Review Highlights

Phu Phra Bat - Historical Park - Must See

Reviewed 1 May 2012
rct99q
Nong Khai, Thailand

All reviews my husband park signs rocks phu bat
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Natural wonders you can see in the park are really nice, but the tourist infrastructure is quite poor. I was a bit bored, but my husband found this attraction interesting and was photographing stone formations for over an hour. Very nice ancient drawings on the rocks.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

My husband, brother-in-law and I had a very interesting afternoon enjoying this park with a very nice, knowledgable guide. He spoke quite good English and he was very well informed about any question we had concerning facts about the park. Definitely worth seeing!!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

I attempted the daytrip from Nong Khai which first required 55 baht truck ride which I thought would take me directly to the park but only took me about half way where I had to hire a tuk tuk driver who initially tried to charge me 300 for one way trip to the park but I bargain down to 200 for round-trip.

It is very interesting to to see prehistoric paintings and structures used by monks is the thousand years. It took me about one hour to see the main size of the park but I can take a little bit longer depending if you have enough time and transportation options. All in all it is not a must see but interesting to do if you have an extra day because it takes about 2 hours to reach it.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed 21 May 2014

It's about halfway between Udon Thani and Nong Khai, roughly a 65 km journey from either city. You have lots of chances to take photos, and you get an English brochure when you arrive. Expect to take between 1-2 hours of walking around, and bring plenty of water - the only shade around is from the rocks themselves!

Like most Thai national parks, a dual pricing system is in effect - tourists like us pay 100 baht while Thai nationals get in for 20 baht. For the extra cost, I'd expect there to be better translations, or at least signs that don't look like they were abandoned a decade ago. Worse, the signs that remain look cheaply done, and fail to explain the intriguing legends that turn the rocks into a set piece for the story.

Date of experience: April 2014
2  Thank OneWeirdGlobe
Reviewed 1 May 2012

If you are in the Udon Thani/Nong Khai I would highly recommend visiting this park. Carved from glacial movements over a million years ago this park area is a fantastic way to spend a day. You will see these neat rock formations carved out by glaciers, man made structures and other oddities.
There is close to 8km of hiking trails throughout the park and is an easy walk for most people. There are washroom facilities, a museum and most of the year local Thai restaurants on site.
A good map is available at the registration desk and the park entry fee for tourists is 100baht and for Thai's with ID card 20baht (subject to change).

For more background on this visit the following link which provides a fantastic story and background information on Phu Phra Bat.

Date of experience: April 2012