All reviews martini night wedding coordinator adirondack chairs ocean view beautiful hotel block island air conditioning the hotel manager front lawn the main hotel the barn scallops rehearsal dinner third floor gorgeous views outdoor bar new england
Reviewed 19 September 2018

We're staying in the second building (not the main). The dismal experience starts at check in. Nobody to assist with luggage, building entrance is what you'd expect in a tenement (peeling paint, filthy doors). The rooms reek with a musty smell. It's Sept & cool/cold outside. THERE IS NO HEAT even though the room units are supposed to provide it. My elderly father is particular upset about the lack of heat - the staff brought up 3 blankets. Staff tried to get overhead unit in rooms to throw heat and they won't work in either of our two rooms. We are shocked that the hotel would ask over $250/night per room. We were naive and thought it would be decent or nice at that price. Huge mistake. This is the worst hotel I've stayed at in my entire life - and I'm past 50 years old. If I could have rated less than 1 star I would have.

Room Tip: Best room to rent on Block Island is at a hotel other than Spring House.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
SpringHouseHotelMgmt, Manager at Spring House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Norman:

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your hotel experience. It's unfortunate you use Tripadvisor as a way to besmirch good hotels rather than provide a constructive review that can help future guests learn about perspective accommodations before booking. It is also disappointing that you wrote this review the first night of your two night stay on property. As countless other reviews have shown our front desk staff is always ready, willing, and able to help with luggage upon arrival and departure. Our front desk staff helps our guests will luggage all throughout the season as there are no elevators on Block Island. Our entire property including the Main Building, the Mott House, and the Barn Apartments all feature heat as well as A/C as countless other reviewers have stated. We would also like to take this time to thank our other reviewers for providing accurate feedback about the time they spent at the Spring House Hotel. We are proud to be the number one rated hotel on Block Island and we hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

The hotel was up a very steep long hill from the ferry. There is no elevator in the hotel. We were on 3rd. floor, no AC in public spaces about 60 stairs up.
Very small room, no closet, little place to put anything. The bathroom was minuscule!
Could barely turn around in the shower.AC very inefficient.
No breakfast or room service.
Staff rather indifferent . $380.nightly.
Views extraordinary.

Room Tip: Stay in the more expensive Inn accross the Street, also owned by Spring House
Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I had a great time! This hotel has the most beautiful view on the entire island. We enjoyed our dinner while watching the sunset. Food was really good and the staff was amazing. It was a really busy night but everything went perfectly well. Hotel manager (I think his name is Frankie) was really helpful and made sure everyone has a good night. I will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

My family and I have been visiting the Spring House consistently throughout the summer for years, and our most recent experience was exceptional. The environment and location of the Spring House is unlike any other on the island, as is the staff. The restaurant always has a busy, happy flow. Both the food and service exceeded our expectations during a busy August weekend night. We are looking forward to seeing you again in September.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2018

This hotel property which was built in the late 19th Century features beautiful views and has an excellent bar and bar staff, but even for high season is grossly overpriced at over $300.00 per night for a single person. This hotel is evidently grandfathered for ADA purposes as the hotel does not possess an elevator for three flights of stairs and upon seeing a lone woman and two children try to lug luggage up the stairs without anyone helping them,this told me something. The hotel staff are mostly young immigrants on Visa's (as is most of the island) and although very polite and considerate, really don't go out of their way to help. I waited quite a bit of time on the porch by the bistro to see if a staff member would approach me as three of them were standing around and only got there attention when a staff member coming to work came by and asked if i wanted anything. For the four days i spent here the door to my room was extremely stuck and i had to kick it in to get it open. I requested help from the front desk on several occasions for the maintenance man to look at and no one ever came. Front desk wanted to charge me $3.00 for a package of M&M's. There is no pool. Food in the bistro and bar is good but extremely pricey. I went downtown to the village to eat daily. Many establishments on Block Island only accept cash but have ATM machines available.. As far as this hotel is concerned, It has great potential,but needs to be marketed more creatively and priced reasonably. For high season,a respectable price might be $200.00 per night. It is my understanding that many of the same people come here every year as it is tradition. Beware of the cab service as upon arriving at Block island, I was charged $11.00 by a cab driver just to take me up the hill a quarter mile away. This hotel seriously needs shuttle service, especially for its older and disabled clientele. In conclusion, don't judge a book by its cover. Looks great on a post card. And who cares if mark Twain slept here,that was then,and this is now.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo