“Only giving a 2* as the campsite itself was good”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berny Riviere
La Croix du Vieux Pont
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My girlfriend and I, along with our young child under a year, have just returned from La Croix Du Vieux Pont after a week long stay with Eurocamp.

We arrived to find our accomodation had been organised early - however what we found was that the accomodation was filthy. We allowed our child to go on the floor as any baby/toddler wants to do when learning to crawl/walk, just while we unloaded. I then picked him up to find he was filthy and it was evident that the floor hadn't been cleaned in some time. I swept and mopped the floor with the cleaning equipment provided, but these were also filthy. Should I really have to pay for my own cleaning equipment more than anti-bac spray and a cloth, whilst on holiday? I didn't book through the sun holiday scheme, I booked and paid full price, which made matters worse.

The list of things we found wrong was endless, and needless to say I have written a letter of complaint. It came to light that the people cleaning the caravans were the reps; I would have expected a dedicated cleaning service at the very least.

We were placed in dated accomodation next to the main road that leads into La Fabrique (for sat navs, this is more accurate to where the location of the campsite is). There were items missing from the inventory also, and we had to go without a highchair for the first day as we were told too many families had booked at the same time - I booked this holiday months in advance, surely this should have already been sorted? When we did get a highchair, it was given to us without being properly cleaned. The pushchair given to us was also filthy, but this was however replaced within 2 hours. We then found mould in our bedroom...!

The kids club (I did not visit it myself, but my partner did) was apparently also, what a suprise, dirty, with the toys and areas for kids to play on covered in dirt and mud. Whilst my partner was at the kids club, I found that the ignition did not work on the cooker, the microwave had a european plug on it but the wall sockets were the 3 pin english type, the rear of the caravan had become a dumping ground for old tenants' coal from the BBQ, the shower was intermittently hot to cold, and one of the sun loungers had a cracked beam! All in all, i definately was not impressed with the accomodation.

The only thing that made the stay here better was the site itself. It is shared by several different companies and kept to a high standard in all other respects. The pools were great and spotlessly clean, the beach area was lovely to sit round and have a drink in the afternoon, and the amenities/site shop were ideal for the things you were missing. The only bad thing that was from the site was a pizza we had one night from the takeaway which was burnt, but this wasn't a big deal in the scheme of things!

As can probably be told from above, the holiday left me feeling stressed out and even more tired than when I left. I wouldn't book with eurocamp again, however I may return to the site if I ever own a touring caravan, or in a tent, as then you atleast know the accomodation you are staying in.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Daz87
There are newer reviews for La Croix du Vieux Pont

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We have stayed here for 4 days out of our 7 so far and are very disappointed. We have stayed at various Keycamp sites throughout Europe and this one has to be the worst so far. The bar ( which holds the key to Wifi) is closed until 3pm every day and all day on a Wednesday. The Wifi is an astonishing 5 euros a day to connect to. The takeaway ( with it's inedible food) is closed apparently most of the day and all day on a Thursday. Nothing appears to be open. The only things to do here are swim, fish or hire an expensive bicycle. The area itself is lacking in attractions or areas to visit. There is a lovely local bar/restaurant - Chez Michelin but this doesn't open til 5.30. I wouldn't bring kids to this camp as I'm bored so dread to think how they would be. Expensive ( 5 euros a pint, meals overpriced), tired and in need of dragging kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Might be more to do in the Summer months but this place doesn't close until the end of November. Staff are clearly bored and uninterested... Enough said. Would not come back here.

Room Tip: Vans close to the road are kept awake all night with traffic and beeping horns or staff music.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Just returned from a week's stay at La Croix du Vieux Pont. We stayed in a Thompson Al Fresco vivaldi caravan using our Tesco points. After staying on a number of Haven and Park Resorts sites in the UK, we were very impressed by the standard of the caravan. Nicely decorated, spacious and well set out, comfy beds, good glazing and lovely decking area with outside seats. It was also nice that unlike on UK sites, the caravans weren't on top of one another, each had a good size plot and was separated by hedges so you felt you had some privacy from your next door neighbours. As previous reviews have said, be aware that you are only provided with blankets, not duvets - we took our own thin duvets and we were glad we did as it got a little cold at night.

