“A decent lunch!”

The Kings Head Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kings Head Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$26 - US$52
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The King's Head at Letheringsett near Holt offers a homely mix of original features and modern-day comfort in its bar, restaurant and guest rooms. It is surrounded by beautiful parkland just a stone's throw from Holt and other lovely Norfolk towns. Our 4 bespoke country-smart bedrooms have everything you need for a comfortable night's sleep. Locals bar, real ales on tap, regular changing guest ales, local produce on the menu.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We popped in for lunch during the week and hadn’t booked. Wasn’t a problem, we were seated and given menus. The table was a bit wobbly but not enough to affect our ability to eat. I was very excited at the prospect of a vegetarian bhaji burger but was told by the waitress who was taking our order that they didn’t have any. Such a shame - I’ve not seen anything else like it before. We settled for a hummous, aubergine and guacamole sandwich, fish and chips and a child’s burger and chips. All were delicious. My other half commented that it was the tastiest fish and chips he’d had in a very long time. A very decent lunch had by all!

1  Thank K4tt
ACInns, General Manager at The Kings Head Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

So delighted that you experienced a very 'decent and tasty' lunch when you dined at The King Head recently. Thank you for your very kind review and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Overall View and Atmosphere of Restaurant
Rating - 6/10
Comments - The wonderfully laid out pub is relatively open spaced, welcomed and rather well-coloured and glamorous. However, the restaurant lacks a sense of brightness, decor and is very poor in succession to correctly serve its customer upon arrival.

**ADULT MENU**
Overall Menu Presentation, appearance and food appeal.
RATING - 7/10
Comments - The menu is enhanced and well-laid out with some wide variety of choices. It also includes a good contrast of different sizes, from sandwiches all the way through to Classic King's colossal steaks.

**CHILDREN'S MENU**
Overall appearance and presentation including suitability of the portion sizes for children
RATING - 4/10
Comments - Not much choice, lacks child's favoured taste, portion sizes too small, but meals nevertheless are not too complex and are presented in a simple method regardless.

Overall service and efficiency
RATING - 6/10
Comments - Efficiency was moderate, but not quite good enough for a gastropub, despite its relatively busy atmosphere. Staff quite friendly but not overly confident. Not a warm effort or sense of kindness in feelings towards customers.

Overall rating and a full review of main course meal
Chosen Meal - Chicken Burger

Appearance
RATING - 7/10
Comments - A nice looking burger, well assembled, but a little burnt. Portion sizes are good but a little too many chips for my liking, and certainly many other's. Looks a little rushed also.

Overall Taste and appeal
RATING - 9/10
Comments - A fantastic burger. Succulent, and not very dry. Spicy and hot, but also very soft and nothing wrong with it on the whole. Perfect size for a burger, but also a little burnt so was crispy in areas, along with some sloppy over poured chips.

OVERALL FOOD SCORE - 16/20

Pudding menu appeal and choice
RATING - 5/10
Comments - I would like to commend this restaurant for their style and choice, the food proves to be rather extravagant, with a balance of smaller and savoury choices, once again, which is the restaurant's plus - contrast and tastefulness.

Overall rating and a full review of dessert meal
Chosen Meal - Vanilla Ice Cream

Appearance
RATING - 3/10
Comments - Not very good. Very melted, presented in a cup, basically completely unattractive, and no spoon served with it. Dishevelled, sloppy, and a mess.

Overall Taste and appeal
RATING - 6/10
COMMENTS - Tastes like something (a little of a challenge with Vanilla) and can taste its essence but very liquidy. Very powdered as well, giving the impressions it had a bumpy hot ride from the supermarkets.

OVERALL SENSUS (/10)
RATING - 7/10

In my mind, I have obtained a sense of satisfaction through the tastes of most foods but this restaurant lacks quite a lot of other things to certain extents, not quite living to the reputable standard I had imagined it to be. It shows promise, but certainly some room for improvement in the areas of staff, appearance and efficiency despite business. Would not recommend it to people that have expectations for this area to run smoothly*

*Please hold in mind that this review comes from a proper reviewer who criticizes relatively harshly. This review is more about areas for improvement. This restaurant is fantastic for lunch but this showcases what to expect.

