“Great park but: WARNING! Please read this before booking with Eurocamp!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berny Riviere
La Croix du Vieux Pont
Reviewed 16 August 2017

In my opinion, Eurocamp is false advertising and misrepresenting its properties.

On 9th May I booked a holiday for 17th to 22nd July for myself, my partner and our two children. I was specifically seeking accommodation of a high standard, which would be suitable for our needs which were primarily for quality, spacious accommodation. Having reviewed the properties on the Eurocamp website, the 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom Espace accommodation appeared to be appropriate and given that it was the most costly on offer (at £568.00 for 5 nights, or £113.60 per night), I was confident that this was reflective of the quality of the property. I made the booking and paid in full at the point of booking.

The Eurocamp website describes the accommodation below. I have highlighted the key words that in my view represent false advertising of your product as evidenced by the photographs provided with this review.

Spacious in design, the 3 bedroom Espace holiday home is for those who want to maximise living space. You’ll find French windows leading out from the spacious, modern living area – perfect for bringing the outdoors in. The diner-kitchen and modern bathroom are both equipped with high quality fittings that make it easy to forget this is a mobile home. With a master bedroom, two twin bedrooms (or 1 twin and 1 bunk room) and comfortable double sofa bed, the Espace has space for 8 people. The majority of our Espace 3 bedroom holiday homes are equipped with air-conditioning. If you’d like more outdoors living space, choose the option of a decked terrace too.

As you can see from the imagery, the standard of the accommodation provided is significantly different from that described and photographed on the website. I believe they have falsely represented the product. I believe the accommodation to be very poor standard relative to the advertising on the website and based on the costs charged.

Upon arrival at the property at 7.00pm in the evening I immediately raised my complaints with the Eurocamp on site representatives. These complaints were summarised as:

1. The very poor quality of the accommodation and in particular the lack of indoor living space.
2. The overall cleanliness of the accommodation was very poor.
3. There was a screw protruding from the wall in the children’s bedroom which was sharp and dangerous.
4. There was no awning provided to facilitate shade in the outdoor space.
5. The accommodation was exceptionally hot (partly due to the above) and only 1 fan provided and no air-conditioning was installed. Having taken the most costly option available it should be that air-conditioning is provided given the wording in your advertisement.
6. There was a slab protruding from the front garden / play area that was sharp cornered and dangerous.
7. I had not requested the ‘loft’ style accommodation which seemed to serve no useful purpose with 2 plastic mattresses strewn on the floor and a vertical ladder giving access (again extremely dangerous to young children). This was described by your representative as a value-add feature.
8. There was no hot water due to an error with the boiler which could not be reset.
9. The front door could not be locked as the door did not fit the frame properly.
10. The quality of the fittings and appliances was extremely poor and certainly not as described. In fact there was obvious rust on the cooker and kitchen area and the entire area was extremely dirty.
11. Far from being spacious, as described, there was very limited living space and in what should have been a seating area, we were provided with only 2 upright wooden chairs and a broom.

On the evening of check-in their representatives offered a parasol by means of addressing the missing awning, however no other remedies were offered as I was advised that the entire site was full. I advised them that I would, through necessity, stay at the accommodation that evening but that I would return the following morning to seek a full resolution to my concerns.

I returned on the morning of the 18th July and reiterated my complaints. I was not offered any alternative accommodation at this time. I advised I would therefore have no alternative but to leave the accommodation and requested an immediate refund so I could make alternative arrangements. I was advised that this was not within their policy and was invited to speak with your area manager, which I did. I reiterated my complaints and was advised that there may be the possibility of alternative accommodation from 19th July, however I was not invited to look at this property and no certainties could be provided. On this basis I reiterated my request for a refund but was advised by the area manager that he was not authorised to provide this and suggested I speak to the UK head office whilst there. I accepted this offer and was transferred to one of their advisors who reiterated that a refund would not be discussed until my return to the UK and that whilst she was sorry that I was not satisfied with the accommodation nothing could be done until at least the following day. This would have been half way through our stay and in any event I advised that if the accommodation offered to us already was indicative of your overall standard of accommodation that I was not willing to accept this. As stated previously, at no time were any offers made to allow us to inspect a potential alternative. I was advised to raise my complaint on return to the UK.

I subsequently identified alternative accommodation on the same campsite with another provider, which clearly resulted in additional unplanned costs.

I have now referred the matter to ABTA as the best Eurocamp would offer was a 30% refund!
Please see photos before booking!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Kris W
There are newer reviews for La Croix du Vieux Pont

Reviewed 16 August 2017

We visited with our two boys together with another family with the sons and daughter. Wasn't sure what to expect, so arrived somewhat unsure.
The site has lots to do for all of the family including a number of pools, flumes, ten pin bowling, fishing, archery, canoeing, tennis etc etc etc......
Bars and restaurants on site cater for most tastes and generally good value. The shop and bakery mean you don't have to leave site unless you want to tour the area.
Tons of World War I and II history including The Armistice museum. Read up about the area before you go to get the most out of your holiday.
Aim to get back to the site late afternoon to get the benefit of a few cocktails at the beach bar complete with large circular golden sand beach with a swimming pool in the middle. Staff are excellent and really helpful.
Do the archery on a Tuesday to make the most of the deal.
We enjoyed it some much, we're all going back in September although this time in a chalet. There is a range of caravans to pick from, some are getting tired and some nearly new. The latter have a/c which was brilliant when we were there in temperatures up to 36 degrees......
In summary.....brilliant

Room Tip: Ask for the Modus caravan
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DSM447
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Disappointing! A beautiful area of France has this ENORMOUS campsite full of loud, unruly guests.

