“Well worth the money spent”

Malayattoor Residency
Ranked #2 of 2 Malayattoor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Our room was on the 2nd floor. Very clean, airy and sufficiently-spaced for my wife and me. The view from the back-window was beautiful on that rainy day. The creepy
vines of black pepper on the trees behind the hotel gave a pinging for the past. We were there to ascend the St.Thomas Kurisumala(mount of the holy cross), for the annual ritual on the eve of the New Sunday(1st Sunday after easter).Mr Pauly quickly checked us in on the 2nd of Apr '16, and advised to have lunch soon before the restaurant was closed. In the evening we set out from the hotel to the base of St. Thomas Kurisumala. It was approx 1.5 km away from the MR Hotel which is at Chumminy jn;almost equally distanced from St. Thomas church and the base of St. Thomas Kurisumala. We returned to the hotel at 10 pm and had our dinner at the restaurant.
Next day, after finishing our complimentary b/fast, attended the holy Eucharist at the
St. Thomas church. After lunch from the hotel restaurant, we checked out at noon.
Mr. Pauly suggested us to visit Kappirikkadu Elephant taming camp and Botanical garden on the way to Paniyeli Poru. Paniyeli Poru on the boulders of Periyar river
is simply, if I borrow a phrase from Mr. George Bush Junior during the Gulf war,
is " shock and awe" (shocking and awesome). We found a large number of North Indian tourists lying in the pooled-cool-water, who came to visit the nearby Kalady
Sankaracharya Stoopam.
We had a great time in Malayattoor: The stay in the M/R Hotel, the food,and the visit to nearby tourist sites. Mr. Pauly is a young, bubbly, dynamic, very courteous person with how-can-I-help-you-attitude.An allrounder. The restaurant-hands Hisham and Anto are eager to please your palate with their Karimeen Pollichathu(Pearl Spot b-b-q'ed) Ayala Porichathu (Mackerel fry). In short, we had a great stay in the hotel. Of course, they don't have "Shark-fin soups", but they have Karimeens and such Kerala specialities, cooked to order.

Room Tip: All the back-windows open to village surroundings. Front yard is large for 10-15 cars.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Malayattoor Residency

Reviewed 8 May 2016

Malayattoor Residency, arguably a hotel, was probably supposed to be a country bar, but they got a little easy on money and converted it into a hotel. This place is the most terrible hotel experience in my entire traveling life (and I travel 15 days a month at times). Their rooms are in terrible shape. Their restaurant is in worse shape than the rooms. If you order a bottle of mineral water, they will probably take an hour to deliver because the entire hotel is run by 5 people and they play the roles of general manager, F&B manager, front desk manager, bell boy, room service, restaurant chef, restaurant service staff and security. This was my first experience with Oyo Rooms too since this property is now covered under Oyo Network - and I know exactly what not to do again! Never stay ever in a property that's covered by Oyo Network. Oyo says that breakfast and WiFi are complimentary. Well, there was no breakfast served on any of the days we stayed there. And considering that the hotel was built in 18th Century, they are yet to figure out the concept of WiFi. The WiFi modem in my room was broken and when I complained about it, the front-desk manager said I should adjust. All this only because this is the only hotel in the town and there are a number of visitors because of the Mayalattoor Church and Jivadhara Neurological Research Institute. And they have no other choice but to stay in this shabby place. My advice - if you have to go to Mayalattoor, stay in Kalady or Angamadi and travel 20 kilometers rather than staying in Mayalattoor Residency.

Room Tip: There is nothing good about this place! Just avoid!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank authorkushal
Reviewed 2 August 2015

I was proved no wrong in selecting this property for my stay due to its excellent location and pleasant ambiance. It is a relatively new property with just few meters away from mlayattoor church and kodanadu elephant training centers.

Food preparation and its service (both room and on table) were excellent. Staff was also courteous and complimentary breakfast quality was also appreciable. I would highly recommended this for anyone who is looking for a pleasant stay in coorg.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank abinettumanoor
Reviewed 6 June 2015

With limited options available at Malayatoor, this would one of the better hotels in the area. Rooms are big and have necessary amenities. The hotel does not get much visitors and therefore, many of the dishes in the restaurant and room service menu are not available. Food is okay, but there is a lot of scope for improvements. Room rates are not high and there is enough parking space for 10-15 cars.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank N_Rathin

Been to Malayattoor Residency? Share your experiences!