Lowest prices for your stay
Mercure
US$60
US$59
FindHotel
US$55
Expedia.comUS$59
Hotels.comUS$59
TraveluroUS$61
All reviews leisure facilities ordered room service safe distance leisure club bus station couple of weeks fantastic stay town centre reception desk comfortable beds pleasant experience tea coffee one night stay excellent hotel would stay again excellent value for money wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 May 2022 via mobile

Housekeeping do a great job, the place was spotless. Reception staff on arrival and check out were lovely, friendly and efficient. Despite poor review we’d seen breakfast was tasty enough just a little too busy, staff were doing their best but didn’t have space. Sadly that’s where the positives end, we ate dinner in the restaurant the FA Cup final was playing. When a black player missed a penalty a diner at another table shouted a racist term. I was horrified, I was dining with my mixed race child who thankfully didn’t hear and wouldn’t have understood it anyway. When we left the restaurant I asked to speak to the duty manager. The General Manager arrived I informed him of the incident and he took no action all he said was that he would call the police for me if I wanted to pursue it. No apology, no action, didn’t speak to the racist sat in his restaurant. Disgusting.

Room tip: I’d try another hotel if you don’t want to encounter bigots
Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
General Manager St Helens Hotel, General Manager at Mercure St. Helens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2022

Dear Emma

Thank you for your review and again I have to send my apologies. I personally spoke to you at the time and due to the nature of the issue I have offered to call the police so they can deal with the matter as I can't go accusing other guests of being racist based on what you have told me. at the time all you wanted to do is throw the other guest out without having the full facts or other witnesses to confirm what has happened. I have asked other guests and staff which were present at the time and no one has heard what was said.

Once again my apologies and thank you for your review

Reviewed 14 May 2022

Whilst I do not have any complaints about the room or the meals provided I must make you aware of the parking arrangements and the hidden pitfalls. When signing in at reception I asked about the car parking and was told to enter my car details into the computer. I was assured by the receptionist that that was all that was necessary. There were no prominent notices to make me aware of anything else I needed to do. My stay was for two nights.
A few weeks later I received a letter from Civil Enforcement Limited stating that I had been parking illegally on the second night of my stay. At no time had I been told that I had to check my vehicle in every day. I rang up the hotel for an explanation, and, yes, you've guessed it, it was not their concern. They did not deal with parking issues. That was the responsibility of Civil Enforcement Limited. They gave me a number to ring, which was the same one I had found on the website and tried calling without any success because they do not discuss cases over the phone. My next move was to appeal to CEL, who subsequently sent me a letter asking for proof of my stay, which I provided them with. In the meantime I contacted the hotel again, and once more they were not interested.
Today, despite valid proof of my stay, my appeal has been turned down because of a "major keying error" meaning my vehicle registration mark was not entered properly. Yet what I had keyed in was perfectly acceptable for the first night. My fine of £100 has however been reduced to £20. Make what you want out of that! I can appeal to the ombudsman, but then CEL pass everything over to another agency and the proposed fine goes back to £100.
In my opinion the hotel has a duty of care to each customer parking a car on the premises to tell them how to register their vehicle properly in order to cover the length of their stay and warn them of the consequences if they don't. Saying that it not their responsibility is not good enough. No doubt the hotel and CEL will have some reciprocal agreement.
BE WARNED

Date of stay: March 2022
1  Thank lesf2013
Reviewed 8 May 2022 via mobile

Had a great stay at this hotel, really friendly staff, great food, nice atmosphere with a lovely pool and sauna and fully equipped gym.
Good atmosphere, chilled gardens to relax. All in all highly recommended.

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2022

We stayed for two separate nights. The hotel was clean and tidy. The buffet breakfast was a disappointment on both stays. On the first visit we were not handed a fact sheet but this was provided on our second visit.

Date of stay: April 2022
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
General Manager St Helens Hotel, General Manager at Mercure St. Helens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2022

Dear Sarah

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 17 April 2022

Came over to St. helens for a long day of tattooing, decided to grab a cheap hotel. The price was excellent, lovely staff and reception was clean.

My room unfortunately had no hot water, for that reason I give 3 stars. Bed was comfy, clean sheets and tea/coffee provided.

Great budget hotel if you’re looking for a quick stay, location is fair.

Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a survey following your recent stay with us.

We all take great pride in providing our guests with the highest standards of service, therefore I am very sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and we hope to have the opportunity of warmly welcome you again in the near future. If I can be of any assistance to you in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on hb4z1-gm@accor.com

Yours sincerely,