“Good central base with nothing to complain about.”
Review of Scandic Kirkenes

Scandic Kirkenes
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kirkenes
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Decent rooms, helpful staff, superb breakfast buffet. The curtains are thick enough for summer, the lift is quick.
It's a good, competent example of a small chain. I think most people will be just passing through for a day or two, and it's absolutely fine for that. You might want somewhere more character if you're here for longer.

Room Tip: Maybe the darker side if you're here in summer.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Jevgeni M, General Manager at Scandic Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear greave2016.

Thank you for taking time to give us such a nice review!

It is such a pleasure to read that you have enhoyed your stay and that our serviceminded staff have been helpful.

Wish you a great summer and safe travels!

Best regards

Jevgeni M
General manager
Scandic Kirkenes

Reviewed 18 June 2017

The hotel rooms are OK, the main thing in this climate is: It is warm enough innwinter, and it has dark curtains in the summer, with 24 hours daylight. Reception friendly, with one exception - I suppose he had a bad morning. The breakfast is really fantastic, and worth it all - you can manage many hoirs out in the sea, in the mines or in the wilderness after this! Remember you are as far east as Istanbul now, and very far north - so expect storms, snow, midnight sun and beautiful nature in the surroundings.

Room Tip: Different parts, have a lookbefore you decide
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Jevgeni M, General Manager at Scandic Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Bjørn Casper H.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback after you stay with us here at Scandic Kirkenes. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
It a true pleasure to read that you have enjoyed both the hotel and our nature surroundings in the area.

Wish you a great summer and welcome back to us at the next occasion.

Best regards
Jevgeni M
General manager

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

We arrived to this hotel for a night after taking an incredible Hurtigruten Cruise. The lobby is nice- lots of space to hang out and even a little box of toys for the kids. I went to check in and the lady at the reception, Melissa (who didn't even acknowledge I was standing there for the first few minutes) finally looked up to help and I asked if we could check in. She couldn't find our reservation (which we had made through Hotels.com). Okay, she said it was weird because I showed her the confirmation and I forwarded her the confirmation to her email. She said she'd look into it. 30 mins later, I went back to check and she said she still couldn't find our reservation. She Didn't offer any help or suggestions (she could have offered to call Hotels.com or even asked if we wanted to just pay the hotel directly and she could get us in a room), but nothing. She said "it's a 3rd party booking site and I can't do anything". I explained that Scandic partners with Hotels.com for these reservations, hotels.com can't make them otherwise. I asked her to call hotels.com for me and she said "no, I'm really busy" then said "and I don't have the phone #" and then asked me why I don't just call. It was unbelievable. To top it off, she had her magazine open at her desk looking at celebrity gossip. I pointed this out to her and then told her I'd find the hotel.com # for her...which I did in 30 seconds and she finally agreed to call. Turns out the reservation was there, but Scandic Kirkenes never updated their email in hotel.com system and the booking went the the wrong email.
My point is that Melissa could have easily figured this out, had she been professional and taken the initiative to call. Instead she was completely rude, unprofessional and unhelpful.
We've stayed at other Scandic Hotels and we travel full time around the world, so we are use to staying a various places. Luckily, we have yet to come in contact with someone as unprofessional as Melissa. Hope that Scandic Kirkenes can work on their customer service.

The room we had on the 2nd floor is okay. Nothing special, a bit outdated- by the pictures it looks to be a room that hasn't been renovated, but appears clean.

The hotel is nicely situated in the town- a grocery and some cafes within a couple minute walk. But not much else to do unless you go out for the excursions.

I'm still in shock by the rudeness of customer service and even had a couple other guests that overheard the interaction I had with Melissa comment to me how unbelievably rude she was.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank RetiredToddlers
Reviewed 16 April 2017

We were very happy with our stay here. The room was clean and comfortable and we slept well. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was first rate. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a stay in Kirkenes.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Steffen M, Manager at Scandic Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Hello Cheddar111,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here at Scandic Kirkenes. i am very happy you enjoyed yoru stay. I will pass on your comments to our Front Desk staff and our restaurant team.

Welcome back to us next time you visit Kirkenes.

Kind Regards,
SteffenM
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Stayed here for 2 nights and there are not many hotel options in Kirkenes. Room is decent and it's conveniently located. Right across the hotel lobby is Joker which is a small supermarket. You can walk around the whole town in 10 mins.

Buffet breakfast is fantastic. For hotel guests, you can help yourself to coffee and tea by the front desk.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eltan16
Steffen M, Manager at Scandic Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hello Eltan16,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here at Scandic Kirkenes. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Especially happy that you found our breakfast so fantastic. This is a very important focus area for us and we strive to give our guests the best possible start to their day.

Welcome back to us during summer to experience the midnight sun!

Kind regards,
SteffenM
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkenes
0.3 km away
39.6 km away
Vadso Fjordhotell AS
Vadso Fjordhotell AS
#1 of 1 in Vadso

Been to Scandic Kirkenes? Share your experiences!