Lowest prices for your stay
US$103
Expedia.comUS$100
eDreamsUS$103
Trip.comUS$137
1,142 results
All reviews ailsa suite bridal suite lovely hotel four poster db b lounge bar wedding breakfast cooked breakfast wedding night couldn't do enough staff were amazing following morning wedding venue both nights lovely room public areas enjoyable stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2020 via mobile

Well here goes with an honest candid review
What can I say about this place, well the outside on arrival looks pretty good and is a good start, sadly the positive vibes end as soon as you open the front door.
The reception desk looks like something from the 80s
And I was waiting for Gordon the gopher to pop his head out, well reception is a broom cupboard after all.
After a short wait of 20-no 30 minutes you may if lucky be able to check in.... hoorah I hear you say, but don’t try and get a drink whilst you wait.
Ordering a drink is like mañana, it will arrive tomorrow, but cut them some slack as it could be a completely different order. Oh and before I forget if your there and your running out of diesel for your car, ask for some coffee - You might get 50mpg out of a cup- so bonus here.
Now you retire to you room, this is like a journey through time on the Marie celest, which come to think about it could be the last time your room was cleaned.
Anyway I digress back to the room. I highly recommend the rooms here if your into mountain climbing as there are large mounds you need to hike up, not sure what they are brushing under the carpet.
The rooms are eloquently decorated with peeling wallpaper, holes kicked through doors and fruit peelings. Totally lush especially if you like dust.
Moving swiftly on, the restaurant.
Wow the chicken burger was immense and came with its own scaffolding- totally recommend! However if you order the mild curry be warned, it will arrive on a tower
of Petri dishes. You will soon come to realise that these small dishes are not your side order of dips but are in fact your main meal. Oh the naan bread is a scientific wonder, it obviously didn’t burn up on entry through the atmosphere as it’s served with your curry, but if you do order this cast your eye over to the table with the chicken burger totally amazing.
Must have been some bad weather there recently, the roof slates must have blew off en-mass, but in the spirit of recycling your food is served on them, however these are-in short supply especially when it’s raining as there is a long wait from ordering to receiving and in between courses - can only guess they need to be washed before re-served to you, but totally weather dependant.
Whilst the hotel tries, they appear under staffed and disorganised- would also really like to know where the photos where taken on their site - would love to stay there next time instead.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Claire Hodgson, General Manager at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2020

Thank you for your review we take all comments from our guests onboard, unfortunately on this occasion I can't follow quite a large part of your review especially the mountains climbing with large mounds to hike up? As far as I am aware we don't have any doors with kick holes in them either so please do contact me directly with the information on this so I can address it.

As you wrote your review on Sunday 6th December I am guessing you stayed over the weekend 4th or 5th December although I can't track any complaints over that weekend from the handovers of the team so I am sorry to read this without any prior warning you could be unhappy with your stay.

Lovely to hear you enjoyed your chicken burger and a bit disappointing you didn't like our curry stand and slate plates (which aren't off the roof!) as this has been received very welcome from other guests that have stayed with us. All our food is cooked fresh with local produce, this does mean you need to wait for the food to be cooked to order.

I am unsure as to what time you arrived at the hotel although sorry to read you had a little wait to check-in, was it due to your bedroom still being served ready for your check-in?

Regarding drinks at the bar I can only assume you were waiting for non-alcoholic drinks to enjoy while waiting to check in as currently the Scottish COVID guidelines are you are unable to drink alcohol indoors unless you have a substantial meal at the same time. (this changes as of Friday 11th December for Dumfries & Galloway though).

Sorry to read we didn't get your stay right, we will certainly look at ways to improve on this.

Reviewed 16 November 2020

Short notice stay at this hotel, for a very good price - db&b. Room nice enough, wifi good and the room was quiet, peaceful and had everything you would need. Price included an allowance to cover dinner, and the allowance easily covered a good meal. The food was excellent, quite a surprise for the price. Breakfast in the morning was equally good. Everything you would expect included. Overall, a very good stay, with excellent food quality, good service - and all for an excellent overall price.

