The Dragon Hotel(Montgomery)
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$90
US$88
Travelocity
The Castle Hotel(Bishops Castle)
US$169
Priceline
Gregynog Hall(Newtown)
The Longmynd(Church Stretton)
Knighton Hotel(Knighton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsafternoon teamellington hallsandwichesdining roomcaravan parklog firewedding venuecooked to perfectionsunday lunchcouldn't do enoughlong drivepuddingevening mealbeautiful buildingfour poster bedlambcheesecake
Reviewed 8 April 2015

The Mellington Hall hotel is a generally good hotel. It looks nice, it's in a nice location and it has a rather grand feel to it. The long drive down to the hotel is refreshing and the entrance lobby is a nice environment.

I think any negatives i could find about the hotel are only around the room itself. For £105 i would have wanted a bit more grandeur. It just seemed a little bland. The TV was fantastic though, with smart features built in. It's a shame that the Wifi is generally poor and requires you to log in. I didn't try it out, but i doubt the internet based services on the TV would have worked well with this system in place.

We dined for breakfast and dinner and i was pretty happy with both. Not overpriced for meals considering the generous portion sizes. The Steak was around £17 and probably better than other steaks I've had at £20+.

I would recommend this hotel overall but only if you've comfortably got £105 to spend on a single night stay. I've stayed in hotels for £50-£70 per night that meet the levels of the Mellington Hall Hotel but i guess you are paying for the setting.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamuelPlatt
Reviewed 31 March 2015 via mobile

We came here as a family of 20 on Sunday 29th March 2015 for my daughters christening, we all had a 3 course Sunday lunch meal, it was absolutely delightful! We couldn't fault anything about the whole experience, the food was delicious! and the whole feel to Mellington Hall itself was stunning.
I can't thank the staff enough at Mellington Hall for giving us all a lovely afternoon for my little girls christening lunch, from the food to the overall service it was all a definite 5 star experience!, thank you again.

Love Mrs Ellie Owen

Stayed: March 2015
2  Thank MrsOwen25
Reviewed 22 March 2015 via mobile

We had a meal on mothers day and it tasted absolutely delicious the staff r always so friendly and helpful l think they r amazing at what they do will always pick Mellington as my first choice to go for a meal thank u for all your hard work I thought the meal was amazing portions especially the white chocolate and strawberry meringue was to die for. Keep up the good work and see you soon

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy S
Reviewed 19 March 2015

This hotel only has 10 rooms so not sure what we would find. The driveway appears to go on forever, but we did finally reach the very imposing hall. Reception with its log fire was welcoming on a cold March day and full of character. No creeping quietly up the creaking staircase though. Our room was on the east side of the building (Lydbury) with lovely views over the fields and rolling hillsides. The room was decorated in keeping with the age of the building but still had the normal facilities of a hotel of this standing. However, we personally found the bed too hard and the free wifi that was supposedly available in all areas was no use in the bedroom, so had to go down to the front lounge to get a connection. I think this problem is being addressed. As the hotel is out in the country and a listed building, the windows are very original and not double glazed but the only noise was the ducks and geese on the lake. With it being out of season there were only three rooms taken on our first night and two on our second night. In fact on night one we were the only couple in the dining room, it was crowded on the second night, there was a second couple dining. The quality of the food was excellent throughout, it is a shame that we only stayed two nights as there were other options on the menu to try. I understand that all puddings are made by the owners/chefs and if the bread and butter pudding is anything to go by, I could eat their puddings all day long. Breakfast was superb with a wide choice of fruit. The lady on breakfast service was cheerful in the morning and I believe she doubled as the chef on Sunday morning, lovely substantial full Welsh breakfast. Unfortunately for her both couples came down to breakfast at the same time. The generally young staff were very courteous and helpful. In particular the Duty Manager seemed to be there all the time, one minute barman next receptionist. Our second day in the hotel was Mother's Day, so we disappeared out all day while they did some 150+ lunches and 40+ afternoon teas. By the time we got back the stragglers were still leaving. The point I want to make here is that, even after that hectic day for the staff, they were still cheerful and helpful at dinner that evening and there was no sign of all the activity during the day. Overall a really successful and enjoyable couple of days. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikeands
Reviewed 2 March 2015

Has been three years since our first visit and pleased to say it was as good as the first time. Room was lovely (Lydbury), clean, comfortable and great view. Ate both nights in the restaurant and the food was brilliant. ALL staff were very nice with a special mention for Andrew and the housekeeper (sorry we didn't get to know your name). Looking forward to a third visit in the near future.....Thanks for a lovely few days :)

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple