All reviews sea view northern lights hurtigruten cruise in town modern hotel nice view comfortable rooms superior room free tea and coffee excellent breakfast excellent hotel the bus king crab underfloor heating norwegian hotels convenient location stayed one night
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Based on the reviews I read, this looked like a great hotel. And indeed, in many aspects it is. The beds are very comfortable, the locations is great, the dinner was excellent (we had salmon as catch of the day, steak as meat of the day and reindeer), the breakfast is very extensive and excellent and you can help yourself until 11am on weekends. The staff in the restaurant is also very friendly and helpful. So for this I would give them 5 stars. But some aspects left a very sour taste.
It started already when I showed my booking and the lady at the reception told me that it was only for 1 person per room despite the fact that we were travelling as a family of four. This is very odd because I was trying to find an accommodation for 4 people and somehow ended up with two single rooms. Yes, when I read the fine print it said indeed that it was only for one person per room. But then the lady at the reception said this happens frequently but I could use the rooms for two persons for an additional charge of NOK 200. Well, if this happens frequently, something is wrong with their process or they deliberately try to make more money by selling you a room for a nominally smaller amount only to charge you on top because you need a room for two persons rather than just one. Maybe, it wasn't intended, but it felt strange.
But what annoyed me much more is that I had booked the room including breakfast (and this was clearly shown in the booking reservation), but then they charged it separately for both rooms. Unfortunately, I only realised this once I had left. But it was another person at the reception than the one who forced me to buy the upgrade. I was only reluctantly given a full receipt of the entire bill at check-out, too, maybe because they feared that I would find out that they charged me the breakfast incorrectly. So for me, this was not just one person having a bad day, this feels very intentional. So the hotel would get 5 stars from me, but the pricing policy 1 star at best. You can decide yourself whether it is worthwhile to stay there, but check the details of your reservation and the bill once presented at check-out. It is a shame that they turn a great stay into a very annoying experience for no good reason.

Room tip: Get a room with sea view, but check the fine print carefully!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Linn A, Leder  at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your review, it is much appreciated.
We are also very glad to hear you enjoyed most of your stay and found the food to be excellent and the staff helpful.

Regarding your unfortunate experience with the reservation I will try to explain what we believe has been the issue. Please do not hesitate to send us an email directly so we can try to help you further if this does not explain it.
You can send this to kirkenes@olavthon.no

When making a reservation at booking.com our guests have to choose if they want our rooms to be single or double occupancy. This is the misunderstanding we see happens often and the reason for the comment from our reception.
If our double/twin rooms are booked for single occupancy, as it seems was the case in this instant, the price is lower because it is for one person. If the same room is booked for double occupancy (two persons) it costs 200 NOK more and therefore this is what was charged extra upon your arrival.
We see that guests do misunderstand this and we have contacted booking.com regarding this to see if there is anything we can do to help with the situation. We have also asked that they get in touch with you to see if this is indeed what has been the case in this instant.

Please do know we are definitely not trying to cheat our guests and it is of course not intended.

Regarding the breakfast our room price is divided between breakfast and accommodation on the receipt due to different taxes on food and room. If you look at the total price at the end of your receipt it is the same price as the booking as all our rooms are always including breakfast.

I do hope this explanation was satisfactory to you and as mentioned please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any further information.
Again we are glad to hear you enjoyed most of the stay and we do apologize for the misunderstandings regarding your reservation.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Good hotel at the sea and close to Hurtigruten Quay. Very good restaurant with local food of good quality and really good service! Fantastic gratin acted king crabs and good proposal of wine. Recommended!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your recommendation and for taking the time to send us your feedback, it is much appreciated.
Glad to hear you loved the local food and wine as well as the service in our restaurant.
Hope to welcome you back in the future and thank you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Wonderful hotel in great location. Good variety of breakfast spread and complimentary drink station (tea, nespresso coffee machine and hot chocolate) available 24 hours. Helpful front desk (I'm sorry I forgot his name - a lovely Filipino guy). Ask for room facing the waterside. We actually saw our first northern light just outside of the hotel!!

Room tip: Definitely the room facing the waterfront!
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and for staying with us this year.
Glad to hear you liked both the location and breakfast and complimentary drinks station. It is also lovely to hear you got to experience the northern lights just outside the hotel.
Thank you again and welcome back.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This is a simple but good chain of Norwegian hotels that compete with the likes of Mercure and Marrriott Courtyard hotels. The Kirkenes hotel is very well-located by the sea, with a humongous lobby with a restaurant and spacious but spartan rooms.

Breakfast is plentiful, though not varied and they offer all-around coffee and hot chocolate at the lobby. When in Norway on a budget, Thon is always a good choice and the Kirkenes hotel does not disappoint those who know what to expect.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind comments and review, it is much appreciated. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you find the whole Thon chain to be a good option when in Norway.
Welcome back another time and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I especially enjoyed how the view of the water and distant mountains was accessible for everyone at the entrance and in the restaurant. The food was wonderful through the three days I spent there on business. We got served their apple tart three days in a row though, which is a minor thing, but yet a bit too often.

The service was great. With only one exception - when several people were checking in or out they were slow at getting more receptionists to smooth the process.

We had a small conference room for 10 people, and it was a bit too tight and crammed to spend full working days in. Next time I'd choose a more spacious room.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your review and for your very interesting comments and general feedback.
We are very glad to hear you liked the view and enjoyed the food during your stay.
Regarding the check in and out we will definitely look into this, thank you for letting us know and the same with the apple tart.
We do have both smaller and larger conference rooms so please do not hesitate to contact us next time for a larger and more spacious room.
Hope to see you again, thank you and welcome back.