All reviews four poster bed private tour the owner aran islands drawing room personal tour rack of lamb honeymoon suite favorite hotel county clare ocean view fabulous food sitting area highly recommend staying here short drive two nights irish hospitality
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed in Room 16 which I didn’t realize was the honeymoon suite. What beautiful views! There was a regular bedroom with an octagonal glass sitting room attached. We had panoramic views of the Cliffs of Moher to the left, stunning sea views ahead and rolling hills to the right. If we didn’t have so much to see and do in the area, we could’ve sat & enjoyed that view the entire time. Off in the distance, we could see the Aran islands. I can’t recommend this room enough. It was stunning.
I do think all of the rooms will have beautiful views. Many are overlooking the sea, and those not facing the ocean are facing a wonderful medieval castle. Yes! An actual castle! The castle is right above the hotel & the owner took us inside too look around while he narrated in a way that made you imagine how it would be to live there. We thoroughly enjoyed it & if you’ve read any of my other reviews, you know I’m a bit gimpy & walk with a cane. I did my best but I skipped going all the way up to the roof. If you are able bodied, you should do it. I think you would be able to see just about all of ireland from that perch ☘️
The service at the hotel was stellar & the proprietress was always there to wish you a FANTASTIC day. What a treasure it was to visit. I’m sure to return.
As an American, driving on the opposite side that first morning was stressful but I was soon feeling like a princess.
Enjoy!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Ballinalacken Castle Country House is a third-generation, family-run home that exceeded our expectations. Declan & Cecilia, the husband and wife team that open their home, are attentive and welcoming. No attention to detail was spared in making our three-night stay joy. When we arrived, we were invited to the daily evening tour of the adjacent castle, which is a must for any guests. You can actually climb to the top of the castle & enjoy sweeping views while listening to a brief history of the castle and region from Declan. The home is a couple of kilometers from Doolin and is situated well above the village, so peace and tranquility abound. The drawing room to the west of the lobby is perfect for an afternoon read, an early evening cocktail, or a late nightcap. The dining room to the east offers the first of sunrise for those that are up for breakfast and spectacular options from the chef for a sumptuous dinner, which we opted for two of our three nights. Cecilia was beyond helpful multiple times, from ringing for a cab to arranging a meeting with a local artist to booking us dinner on our one night out. We would be blessed to return again!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018

We only stayed one night at Ballinalacken Castle Country House one night, but wish we could've stayed longer. Our room was lovely and very clean. The family who runs the castle was so friendly and accommodating. We were surprised to learn there was a tour of the old castle every evening. The castle dates back to the 1300's. We originally planned to head into Doolin for the evening, but decided to stay at the hotel for dinner. We're so glad we did. The food was delicious! The next morning's breakfast was very good. We hope to return some day.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Two of my teenage children and I stayed at Ballinalacken after hiking the Cliffs of Moher. The drive from the Cliffs was easy, and the amazing views looking out over the countryside and Atlantic continued once on property. We also loved the tour of the castle that is on property, and everyone was so friendly. The room was fantastic, the food excellent, and we are glad we stayed here!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2018

My wife and I spent one night at Ballinalacken, and it was an outstanding experience. We were supposed to stay somewhere else nearby, but upon arrival, realized it was not what we were expecting. We remembered seeing positive reviews for Ballinalacken when originally researching our trip, and we called around 7pm to see if they happened to have room for us last minute. Lucky for us, they did. Super accommodating and nice about the whole thing.

The property is on a stunning piece of land, with an amazing view of the ocean and even a little bit of the Cliffs of Moher. We happened to arrive at sunset, and it was the best sunset we saw in Ireland!

The room (a superior room) was very well appointed and comfortable with a gorgeous view. The couple who runs the hotel are both incredibly nice, friendly, and helpful. We enjoyed speaking to Declan has he hosted us that evening at their very cute bar. And breakfast the next morning was delicious. The hotel is also very conveniently located to Doolin, in case you (like we were) are looking to take a ferry to the Aran Islands).

Couldn't recommend the hotel more.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple