New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great hotel for business travel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
“Great hotel for business travel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Very good hotel for any business traveller. 1 train stop from Schiphol airport, shuttle booked if needed. Overall nice and clean, staff are very friendly. Priority club members get a free drink in the bar, restaurant serves good food and the restaurant staff are very friendly and welcoming. Many thanks to the member of staff Johan who is always an example of professionalism.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Adobrynin,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay. Our employees will be pleased to read your compliments as well.

We are looking forward to welcome you again as a guest in our hotel in the future.

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Really nice hotel, all of the staff are really friendly and cannot help you enough. Particularly my waiter, Simon, who spoke fantastic English (possibly better than myself) and was very helpful, setting up a table for me on the couch rather than in the main resteraunt.

Will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: Join priority club, the excellent reception staff will upgrade you if they have a better room availa...
Dear Covmeister,

First of all we would like to thank you for having taking the time to write your comments and post them on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

It is nice to read that you appreciate our hotel and find our staff to be really friendly and helpfull.

My team and I would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in the future,

BE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Dining experience was great! Service was excellent especially from one of the waiter, Simon. Great welcome and he takes care about everything. Thanks

Dear Emilie D.,

Thank you very much for informing us about your pleasant dining experience. We have passed you compliment to our staff, and Simon in specific. It was great having you, and we are looking forward to welcoming you next time.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I've been staying at this hotel regularly for around 4 years. Whilst the facilities/rooms/food are all fine, the reason I return is for the people. It is extremely rare for a corporate hotel to attract and keep staff who genuinely seem to care about their hotel and you as an individual. This matters more to me than some of the more pretentious boutique offerings. I recommend this small oasis in the middle of Schipol for business or pleasure.

Dear Andrew F.,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay, we are very thankful for your review.

It is great to read that you appreciate the genuinely caring attitude of our employees. I can assure you that we have shared your kind feedback with our employees. As you may understand this is the experience we are aiming for as your hosts in the hotel.

On behalf of the entire staff at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - Schiphol we would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Groningen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions and have always enjoyed it (see my previous review). It particular it offers better facilities than most Schiphol hotels (pool, gym, executive lounge) at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, on this visit everything went a bit wrong.

The hotel shuttle was late, which was irritating as the weather was rather unpleasant.

Check in was slow and were initially not given an executive room, although we had booked one. This was corrected by the receptionist, but she seemed quite unfriendly for some reason.

I was a little disappointed by the executive room, so I rang up reception and asked if we could pay for an upgrade to a junior suite. I was told no suites at all were available. Since the hotel seems quiet I checked this on the internet and found that a junior suite was available. I rang reception again and was told once again that no suite was available. I then asked to see the "duty manager", who told me a suite was available. But they would only allow me to upgrade at walk in rate and not the rate advertised on the hotel website. (which implied 100 Euros more as oppose to 30 Euros more). This didn't strike me as good value, so I decided to stay in the room I had. 30 minutes later the same "manager" said he had checked with the "general manager"and we could have the upgrade for nothing. This of course was very nice, but an hour of ringing a very unhelpful reception and being mislead had left me feeling very un-relaxed.

Next problem was dinner. I have eaten at this hotel before and found the food of an above average standard. Not this time! My first course of swordfish with potato salad featured undercooked swordfish and a salad with the consistency of the huzaren salads you can buy in Dutch petrol stations. My main course of lamb featured perfectly cooked lamb, but cold and seriously undercooked boiled potatoes. The markup on wine appeared to be a factor of five, which I find excessive. Service was not very efficient and the staff have the rude habit of reply in English even when you speak to them in Dutch.

The catering in the executive lounge in this hotel has always been disappointing and this has not changed. The evening "snacks" available were crisps, peanuts and six small spoons of a smoked fish salad. Not acceptable for this standard of hotel. Breakfast in the club lounge is advertised on the hotel website, but was not available

Finally there is a hotel branded glossy magazine in each room informing guests of local shops and restaurants. This is of course quite normal. However, in this case it included 4 pages of large glossy adverts for prostitutes. Moreover, there was an editorial section telling you that you could expect to pay 50 Euros for full or oral sex from a window prostitute or go to a club for a more "classy" experience. I am anything but a prude, but I do not believe that an international hotel should be promoting prostitution. Moreover, I'd have a hard job explaining the adverts to a curious child.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear TravelingCelt,

Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your most recent stay in our hotel. Feedback like this gives us the possibility to adjust our services and products where needed.

We are sorry to hear that - on your last visit - 'everything went wrong'. This is not the service we are aiming for.
We agree that we should have handled the room upgrade in a more professional and effective way. We have spoken about that in our team.

I have passed your comments about dinner and the Executive lounge to my F&B Manager. We hope to give you an excellent F&B experience, as written in some of the other Trip Advisor comments, in the near future.

Finally we understand your concern about the adds and information in the Nightlife section of the Amsterdam Exclusive. We provide this magazine, being an informative tourist information guide, created to inform the guests of over 100 hotels in Amsterdam about all aspects of the city.

Again we are sorry for the inconvenience you suffered during your last stay but we hope you will give us another opportunity during your next stay to show you that this was an exception to the rule.

Area General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
0.6 km away
3.6 km away
citizenM Schiphol Airport
1.4 km away
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol? Share your experiences!