“One of our favourite restaurants in Piemonte, still”

Trattoria I Bologna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Every time we visit Piemonte, we have to visit Trattoria i Bologna. Few things change here, and actually, this is a good thing. No revolution, just some evolution. Good wine cellar. Really good food. A great experience every time!!! This time we came in the evening, for dinner, and had booked one of their hotel rooms to stay over. This was super!! For sure we will be back, both to eat and to stay!

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

There are many good restaurants in Italy and in Piemonte, but not so many where you can have a 'food experience of the place'. This is a perfect food experience restaurant of Piemonte, where food, wine, people, place fit all perfect. The owner has a clear interpretation of local food/wine and proposes it in a very clear and simple way. As such, this is all you need if you want to have not only a good meal, but something more, as a flavour of food/wine culture and tradition of the place you are. I found some of my preferred wines in the wine cellar, the owner is also wine producer in the area which gives another big plus when it comes to wine/food combination. I was happy to spend a perfect evening there, i know for sure that next time i will have the same experience.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

Although no printed menu, nor wine list, the waitress a member of the family gives you details of what is available, limited choice. To choose your wine you are given the option of visiting the wine cellar to make your choice, do ask the price so you know what you are spending. The chef is a member of the family and he produces memorable dishes. The pasta is prepared freshly by his mother and you can see her whilst dining preparing the ravioli which is fantastic. The whole meal was outstanding excellent service, a memorable meal. . The price for such a high quality meal is very reasonable. If in the area well worth a detour to eat at this restaurant.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

This is a gem within the sleepy town of Rocchetta Tanaro. The combination of expertly prepared local dishes, fresh ingredients and great wines was a winner. We started with the traditional summer dish of Vitello Tonatto (Vitel Tone), which was light but flavorful. We shared a pasta course, which I can’t remember the name but was delicate and delicious. As a main, I had the carpione—a room temperature breaded chicken cutlet with a fried egg. Hearty but not heavy, which at close to 94 degrees (30 degrees) outside was perfect. Finally, we finished with a bunet piamontese, which is a relative to crème caramel but with chocolate and amaretto—amazing. At Il Bologna, they paired it with what seemed to be a lemon bunet—the combination was perfect for this hot day.

The atmosphere is more upscale than a typical trattoria, but it’s not stuffy or formal. The staff is great: attentive but not intrusive and very helpful with perfect English. The Bologna family are super friendly and make you feel at home. This is a great restaurant!

Reviewed 14 December 2015

This place is excellent, the wine experience is amazing. Go into the wine cellar and choose the bottle you want, I've never seen anything like it before. The food is similar, I had slow braised horse cheek and it was just awesome, dessert was a work of art. If you can go, I strongly recommend that you do go!