Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
View deal
SAVE US$3
Expedia.comUS$127
PricelineUS$127
All reviews the main hotel wedding reception lovely staff booked this hotel thank you so much bit dated full scottish breakfast cooked breakfast wedding venue a lovely stay haggis gretna gateway meal menu waitress stopover anniversary
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 December 2020 via mobile

My wife and I spent an evening here and could not have been more pleased with the level of service.
The staff were friendly, professional and thorough considering we were mid pandemic.
The food in the restaurant is good quality and great value and the breakfast is perfectly adequate all things considered at the time.
It may not dazzle you but don’t judge a book by its cover.
This is an excellent hotel.

Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank Spandau45
Reviewed 3 November 2020

Easy to find, the Solway is located close to two venues I'd need in the future, the registry office and the famous blacksmith wedding venue. I stayed here in September to test what it would be like for a blind booking I made to stay here for my wedding in October - the reviews painted a lovely picture so I was confident that a blind booking would be OK. Unfortunately I was left extremely disappointed, to the point that I cancelled the future bookings for my wedding stop over and found somewhere else. There was no way I could let family stay here based on my experience. After doing some digging recently and looking at reviews from earlier in the year, other visitors have shared my experience too -pictures of the room I stayed in are on here from February this year and even from last year too, so it looks like nothing has been done about the feedback that has been provided.

On arrival I got a really nice and friendly welcome, I had rules explained to me about the stay regarding how they were remaining covid safe. The room I stayed in (room 18) was really small, but I can cope with that, I'm just including that to set expectations. The view out of the window looked onto the roof of the kitchen, but to make matters worse, the extractor fan from the kitchen seemed to be close to the window too. All I could hear all night was the fan, a very noticeable and annoying humming sound. As well as the sound, it was a kitchen fan, I could smell food pretty much up until the kitchen closed around 9ish. The fan went off around midnight only to come back on around 7:30 the next morning. My partner sleeps in ear plugs and she still heard it.

The room itself was in need of maintenance; in different places wallpaper was peeling off the wall, there was a hole in the wall behind the door, there was water/damp stains in the ceiling and around the window. There was dust behind doors, around door frames, in ventilation, and high up near the ceiling. A cupboard in the room couldn't really be used as it was half covered over by a wall, when the single cupboard door that could be accessed was opened, the hinge was knackered so the door almost fell off. The bathroom door had a tendency of not closing properly, or randomly opening because it doesn't fit the frame - fine if you don't mind sitting on the toilet only for it to randomly open. I've included some photos to emphasize the issues we experienced.

Based on other reviews I had high hopes of the restaurant but unfortunately this wasn't ideal either. The menu is a typical pub style menu, unfortunately as vegetarian I was limited with my selection but I can forgive this though. There was no vegan option available. The meals were very generous portions, but they were very greasy. This is something that was also the case for the breakfast - I was able to squeeze the mushrooms on the fried breakfast to make a pool of grease, and the hash brown was just a greasy mush when you cut into it.

On departure there was nobody around to check me out, which was a pity because I wanted to provide feedback and also discuss the future dates I had booked there for my wedding. When I telephoned they told me I couldn't cancel and get a refund because 2 months' notice isn't enough time. When I challenged this, because their own cancellation policy stated that cancellation is fine as long as you do it within a specific time-frame they eventually backed down and gave me my deposit back.

Despite the poor experience, I was glad I went because it opened up my eyes to what to expect on my wedding stay over, and I was subsequently able to cancel. I used the next day of my trip to scour local hotels and was able to get booked in somewhere else, it's slightly more expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Unfortunately £65 per night was too expensive to stay in the Solway and I won't be back.

Q - Why didn't I ask to change rooms after I first got there? Because my missus was in tears thinking that our family would be staying there for our wedding. When she eventually calmed down and I went downstairs to the reception desk, there was nobody available to talk to.

Room tip: Don't stay in room 18 if you can help it
2  Thank one9eighty
Reviewed 23 October 2020 via mobile

Another excellent meal at solway . We like to pop in when we’re in Gretna as we had our wedding reception here . Thanks again to the lovely staff can’t wait to return for a long weekend break after new year

Reviewed 17 October 2020

My mum got married at Gretna and we all booked this hotel to stay and for the reception meal. Initially when we saw the 55 price tag we were unsure but we needn’t of been, what a find!! The staff were amazing and extremely helpful, they couldn’t do enough for us. The Covid protocols were the best we have seen and adhered to brilliantly.

Our room was nice and clean with tea/coffee and the bed was very comfy.

My fiancé has coeliacs disease and we are always very sceptical when hotels offer gluten free food as she regularly gets glutened due to poor understanding and cross contamination. They have their own gluten free menu offering lots of options, the food was plentiful and delicious and the best bit... she didn’t get any reaction, they have separate friers so she could have the chips AND they served gluten free lager!. At breakfast the waitresses double checked to see what she could have and it was basically everything apart from the haggis and sausage, they also brought gluten free toast.

Do not be put off by the price.. yes the rooms may need a little updating but it is outstanding value for money and I will recommend this hotel to friends. We are going to book again for my mums anniversary... thankyou to the staff of Solway lodge and look forward to seeing you next year! X

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 5 September 2020 via mobile

Only stayed one night on route to fort William, the reception was very friendly, the Covid regulation was well adhered to, staff made you feel welcome, the room in the side annex was spotlessly clean, then comes the restaurant, what can I say, excellent choices, and both me and my other half had was fantastic. I would certainly recommend it.