“Attractive inn with good food.”
Review of The Assheton Arms

The Assheton Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Downham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Sunday lunch at this good inn was a pleasant experience. It has a cosy bar and an attractive restaurant. The food is quite an odd mix which meant a careful choice including a small and expensive fruit de Mer to be ordered 48 hrs in advance! ...and other fish dishes. The hake was well cooked but nothing exceptional. The roast came with a pot of cauliflower cheese and was of a good standard. Service was stretched ,but it was Easter Sunday. Downham is a lovely village and a populat tourist attraction. The inn caters for walkers to dressed up Sunday lunchers, but booking is advisable.

1  Thank frankafile
Neal W, General Manager at The Assheton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Hi Frank

Thank you for your comments.
I have placed a picture of the Fruits de mer on our facebook page for your viewing, its an eclectic mix of seafood delights such as lobster, oysters, langoustines and dressed crab to name just a few of the components.
Once again thank you for taking the time to rate us and your valued comments.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here on Friday night and loved it. There was a mix up with our room and Neil sorted it out straight away and even upgraded us to a suite which was stunning. We had dinner in the evening which was excellent and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Lots of choice for breakfast in the morning. Thank you to Neil and his team for a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to returning.

Hi Guys

You were a pleasure to look after, i look forward to your return.

Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Booked table with friends . Menu changed. The standard card menu now replaced with a single sheet. Not for the better!! Some of us immediately looked for the prawn Goan curry which has been on the menu for years. Sadly it had been taken off the menu and replaced with another type of curry but with chicken and prawn together!!! It turned out stomachs at the thought of this mixture so we decided to opt for another dish . The lamb and mint pie was ok but this person really wanted the sechzwan chicken off the old menu . The fish pie was ok but small portion . The platter was awful . I remember it when there were cockles and jalapeño peppers .... lots of wonderful little contents and flavours . Now it is full of battered things... I started feeling sickly half way through having eaten a ton of batter .... who wants battered broccoli ??? !!!! So now my favourite Goan curry is no longer on the menu and my second favourite , the platter has been ruined. Who on earth makes the menu choices??? As I have probably said before no one can fault the front of house staff . They are great, friendly and no negative comments can be aimed at them. The kitchen staff surely can't be blamed as they are just cooking to order . It's the person / people altering or putting together the menus . Well I'm sorry but we won't be returning until the menu changes back . The thing is the menu isn't cheap . I don't mind that if the food is delicious but it wasn't. There are lots of local eateries so lots of competition. I'm sad really as I've always liked eating here . We will return for drinks as it is a lovely pub and a lovely place to sit outside in summer . We did contemplate saying something before we left but the place was busy and we didn't want to cause a fuss and we weren't bothered about a refund as we had actually eaten most of the food except the platter. I just hope this review can be taken in a constructive way and the comments passed onto whoever constructs the menu.

2  Thank annie792

Good Morning Annie

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and for your comments as this helps us to continually improve, i have taken on board what has been mentioned passed the comments on to our head chef and can assure that some elements have been actioned.
We have recently had a reshuffle regarding the menu, We have moved over to the new menu format as it gives us the ability to adjust the menus when necessary such as, constructive comments from our valued customers, on an incredibly busy day we don’t run out of food just certain dishes which we can then update the menu by deleting these dishes and adding new during the day, i like to think it keeps us on the pulse of customer satisfaction.
As you pointed out the Goan curry has been on the menu for quite some time and between myself and the head chef we felt it was time for a new one and we choose a Balinese curry which consists of prawns and chicken which is very nice as you get the two different textures of the proteins. Feed back has been excellent as the flavour is very similar albeit now it’s a little less creamy and has a fresher feistier flavour.
The platter we create the components based on what’s good and how they marry together, it would seem on this occasion for yourself we have got it wrong and for that I apologise.
I do hope you return in the future and announce your presence as i would love the opportunity to make things right.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

This gastropub had excellent reviews and awards and, when the food eventually arrived, it didn't disappoint. I and two friends arrived at 1.30 on Holy Thursday (29/3/18) with a booking and were shown to a lovely table with views of Pendle Hill. It was busier than I expected, which was the explanation given as to why the kitchen was overwhelmed, and the main courses took more than an hour to arrive, and the starters not long before. However, this was the only negative point and, since we were on a leisurely sight-seeing tour of Pendle witch locations, we coped - and gazed out at the brooding hill.
The service was discreet, friendly and attentive. The late food was not the waiter's fault, and the gratis portion of crispy potato skins with subtle blue cheese mayonnaise, along with the light ciabatta, lovely mushroom and fennel soup, and the delicious cockles which we had ordered (I warily tried my friend's portion) warmed our cockles and gave hope. The cockles were pickled but also flavoured imaginatively with star anise, and converted me to this shellfish.
We all loved the mains - delicately smoked haddock on bubble and squeak with a poached egg, my superb white fish and prawn pie topped with cheesy mash, and the smoked cheese and leek tart with potatoes and salad. I didn't realise one friend (an Italian) was vegetarian which, in a seafood restaurant, was a potential problem, but she was very happy with the veggie starters and tart, and almost ecstatic about the chocolate torte with a salted nut topping. (One spoonful was enough to convince me too.)
Given the purpose of our trip, we confined ourselves to Moorhouse's White Witch beer, which was very well kept.
A couple of wrinkles. I ordered a side portion of "proper chips" which failed to arrive - a blessing in the event as I was full of crispy potato skins. Also, the black coffees were rather insipid.
I'll be back, hopefully when the kitchen staff are on top of the orders.
It's not cheap (£4-6 for a starter, £10-20 for a main, £5-6 for a dessert), but in my view it is very good value for the quality of the food, the setting and the atmosphere.
Like other upmarket places in the region, there's a hint of the Lancashire county set out to play but that did not inhibit our down-to-earth conversation about the persecuted so-called "Pendle witches". It is in the conservation village of Downham after all, where Master Assheton, the hereditary Lord Clitheroe, continues to control everything from the tenants to the telegraph wires! Medieval mores, modern menu!

1  Thank Stephen P

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your kind words, its great to hear that our team are doing such a good job, i will pass the comments on and place this review on our staff notice board.
I will be looking at our coffee offerings and finding out why they were insipid and offering further training to my valued staff.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We dined here on a Sunday evening with friends after several recommendations. I don't know if it had been a busy day but the staff seemed disinterested from our arrival. It took ages for a wine list to arrive and then even longer for the wine to arrive. We had complained by this point, so it was doubly frustrating when two servers arrived with the same wine! We all had different starters,but none of us were impressed - my squid was almost non existent and tasteless. Main courses were better - we all had monkfish because that was pretty much all that was left. We left feeling short changed and almost a nuisance that the staff didn't want after a busy day.

1  Thank Cheify1961

Hi Cheify1961

Great handle i love it.
I can assure you it must have been a busy long day as my team have a passion for hospitality, i am sorry that you felt mistreated and on this occasion we obviously didn't get things right. I take full responsibility for your feelings of being left short changed and can assure you that i am putting things in place to make things better, such as a second team starting a little later in the afternoon so that we have fresh legs for the latter part of the day.
I do hope this one visit hasn't tarnished our valued reputation for good food and quality hospitality, I do hope you return and i look forward to meeting you in the future.