“Food let the hotel down.”

Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights, half board (18/3/2012 - 25/3/2012), on arrival we were checked in with the minium of fuss and were shown to our room, we were offered an upgrade to a seaview suite at a price which we turned down and in fact when we got to our room although we were on the side of the hotel (Room 204) we had a good seaview anyway. It was a lovely big room very clean and well appointed, large shower in a very nice marble clad bathroom with seperate toilet inside the bathroom with its own door. Bathrobes provided. As stated in previous review it could do with a kettle in the room, not every one likes coffee although it didn`t affect us as we always take a travel kettle. Fridge and safe in room at no extra cost. Pool andpool area was very clean, we didn`t use it as it was to cold. The food was not 5*, the breakfast , we thought, was better than dinner, cereals, pastries, meats, cheeses, eggs (boiled, fried,scrambled), fresh fruit, breads but everything was only luke warm even when it was being replenished. For dinner there was not much selection for the main course and I tended to just have salads, there was a good selection of desserts. It lacks a grill station where you can have a chioce of meat and fish and have it freshly cooked in front of you, at breakfast it nice to be able to have freshly made pancakes or waffles. The restaurant at dinner was very understaffed, the staff were always very helpful and worked very hard, some people were clearing their own plates away, I think staffing levels need to be looked at. My husband played 3 rounds of golf and Maria at the front desk was always very helpful in arranging the golf and the transport for him, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were very helpful. At the end of the day for what we paid it was very good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank marilyn1512
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Marilyn,
We would like to thank for taking your time and post your kind review regarding your stay with us.
Our guest’s experiences are our major concern and your comments will most certainly help in motivate our team.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for a week in March 2012. Good points:
The hotel itself is marvellous; very well appointed, clean and comfortable.
Fantastic bathrooms with shower stalls the size of a small room.
Convenient modern ceiling fan in room - good if aircon is not really suitable.
Terrific main pool and good childrens' play equipment.
Best beds of any hotel I have stayed in worldwide.
Bad points:
To reinforce what others have said on this site - the hot food at dinner is not hot by any means and really lets the whole place and the Crowne Plaza brand down. Even bringing the problem with the food to the attention of the dining room staff did not merit any reaction from them never mind having them try to rectify the problem.
The other point about the food is the servery area - none of the cold food is in a chilled/cooled situation as everything sits out on marble displays with no covering or protection. This may be OK in March but I don't know what it would be like in the height of summer.
Another negative point is the staff who were a bit hit and miss in their attitude. When we checked in we were not even advised of dining times or where the dining room or any other facilities were situated in the hotel. Most staff seemed to be concentrating on the large Saga contingent in the hotel.
There is also little evidence of assistance on providing information on the local area; you have to specifically ask for, say, a bus timetable rather than have one offered if you just ask about buses.
The area around the pool is worrying as it is like a roughcast wall, but you walk on it - complete with the small stone being loose. It is the same aound the childrens' pool so not good for small sensitive feet and I image a lot of grazed knees and elbows due to trips/falls.
My recommendation would be to go on a B+B basis - the breakfasts are fine if you are not looking for hot fried eggs and bacon. Try some of the lovely restaurants in the nearby Marina area for lunch and/or dinner. Several have decked areas where you overlook the private yachts moored in the Marina and it's all very tranquil and realaxing.

Room Tip: You get a side sea view as standard so, unless you plan to spend a lot of time on the balcony, it...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary B

Dear Mary B,

We would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your opinion.

We do appreciate your constructive comments on our standards and service and please rest assured that your opinion will be shared with the Management team, in order to continuously improve the quality of our services.

May we have another change to welcome you at our hotel and show you the improvements done.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was great!
I stayed for three days for a business conference on the middays of March.
My room was on the fifth flour but I was in my friends rooms on the fourth and tenth flours and the view was great on everyone's room.
I loved the bed because it was super-confortable and there was a glass that let you see throught the shower to the room and to the toilet, so I could watch television as I took a bath! :D
What I needed was a map for the hotel's facilities. I had to look by myself where were the swimming pools and the bar. I would like to have a little map on my room to look at and think of what I could do with my free time.

Room Tip: Every room is good!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank carlapgg

Dear Carla,
We are very pleased that your stay encounters your expectations. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the 'map' for the hotel facilities.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Crown Plaza Vilamoura for 4 nights. I understood this to be a 5 * hotel and whilst the hotel itself was very well appointed and the staff seemed very pleasant, I was expecting rather more. The bedrooms did not have a kettle, just a coffee making machine, which you had to purchase coffee for. If you wanted to boil up plain boiled water, this was not easy as the machine misbehaved and water poured out from underneath. I wanted some ice from room service and was advised I would have to pay for this. The bathroom did not have nay of the usual complimentary toiletries or shower cap. As I had only come away for a few days, I had not brought all toiletries with me as I had expected them to be provided in the bathroom. The shower gel provided in the dispenser was not of a high quality and indeed appeared to disagree with some people. The breakfast was satisfactory but not up to 5* standards received in other hotels. The choices of breads, fruits, cheeses and meats etc were limited as was the cooked breakfast. Overall - breakfast was disappointing

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank RiufanLeedswife

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review posted in Tripadvisor on the 26th of March 2012.
Your comments will be discussed internally and please do rest assured that they will help us improving and also provide better guest experience.
May we have another opportunity to welcome you at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We travelled here in february . We expected the weather to be varied but were pleasantly suprised when we had sunshine every day it was gorgeous.
The only downfall was 3 hour delay when we arrived. . We were scared our pick up would of left but actually the driver had checked our arrival time and knew we would be late. The driver was from a company called yellowfishtransfers com we were relieved and impressed by the service they provided.
This hotel was lovely by the beach very modern and spacious .
The resort itself is not very big easy to get around .its all set round the marina with shops an bars an restaurant s .
There are lots of golfers there.
We went to a local market ,it was ok.
It was very warm but not warm enough to venture into the sea or pool.
I would certainly visit this hotel again .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rasputini G

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review posted on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to know that your stay with us encountered your expectations.
We at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura are looking forward to welcome you back again.
Kindest Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
0.6 km away
1.5 km away
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
#9 of 48 in Quarteira

Been to Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve? Share your experiences!