All reviews fire pit front porch great lunch block island rooms are small lobster roll chowder front desk staff calamari charming hotel corner room luggage room the wait staff great view of the harbor flights of stairs no air conditioning noise from the street
Reviewed 29 September 2016

Its a bit difficult to write a good review for this hotel. Two issues that you probably have learned by now by looking at other reviews and even the hotels website are no air conditioning and no elevators. We stayed in early September, and the heat was not much of an issue, but I would think it would be in mid summer. As to the elevators, this is a four story hotel. You really do a lot of stair climbing. That being said this IS Block Island. This hotel was built in the 19th century. Block Island has among the highest electric rates in the country. I can see why there is not AC or elevator. MOST places on block island lack these two items, so if you want to stay on Block Island, don't expect to find them anywhere else.
The hotel is beautiful and the service great. The requested crib for our two year old was in the room at no extra charge. I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Low a floor as possible and corner room if possible as their is no AC or elevator
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Pennsypete
Reviewed 14 September 2016

I went to Block Island with a local tour company. We stayed at The National Hotel, which is on the National Historic Register. There wasn't any air conditioning nor elevators. We knew that going on this trip. I went with a girlfriend of mine. We requested an ocean view, which they stated would not be a problem. When we arrived, we were ushered into a tiny room with 2 twin beds over looking the parking lot. This was unacceptable. When we went to the front desk to complain, they transferred us to a different room with a view BUT one Queen sized bed. I really did not want to bunk with my friend and she did not want to bunk with me either! We, again, went to the front desk and they sent up a day bed. All of these solutions were uncomfortable and unacceptable. But we had no choice but to tough it out. We did not receive any reduction on the price of the room. I think the staff was just over whelmed after a busy summer. Our trip was the weekend after Labor Day. These kids just wanted to get back to their respective countries. If you do go to the National, be insistent in what you want for your accommodations and recognize that this is just a large bed and breakfast type of hotel.

Room Tip: definitely request an ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

I would like to start by thanking you for coming to Block Island and staying at the National. We have been hosting your tour company for many years now and certainly appreciate that. And I am sorry that you were disappointed in your room. One of the hardest parts of hosting a tour group in a historic property like ours is that all of the rooms are different which makes it hard to give everyone comparable rooms. Our rooming list that we received requested a room on the first floor with two beds, unfortunately we cannot guarantee an ocean view and there sounds like there was some miscommunication regarding that fact. We did try our best to accommodate your requests and again, I am sorry if you were disappointed.

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

My wish the day we visited Block Island is to eat lunch while sitting on a restaurant with the view of the ocean. Price and food did and matter but we got lucky. We had a lovely view of the docks in the front patio. My cold lobster tail sandwich was delicious. My son enjoyed his clams with alfredo sauce and my husband enjoyed his fish and chips. The view was fantastic . We only visited for a day. But it was one of the most memorable birthday of my life. We love Block Island the way it is.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2016

Great location, nice staff, breakfast was good and the bar decent. Very nice outdoor patio as well. Compared to other hotels this time of year the price was the best. Yes, the hotel is dated and the rooms are very small with no AC however you get what you pay for. We stayed overnight during a very humid heat wave on the 3rd floor with no breeze off the ocean, and the noise from the road was very loud. Was not a good night of sleep at all. If you are looking for quietness on the island and relaxation in a climate controlled room this not the place to stay! If looking for a lower cost option within walking distance to the ferry in Old Harbor and shops, ect.... then the National is fine!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2016

Finished our day with a lovely dinner on the deck with a great view. The drinks were great and the food we ordered was very good. we were waiting for a ferry and wanted to take our time and relax. They were very accommodating.

Stayed: August 2016