“Terrible experience ”
Review of The Gothic Inn

The Gothic Inn
Ranked #26 of 27 New Shoreham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

We went there for just one night.
Let's start with the good things-the location is very convenient and the view from our window was beautiful. But all the rest of the experience was terrible. We had a very tiny room with low ceilings(under the roof). My husband is tall-6'4" and that was a problem. The bed was very small, uncomfortable and making noises every time you turn. The furnitures were very old. The holders on the dresser were broken so we couldn't use it. The night light didn't have a light bulb. The sheets on the bed did not look clean and there were spots on the bed skirt. There was no air condition in the room, just a fan put on the only chair. We have a 6 year old child and in combination with the uncomfortable bed, we were up very early-6:15 or so. The breakfast was served few hours after. Thank God for the good coffee shop we found. Another bad thing in this hotel is the shared bathroom. For 4 rooms on the floor there is only one bathroom (!!) which was occupied 90% of the time. The garbage can there was always full.
We went to the closest beach to the hotel. I think this beach is called "Children's Beach". That's the worst place for kids. It was full of bugs, beer cans in the bushes and piles of sea weed. Very dirty and I also have a petrol spot on my foot from this beach.
I think the whole island is overrated. There is a ferry coming every half hour, the place is packed. Everything is so expensive and there is no reason for that. The business owners just put very high prices for the stuff they sell because it's full with tourists.
We were so excited to go there and now we are extremely disappointed.
I think I will choose different vacation destinations in the future.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The Gothic Inn is ok in a pinch. August in BI is packed & there's not any last minute choices for rooms anywhere. That being said ~ The Gothic Inn had rooms ($200.) ! Just realize that you are sharing a bathroom with three other rooms~a small bathroom that's not new.
Breakfast was nice~however it's prepared by a young man~who didn't get the coffee made till 8:15!
Luckily there is a fabulous little breakfast place next door!
Perks are that you are right next to the main drag from the ferry without being on the noisy tourist street~easy to walk from the ferry with a bag & a bike!
There were clean beach towels every day & fans in the tiny room.
I would choose having a personal bathroom ( especially if you are beaching & biking ) over a breakfast any day!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

But the place needs a little updating. Bed was not comfortable and the fridge had a puddle of water inside it. Not sure where coffee and breakfast was being served. Parking is good and it is right in town.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2017

We've been visiting Block Island for close to 20 years and have stayed all over the island when we're not renting a house. In a pinch we've stayed at The Gothic Inn three times so far, and I will always consider going back because there's something very "family" about this place, meaning when you're there, it kind of feels like you're staying at grandma's house.

There are only about 10 rooms, three on the bottom floor, three on the middle floor and four on the top. You share a bathroom with other guests on each floor. For folks with disability issues, you can try for a bottom floor room, but there will still be stairs going up to the breakfast-sitting room on the middle floor.

For convenience, you almost can't beat this inn -- it's a 5-minute walk from the ferry at Old Harbor and all the little shops and restaurants in town. There's a big lawn out front with adirondack chairs for watching people buzz down Dodge Street, and an outside porch with tables where you can enjoy your complimentary breakfast in good weather.

Each room is quaint, small and clean, with antique furniture, and some have delightful views of the beach and water. There are picnic tables and grills out back along with an outdoor shower to rinse off the sand after a day at the beach, and your hosts will loan you beach towels (bath towels are provided.)

Every morning there's a really nice continental breakfast: bagels, muffins, cinnamon bread, hard boiled eggs, cream cheese, jelly, butter, two kinds of cereal, a huge bowl of freshly made fruit salad, coffee, hot chocolate and orange juice. There's also a small kitchenette on that same second floor in the back where you can store a few things in the mini fridge or use the microwave.

The young man who checked me in kindly carried my large, heavy duffel bag up the very narrow stairs to my room, and was the soul of hospitality throughout. Some people may feel awkward about B&B's -- they require a bit more intimacy with other guests than some many may feel comfortable with, but I think because of the close quarters, people also tend to give each other a lot of space too, which is nice. And at no time when I've stayed there did I ever have to wait for the bathroom!

The owner, Ben, was a delight on the phone when I called to make my reservation and, again, he reminded me a little of my dad. This is not "frilly" kind of place - like most inns and hotels on the island it's filled with antiques and hand-me-down furniture, but it's very clean and cozy and warm spirited. A bit frayed here and there, but then you find yourself surprised to find a little hair dryer in each bathroom!

And the Gothic Inn cannot be beat for location (did I say that already?) as it's across from the National Hotel, a door away from a super, hipster coffee shop, and across the street from the little liquor store. The main island grocery store is at the end of the block.

The down side is just that you may be kept awake by the foghorn in the harbor, or the music thumping away down at the Three Kittens bar until it closes. But that's life in town on BI and we wouldn't have it any other way. Its small inns may be rustic and not to everyone's taste, but if people want big, shiny, brand new, cookie-cutter ... go somewhere else! PLEASE! We'd love to keep BIRI our vacation secret forever!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if that's what makes it special for you.