Date of stay: November 2020
1  Thank 186530David_G
Claire Hodgson, General Manager at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2020

Thank you for your lovely review. We really do strive to offer our guests the best service and surroundings we can. We have recently appointed a new head chef and it is lovely to read his new dishes on the menu are doing well. We do look forward to you arriving with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 October 2020

Our daughter and her Fiancés original wedding plans went up in smoke due to Covid-19, and so plans were hastily changed to a wedding in Gretna followed by a meal for 6 at the Gables Hotel. We booked three rooms at the Gables and stayed for 3 nights and we were kindly allocated the 'Dovetail Suite' complimentary for the wedding breakfast. We simply cannot complain about a thing! The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating and we enjoyed our stay very much...
I think that what some reviewers are overlooking when they write their reviews is that this is a 3 star hotel and not the Ritz - the rate you pay reflects that! Our room was spotlessly clean, the beds were comfortable, the tv, kettle and hairdryer worked. There was plenty of hot water, wardrobe and cupboard space. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and served with a smile and more tea/coffee/ toast was available if you asked.
The Dovetail Suite was just perfect for our little celebration after the ceremony and the 2 members of staff who looked after us for the evening were delightful and couldn't do enough to make the wedding breakfast a fabulous one. We chose our food from the three course Sunday Lunch menu and it was delicious, well presented and hot.
Ok, so maybe some carpets could be replaced and walls painted, but for us those things weren't important and didn't by any means takeaway from the enjoyment of our stay. Would we stay again? Yes definitely, the lead up to our stay was very stressful due to the constant changes to rules by the Scottish and English Parliaments. At times we thought that it would never happen, but it did, and the Gables Hotel and its staff literally saved the day for us and we can't thank them enough....

1  Thank Honky2nks

Thank you for your lovely review. We loved looking after your wedding party and it was our pleasure to offer you the Dovetail suite complimentary to help you celebrate the big day! We've worked really hard to ensure our guests have a lovely experience during the pandemic and we are delighted to hear we did everything right for you. Don't be strangers and come again soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2020

Overall the stay was amazing. The hotel was clean and tidy and the staff were great. I have stayed at a lot if hotels over the years usually on business and sometimes you get hotels that look amazing in the public areas then you get a whole load of disappointment when you get to the rooms, but not The Gables, this was the same standard throughout. The only thing that let this hotel down for me was the breakfast. The cooked breakfast consisted of 1 of each item, 1 small sausage, 1 small rasher of bacon, 1 half of a tomato and a spoon of beans. I was not even offered an extra when removing things such as the egg and the haggis, the price that you pay for this breakfast is way too much for what you get even though i supposedly paid the reduced rate of £6.99 as opposed to £12.99 i do not believe for 1 moment that anyone would pay over £12 for breakfast. I never have at any hotel i have ever stayed in and that includes some 5 star places. In contrast to the breakfast, the food in the evening was superb 2 of us had 3 courses each of good quality hot food and a free bottle of house wine for less than £50. We had a four poster bed and it was so comfortable and the jacuzzi was great

Date of stay: October 2020

Thank you for your lovely review, lovely to read we came up highly in your recommendations. Lovely to read about the food as we've recently appointed a new head chef and he is doing wonders with the new menu. We are working on our overall offering of food service and items available and we definitely take your breakfast comments onboard. We do hope you will return again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2020

I stayed here with my family for my sister's wedding, my brother in law left a review on his thoughts of the hotel and I wanted to follow on with details of my personal experience here. First impressions of the hotel were great, the grounds are beautiful and the staff seemed very friendly. Once I got to my family room with my two children it became clear that cleanliness is not taken particularly seriously with the housekeeping staff. There was thick layers of dust everywhere and hairs covering the bath and the corners of the bathroom floor. Pen marks were drawn all over the carpet and my wardrobe door was hanging off. I could handle this - I did some general cleaning and got on with removing webs and dust. I had the pleasure of talking to Jane who was fantastic and went out of her way to help my family try and make my sister's stay as special as possible - thankyou Jane! The rooms are in desperate need of a deep clean and the décor could use some serious attention (children have drawn on doors, beds and floors). The beds were quite comfy and I looked forward to a good night's sleep but this didn't happen due to the constant sound of water running and dripping. It turned out to be the radiators which really need to be bled. So I didn't sleep well at all. The hotel really needs to keep on top of the cleaning and maintenance within the hotel. They would definitely fail an audit. Thanks again to Jane but I would not be staying again unless they manage to get on top of all this. It would have been nice if housekeeping came to our rooms to see if we needed clean towels and our bins emptied. I ended up having to get rid of our rubbish out of my room as nobody had come despite the sign I hung on my door which was provided by the hotel. I worked in a hotel for many years so I know how much work usually goes into making guests feel comfortable and with the exception of a few members of staff I saw, I didn't see this here with any housekeeping staff.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We've taken your comments onboard.