem getting a table on the terrace. We were very relieved to find that the terrace is separated between smoking and non smoking.

Breakfast had a delicious choice of fruit and yogurt, breads and preserves. We didn't bother with any cooked food, as we found the cold buffet was more than adequate. If you have a very sweet tooth you may be disappointed at the lack of cakes/muffins etc. Again, it was a blessing as I was saved from having to try everything.

We enjoyed glorious weather so spent most of the time around the pool, which was large enough to enjoy a decent swim. At times the pool would be busy (first thing in the morning) but generally I had the pool to myself at various points throughout the day.
The pool attendants kept the area around the pool absolutely spotless and worked non-stop. It was difficult sometimes to get the attention of a pool waiter - but I think that is just because they were so busy serving in the pool café/restaurant.
The gym is ok. It is open air (no airconditioning) and has noone on duty but I used it a couple of times during our stay. It was nicer to go for a run in the morning along the promenade which is about 5 minutes from the hotel.

We booked the hotel because we wanted a very relaxing easy few days away and on that basis the hotel ticked every box. We booked the hotel car to and from the airport as it was easy and a nice way to arrive/depart.

I would suggest that the hotel reconsiders its policy towards guests celebrating their birthday at the hotel. My birthday was our last day before we left. At 5pm on the day of my birthday we returned to our room to find a lovely cream cake. We had had a late lunch, (we had been in the room @3pm when there was no cake at that time) and were going for pre-dinner drinks @7pm. As we did not want to eat the cake at 5pm, I phoned reception and asked if they could store it for us. When we checked out the following morning, I enquired if we could perhaps have the cake boxed so we could take it but I was told that the cake could not be boxed and couldn't be taken away. So thanks! Perhaps the type of cake they offer could be one that doesn't have to be eaten immediately. Even if we had known about it at lunchtime (we ate at the hotel pool restaurant) we could have enjoyed a slice with our coffee and shared it with other guests, which would have been nice. Bit of a disappointment.

Many guests are regulars who have been coming to the hotel for many years and have already booked to return. Although we enjoyed our stay, we will probably not return as I like to try new places. We did discover when we checked in that there is massive construction work going on across the road from the hotel. A huge hotel (Rui?) is being demolished and something else is going up. The construction noise prevented us from enjoying our balcony - but as there was no view from the balcony we may not have used it anyway. The construction noise could not be heard from our room with the door shut, nor anywhere around the pool area, nor, I would imagine, any of the rooms facing the pool or away from that side of the road.

We did not have any reason to voice any complaints while we were staying at the hotel but I have no doubt, that had we had any issues, they would have been dealt with 5 star efficiency

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dee090
Robert H, Director General at Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear guests,
Thank you for your recent stay at our Grand Hotel Residencia and for taking the time for taking the time to comment on it.
It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a few relaxing days with us and that you confirmed that 5-star rating! I appreciate that you mentioned especially the good food and that you, as wee as we always do, to go for the half board to enjoy the dinner in the restaurant or on the terrace.
I am happy that you found the breakfast delicious and the choice ample. Unfortunately, you obviously did not see the fresh pastries and cakes from our bakery that is available every morning at the breakfast buffet. There is always a wide choice of about 7-9 different pastries, cakes, cookies and muffins for the sweet tooth. We also serve waffles and pancakes at the hot station.
I regret that you had difficulties on some occasions to get the attention of the pool servers. I have addressed the issue with the pool bar managers meanwhile.
Please accept my apologies that you were not happy with the time of the delivery of the surprise birthday cake and that you were not able to enjoy it. I understand that some guests prefer it at the pool bar while others may like it to be served after dinner and others do not want anybody to know about their birthday. That is why we decided to serve it in the room. Since it was a cream cake in your case we prefer not to box it to take it away to not get spoiled due to the heat. We will discuss how we can improve in this area.
The Riu hotel at the coast is currently under renovation. Part of it was demolished, however, this has been finished and you do not hear hardly any construction noise at our hotel. I am very sorry that you could not use your balcony due to the noise and wish you would have approached us during your stay so we could have moved the room. We currently do have, as a precaution, the rooms towards the street blocked.
Again, thank you very much and we hope to welcome you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Our first time on Gran canaria and what a great hotel to stay at, from our arrival the reception were very welcoming,thank you Mrs Lieberman, we then taken to our lovely room which had a lovely terrace which led to the pool.
We took half board after reading other reviews and didn't regret it the evening meals were a delight and lots of variety. The pool area and pools were very good and the spa was lovely to have, my wife had a massage and we used the sauna and steam room. We did go out for a walk along the beach and back accross the dunes which are beautiful. All the staff were lovely and so attentive. Evenings on the terrace pre and post dinner were lovely, with live entertainment each evening, our favourite being the jazz evening with songs from the fifties to the seventies,we met nice people and it was all very friendly. Mixed clientele from UK,France, Belgium, Germany and Scandinavia. Would heartily recommend it and we will be going back.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank X4543GUchrisb
Robert H, Director General at Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Dear guests,
Thank you for staying at our Grand Hotel Residencia during your first time on the beautiful island Gran Canaria!
I am thrilled to read that you had a perfect week and that you enjoyed the facilities such as spa and the outlets. I always recommend booking half board to enjoy the evening meals on our terrace or in the restaurant. Our chef used to have a Michelin star in his own restaurant.
I appreciate the comments about the warm welcome on your arrival and have shared the comments with Mrs. Liebermann and the team.
Our dedicated staff does the utmost to ensure the wellbeing of our international guests seeking a relaxing holiday with bespoke service.
We look forward to your return.

Direktor
Seaside Grand hotel Residencia*****GL

Reviewed 10 May 2018

I've reviewed Residencia before, because I've stayed here before and keep coming back; which is probably my best review.. It has the efficiency of very, very good hotels but not the pomposity, It has real charm. The kitchen is distinguished, inventive without being ridiculous, and consistently delicious; it ranges from the obligatory foams to dishes of glorious stewed octopus, from intricate puddings to the best barbecued crayfish which is a remarkable range. Dinner on the terrace among flowers is a great pleasure. The rooms are comfortable and stylish in a low-key way, with terraces that let out onto gardens of bougainvillea and strelitzia; you can breakfast with a hoopoe. The spa has excellent massage, a sauna which works brilliantly (and a salt cave, which is something I do not pretend to understand. Never mind.) The gym is typically well thought out, a way to beat back the effects of the kitchen! Residencia is an island in the world, a refuge with a good wine cellar.and a rather glamorous pool... it is only a few minutes from the dunes and the ocean, but you may feel reluctant to leve.

Room Tip: A low-lying hotel with more views to the inside than the outside. Face the pool if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank michaelpye2017
Robert H, Director General at Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

Dear Mr. Pye,

I am thrilled to read that you once again enjoyed your stay with us and I highly appreciate your lovely review.
No more is needed than saying thanks for your recent stay and the loyalty over the past years. There is nothing better than returning guests that show us that our concept of a tranquil oasis with top culinary experience and individual service works.
It is indeed beautiful to start and to end the day on our restaurant terrace with magnificent views of the mountains and being surrounded by our beautiful flowers.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.

Robert Heitzig General Manager Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia*****GL