“Lovely place but a bit spoilt by a wasp problem”

Light Ash Farm Shop and cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Bilsborrow
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We came for tea and cake and sat outside as we had our dog with us. The tea was nice, the scone was a bit doughy and not fully cooked. The cakes were huge portions but didn't taste much of the flavour they were supposed to be, which I've found to be the case a few times when I've been here. After about fifteen minutes we were fighting off about five wasps and just gave up and left. I've given it three stars because it's a lovely place inside and the staff are very nice. I think they need a lot of wasp traps around because it's impossible to enjoy sitting outside with that problem. It would be a help if all the cakes were labelled as well, as going down the line asking what they all were was a bit of a pain. Only about half were labelled. I'd go again because it's a nice drive out, but I do wish the beautiful cakes tasted as lovely as they look. Please put more flavouring in them :)

Reviewed 10 October 2018

Visited for the first time with a friend on a Saturday lunch time. I had no idea this place existed but so glad my friend took us there! The cafe was very busy but we were lucky to find a free table. Our food came quickly enough once we had finally decided on our choices. I had a panini and my friend a sandwich but so full afterwards we couldn't manage one of the many delicious looking cakes. The atmosphere was busy and friendly, staff helpful and constantly clearing up. The shop is an added bonus and some lovely items at a good price. I was so impressed,I took my parents there on Monday for lunch. Wow, we had to queue for a table; this place certainly draws in the customers. My dad had the steak and kidney pie from the specials board and said it was really good with lots of kidney and tender meat. Again, we were all too full to even share a cake between the three of us. We will return in an afternoon to sample these cakes for sure.

1  Thank sarahrachel-66
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Found this place on a drive out and the cakes are to die for. The breakfast is amazing best I’ve ever had and the staff are so friendly. I will be returning

1  Thank spooks715
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

We called in here on Saturday afternoon. It was reasonably busy and had a friendly atmosphere. The cake selection looked good, although not all the staff knew what cakes were on offer.
We ordered 2 Lattes and 2 pieces of cake, paid and then went to the upstairs seating.
About 10 mins later the 4 items arrived - 3 of which were wrong. They replaced the cake - a gluten free one had been brought in error. The two lattes were straight white coffees. When asked we were told they had just run out of latte glasses - but although the coffee was good it wasn’t a latte!
Overall the coffee and cake were good but the service wasn’t brilliant.

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

My other half fancied afternoon tea, so decided to come here from the other side of Preston. My partner got afternoon tea for one & I got a cheese & onion panini & chips. The panini was soft, flat & soggy, & the texture of the bread was not like any panini I had had before. The chips were scrappy & crispy, with lots of black & green chips. For the price (not cheap!) I expected much better!