We stopped here for one night on the way back to the ferry and we will do our utmost to avoid it in the future.

The main negatives:

1) overpriced shop
2) huge number of cars driving too quickly
3) restaurants on site are overpriced (go to Le Donjon nearby, it's lovely!)
4) the washing facilities for those in tents are very smelly and not well kept
5) it is EXTREMELY loud late at night with kids running around till after midnight and the pitches very close together.
6) unhygienic changing area by swimming pool

The positives:

1) our daughter loved the pools
2) the kids clubs (which we didn't use) seemed well organised although the chants of Canvas Holidays slagging off the rivals Eurocamp were distasteful, (but rather humorous)
3) play parks and table tennis aplenty, for no additional cost
4) tasty items from the bakery
5) the local village square is very pretty with little bars/restaurants/shops.

If you want a site for (English speaking only) families that caters for those who want their children to disappear off to an organised club, then this could be for you.

If you want value for money, a taste of France, a friendly campsite where guests consider others, then avoid this place at all costs. We will do in the future.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank cothwood83
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Absolute waste of time! Phoned up prior to arriving to check availability and prices for 6 people - Everything seemed to tick our box's. We drove 4 hours to get to the site and once we arrived we were told that the prices we were quoted had tripled and that if we didn't like it we should "go somewhere else." As we had driven 4 hours to get here we all agreed that we would pay the extra money. However, once we had handed over the money, one of the members of staff who claimed to be the manager, turned to another member of staff and told them to keep an eye on us. We then proceeded to follow the "manager" to our overly expensive site, in which we were gestured to park our cars up next to a line of bushes/trees with a little gap in the middle. We then walked through the trees to find a muddy, disused pitch located between the bushes, as mention before, and a 6ft tall brick wall. The "Manager" then laughed to her colleague as they left us.

Furthermore, we asked for a pitch with an electricity hook-up and what we were given was a power outlet attached to the brick wall with a piece of slate covering over it to make it "waterproof." All along our plot parallel to the brick wall was other people's rubbish.

We were paying 72€ a night to stay here and it's absolutely disgusting how we've been treated. Never again.

Stayed: August 2017
3  Thank Jrobsy
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

It's not difficult to see why this campsite is popular with English families. Only a couple of hours away from Calais, it's a great option if on a driving holiday. We stayed for 4 nights on our way to lake Garda in Italy as a stopover. As we so often do, we booked with canvas holidays because they allow bookings that are less than a week. Also, for our kids, it increases the chances of us being accommodated on a part of the campsite with other English speaking families that they can make friends with.

The campsite itself is reasonably big. We booked a safari tent deluxe which was situated at the third lake near the lodges and the zip wire. It was a 15 minute walk to the bakery and the pool, 7 minute walk to the man made beach which my little one loved (one way). We were worried about the walk when we first checked in, but the safari tent itself was in such a beautiful spot over looking the lake. We watched the sun set and lay out under the stars and listened to the lake. For our kids, there was still enough space to play around the tent with a football pitch just on one side where they made lots of friends whilst we fired up the bbq. This all outweighed the 15 walk to the bakery and the pool, which, in fairness was a lovely walk and perhaps longer than necessary as the kids were often distracted by the playground or something else that grabbed their attention.

Overall we thought it was a very pretty and well organised campsite, with lots to do for kids of all ages. From the pool and beach to the zip wire, pedalos, kayak and football pitches to name but a few things. We were unlucky enough to have rain so the fact that the pool could be heated and covered was welcomed. Canvas also put on various kids clubs. We met lots of families doing a day trip to Disneyland and Paris. We didn't bother as it was the start of a bigger holiday so we were happy to make use of what was on offer on the site.

A few tips. The supermarket on site is a bit pricey. The supermarket in the village is a 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive and better priced and well stocked. And with the current exchange rate, drinks, ice creams etc felt expensive so worth stocking up at the supermarket. I thought the bar was quite pricey too. We didn't eat in the restaurant because we don't mind sticking some meat on a BBQ and chopping up some salad. The burger/pizza bar seemed reasonably priced though. There was a nicer restaurant and some close by in the village but we didn't bother. Also, if you are driving, with the rubbish exchange rate, you might want to bring your own condiments from the uk.

I should say, the pub near the beach loved a karaoke night, and the noise did travel. But don't let that put you off. Just because we were happy to chill out at our tent in the evenings, we didn't begrudge anyone else enjoying a night of singing Justin Bieber songs! We were all on holiday, after all.

Just one thing. I personally think everyone and all the holiday companies at the site should put pressure on the owners to do more to stop people driving their cars too fast across the site. Just a few signs reminding everyone there are children about would be a start and signs for a 5km speed limit.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6.1 km away
Domaine de Montaigu
Domaine de Montaigu
#1 of 1 in Ambleny

Been to La Croix du Vieux Pont? Share your experiences!