OVERALL SCORE - 60% = B *** (THREE STARS/5)

1  Thank Cameron D

Dear Cameron - thank you for your in depth review for which we are grateful. Delighted that your enjoyed a 'fantastic' lunch which as you say 'showcases what to expect'. We have very much noted areas for improvement and look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

It would be unfair to say this place is bad, but it is certainly mediocre. It was a very typical pub meal served in a very typical pub. Nothing really bad, but no wows. It had a rather uninteresting menu and service to match. We would definitely not return to eat here.

1  Thank Julian F

Dear Julian - thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience at The Kings Head. We are a good honest and welcoming pub serving dishes created from local produce. With a new Head Chef on board we are redesigning our menu and do hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We went as two local couples having booked. Friendly greeting and nice, helpful staff. My wife and I have been before, about a year ago and the food was very good, so we returned with some friends.
However, this time - oh dear. The main courses, supposedly at the premium end of pub fare, ranged from disappointing pricy steaks - "had worse" was the comment; through an unsatisfactory burger with freezer fries that arrived late with the comment that chef wasn't happy with his first attempt; to my wife's absolutely awful fish dish, a nice piece of fish ruined by a complete lack of chef skills.
Needless to say, we decided not to test the kitchen further as it seemed that the chefs were incapable of cooking properly. I had a smoked salmon starter which was excellent - obviously no cooking required.
As I said, we're locals and in North Norfolk spoilt for choice where eating out is concerned. It is a highly competitive market and the Kings Head, not a cheapo option, will have to sort out its kitchen before we return.
I feel sorry for the very nice front of house people.

2  Thank Terry M

Thank you for your feedback which is invaluable to us. We value your support and do hope that you will give us an other try. We do now have a new Head Chef on board who has created a local produce menu. Can you please contact me direct or email me corisaswart@kingsheadnorfolk.co.uk as I would like to make amends.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and myself visited on Easter Sunday, having reserved a table online in advance.

Upon arrival we were quickly seated and given menus. Our orders were taken and we did not have to wait very long for our food.

My husband ordered the roast pork dinner which was supposed to be accompanied with crackling, apple sauce, parsnips and vegetables. There was no crackling, apple sauce or parsnip, when he asked for the crackling and apple sauce he was given a bowl with just crackling in!

My husband enjoyed the roast, however, the pork had a lot of fat which he cut off. Plus there was no extra gravy with the roast, although I’m sure I saw 2 other diners had a jug of extra gravy.

I had the sweet potato tandoori burger. This was nice, it was served with Halloumi cheese and a tandoori mayonnaise. The accompanying fries were nice but very salted - I wish restaurants would leave these plain for me to season as I like!

For dessert my husband had a salted caramel sundae -described by the waitress as having 2 scoops of ice cream, one vanilla and the other salted caramel. When it arrived it was one scoop of vanilla ice cream, with some crushed honeycomb and a few pieces of salted popcorn. It was a case of ‘is that it’ as it was so small.

I chose the sticky toffee pudding which I sent back twice as it tasted burnt. This put me off so much that I didn’t want a dessert - highly unusual for me as that’s my favourite part of the meal. And this cost over £6 too, luckily we weren’t charged for it.

It was a very disappointing meal, it’s a shame that set meals miss key items, all the more so if you have to ask for them! The meals were not cheap either so we came away wishing we had gone elsewhere and maybe we both would’ve had an enjoyable and unburnt dining experience.

I spent a long time researching places to eat and this place also came recommended to me which makes it all the more worse.

1  Thank Abbeylls

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your unsatisfactory dining experience at The Kings Head. Your feedback in invaluable to us and please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment. We have taken steps to assure this does not happen again and have a new menu which I am sure you will like. We do hope you will give us another try in the future.