De Hiddinghhoeve(Stadskanaal)
B&B Creatieve Chaos(Stadskanaal)
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 July 2015

On the plus side, Comfy beds, nice balcony, great friendly staff, especially Inge and Richard, good food and location was perfect for us. On the down side, room extremely warm, however stayed during a heatwave and in fairness not a lot the hotel could do about that. All in all good value for your money. One day we will make it to the Wiz Art Cafe .....

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2015

We booked this Best Western with a GiftFor2 arrangement voucher for 1 night. The hotel is located in the modern centre of Stadskanaal in the province of Groningen, near a theater and shopping centre and free parking around the corner. The staff has been friendly and were willing to help and assist. Unfortunately we had been allocated in a smokers room and the room really smelled bad and there was no way to open the window. It was just for one night, but strange anyway. Ususally it is the other way around, that you have to ask for a smokers room. Officially there is a sauna in the basement, an infrared cabin, but without a shower. What good is that? Breakfast: Buffet is basic but small and a bit chaotic, because all the bread has been covered with towels. The breakfast seating capacity is also small. When the hotel is fully booked, you might have to stand in line.
The beds were ok, but the atmosphere is too warm. Using the ceiling fan was no option for us during the night.
So for us this has been a one night only stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an non-smoking room if you are not a smoker
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed here for two nights. Stadskanaal is not easy to reach. I had to take a train (2 hours) to Assen and then because it was late at night, a taxi to the hotel. The taxi ride cost 85 Euros.

The elevator is PAINFULLY slow.

I only ate in the onsite restaurant at breakfast and it was adequate but not anything special.

The room was fine. The usual small european hotel room with two single beds pushed together to make a larger bed.

The location is fine - beside outdoor shopping centre and right by the canal which is very picturesque.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a lower floor so you can use the stairs - the elevator is SO slow.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I had the privilege to spend 8 days at this premises. The price were suspiciously low (considering it included half board), however to be the one and only option of accommodation in Stadskanaal I am rather satisfied. The hotel is located at the town's main square and are close to the bus station (To actually get to Stadskanaal from Amsterdam is a adventure in itself but this is not the right forum for that story :)). Given that I spent such a long time at this hotel and considering that I don't eat meat the hotel had quite a limited option ingredients to work with. However, they did the best they could and I really appreciate their efforts (8 days of mustard soup with different additives). If you want to exercise there is a fully equipped gym a 5 min walk from the hotel which will let you in for €5. The rooms are very average, their most positive feature is the big bathtub, and negative the 14inch old box of a TV.

The hotel is probably the tallest building in Stadskanaal with its 9 floors and most rooms features a balcony with a rather low fence. Given this and the brick square next to it I guess this is a rather great option if one would be suicidal. If you consider yourself belonging to this category, book the half board option and you will be so eager to see what the staff will be able to cook with their extremely limited amount of ingredients that you most likely won't go through with it.

Bon apetit!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Being used to North American Best Western hotels, we decided to book this hotel when we had to make a trip to Stadskanaal. This hotel was one BIG disappointment. Weird entrance, not so clean hallways, small room ( and a little smelly ) and I can't remember the last time I had seen a tube TV.
When we asked for a second key ( which we didn't think was weird to ask for ), they gave us a hard time but finally dug one out of a little basket full of keys.
Oh, and did I mention the cook checked us in?
Anyhow, once but never again!

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel will be better !
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business