The site was excellent, particularly for families. There was a large swimming pool complex with a nice size baby pool (a little cold when we went but sure it wouldn't be a problem if it was a bit warmer), shop and bakery which had freshly baked baguettes every day, bike hire, large fishing lakes, a man-made beach with a lake to paddle in which was perfect for our three year old who made friends with some other children as they built a pond on the beach! There were three playgrounds, ping pong tables and also a bouncy castle, trampolines, go karts, mini golf and pedalo/canoe hire. You can buy a leisure card which covers these activities and is worth it as you get free credit. Only slight donwside was that these facilities only opened at 12pm which is a bit of a shame when you have a toddler who is up at 7am!

Unfortunately Thompson weren't running their kids club when we visited and when it is running it is only for kids 4 years and over, unlike Eurocamp who were still running their kids club and it took children from 6m upwards. This gives it a distinct advantage over the other companies when you have young children.

We ate in the main restaurant and the beach restaurant and both were nice, not overly expensive and were a relaxed and easy atmosphere with the kids.

The site is about an hours drive from Disneyland Paris and Parc Asterix, we visited the latter and had a brilliant day (note at this time of year it is only open at weekends). Plenty of rides for little ones and hardly any queues, unlike for the bigger rides where the queues were massive. We paid 31 euros per adult for parc asterix which compared with 61 euros for euro disney which we felt was too expensive when our kids were so young (3 and 6 months). others on the site took the site bus to Paris for the day which seemed like a good service.

All in all we had a brilliant holiday and couldn't have asked more from the site, i think its perfect for families. We will definitely look at returning in the future.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SarahJeffrey_11
Al_Fresco_11, Al Fresco Holidays Customer Service Team at La Croix du Vieux Pont, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your holiday to La Croix du Vieux Pont, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way home from the south of France in a Canvas mobile home - we just wish we could have stayed longer!

It's a lovely, friendly site with a very nice pool complex.

The bar overlooks the pool and has free wifi. There is a restaurant close by and a takeaway selling chips, pizza etc.

We had a meal in the restaurant, service was friendly, food was nice, reasonably priced and we didn't have to wait long either.

Pitches were smaller than what we'd been used to but they had good privacy and we could just about get our car next to the mobile for loading etc, so can't complain about anything here.

Only fault I have is that it's not that well sign posted! So if you have a sat nav enter the gps co-ordinates into it; these are available on the campsite guides provided by Canvas holidays.

All in all a lovely site and yes we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mikadee
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here the first weekend of July 12 and it was fantastic. Everything a family on a budget could want. The pool complex was brilliant with slides for all abilities. My 2 year old went on all of them. We stayed in a keycamp caravan opposite the kiosk at the first lake. The loyalty cards at the kiosk were great value. They can be used for the go kart track, pedalo, canoes, bouncy castle, trampolines and mini golf etc.
The caravans were in very reasonable condition and ample room for a family of 7. The kitchen was fully stocked and it was great to have a full sized fridge/freezer. The only bad thing I would say is the bed wasn't the most comfy but I still managed a full nights sleep after long fun days.
There is also 2 other lakes one of which has a beach right by the restaurant. The kids loved it and we were able to keep an eye on them while we watched the grand prix.
The campsite is large and had a mix of people from all over but mainly French, Irish and British.
English is spoken in all of the restaurants/bars/shops on site so if you are not multilingual you will be able to get by.
Nearby is the Armistice Clearing which we went to. It's was just amazing to be standing there. This was the only trip we had whilst there but they also do day trips to Disneyland and parc asterix from the campsite and it only takes about 45 minutes to get to Reims and lots of Champagne :-)
We enjoyed it so much that we are heading back on Friday for another long weekend. My 6 year old son thought the campsite was so good he wanted to live there forever. Just can't wait til Friday.
They also do Chalet lodges which looked fantastic but a bit out of my price range.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6.1 km away
Domaine de Montaigu
Domaine de Montaigu
#1 of 1 in Ambleny

Been to La Croix du Vieux Pont? Share your experiences!