and 1 more site!
Ballyvolane House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Reviewed 7 August 2008

I've stayed at Ballyvolane four times over the last three years, so the repeat visits tell you a lot already. The last time, we had a family reunion there, and the rest of my family adored it. This is a beautiful, tasteful, charming, comfortable, and welcoming place which i love. I've stayed in tons of hotels in Ireland for work, and it makes you fussy. Honest to god, who needs a trouser press in a hotel room? The rooms at Ballyvolane are full of charm, lovely old furniture, books and magazines, natural light, and thoughtful touches like radios. I happen to like sharing a table (although you can also have a table for two, but you're really missing out on the fun if you do that) and have had some quite bizarre dining companions - a dysfunctional Canadian millionaire with the world's second largest collection of antique snuff boxes (true, i looked him up on Google later) - but all of them highly entertaining. Delicious food, unfussy, locally sourced and plenty from the garden. It's such a beautiful, tranquil place, and none of it would work without the perfectly pitched professionalism of Justin and Jenny. They are incredibly personable, and will engage as much or as little as the guest wants. Ballyvolane works too as it is the right size, seven rooms: not too small and not too big. It's not cheap, but unlike many other places, you really do get value for your money here, and it is a unique place. I'll be back again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank Lasairfhíona
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Thank you so much for staying and for the cracking review. We loved having you here. Hope you are keeping well. Best wishes, Justin

Reviewed 23 October 2006

We had our wedding here last December (a small affair with just family and close friends) and absolutely loved it. It's about half an hour from Cork, and very rural, but the directions are good and it was easy enough to find (though I wouldn't fancy the drive on a dark wet night, if it was my first time trying to find the place). I was in regular contact with Justin and Jenny, the owners, in the months prior to the big day, and found them very helpful and professional - really nothing was too much trouble. The house itself is fabulous and has been beautifully refurbished, but (for the benefit of the reviewer who commented on some worn furnishings) it is a family home as well as a hotel, and is the work of generations, not some instant interior decoration. Personally I loved the mellow blend of old and new, and found it far more characterful than any bland modern hotel. There are only 7 or 8 bedrooms, and I saw them all, as we booked the entire venue for the wedding. (There is also a self-catering cottage, but I did not visit that). The rooms are mostly large (a few are small), and all are different. Our room was enormous, with a huge separate bathroom. The bed was also very large, and extremely comfortable. The decor was fabulous and there were wonderful views from the window. The other rooms were also lovely, though a few are on the (comparatively) small side. The only one I'd prefer not to have is the downstairs one, as it's very near the communal areas and could be quite noisy. Note, also, that there are no locks on the bedroom doors, as everything runs on trust, with the atmosphere of a country house party - a bit disconcerting for the security-conscious modern traveller. I had dinner at Ballyvolane twice, once in the run up to the wedding, and of course on the day. The food is superb, without being overly fancy - what I would describe as excellent country house cooking - all fresh ingredients, locally sourced, much of it from the hotel's own garden. Breakfast included the most wonderful organic eggs from the hotel's own hens. I'm not sure I'd go for the communal dinner, if it meant making conversation all evening with complete strangers - not really my cup of tea, but I suppose it's part of the country house experience, and many people might enjoy it. The gardens are lovely in a relaxed way, and good for a wander - the grounds are extensive. In keeping with a country house, there are several dogs and an enormous cat - I loved this, it's one of the reasons I booked the hotel, but it might not be to everyone's taste. I believe there are also some donkeys in the grounds. As it was winter , there were warm log fires in the communal rooms, which made it so welcoming. All in all, I would recommend Ballyvolane House very highly - can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2005
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Galwaychick

It was a pleasure to host your wedding here. We really enjoyed helping plan your big day and I am delighted you all had a brilliant time. Please keep in touch. Justin

Reviewed 21 August 2006

Ballyvolane is a complete retreat from the day to day grind. Stepping back to a time of elegance, graciousness and charm, our hosts welcomed us with afternoon tea and the freedom of their home. Days can be filled easily with croquet, gentle walks, fishing, music and conversation with guests from all parts of the world. A privilege to be able to share in the life of a country house that has been loved by so many generations.

4  Thank SRAC

Thank you very much for your comments and for staying. Glad you had such a great time. Hope to see you again. Rgds, Justin

Reviewed 9 July 2006

Ballyvolane is the perfect combination of all the comforts of a nice hotel (fine linens, bathrobes, excellent plentiful pillows, etc) and the charms of staying at someone's spectacular house in the countryside. The food at all meals was delicious and the communal dining loads of fun (obviously this depends on who happens to be there at the same time). There are some quirks, as this house is "real" the art and furniture have been collected by the family over the years and some of it might be worn or chipped. Anyone who has lived with antiques will understand. I have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world (Gritti Palace Venice, Ritz and Plaza Athene Paris, The Hassler and de Russie Rome, Claridge's London) and Ballyvolane will always stand out as a truly unique experience. Remember it is not trying to be a large fancy but bland hotel. When you look back at your time there you will never confuse it with any other place you have ever stayed.

A truly unique experience!!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank dwm5

Thank you. Delighted you enjoyed Ballyvolane House. Come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Justin

Reviewed 17 May 2006

My husband and I spent 2 nights here and we can't imagine what everyone is raving about. The place is overrated. The rooms are musty and dim, and the furniture throughout is worn and/or chipped. Pictures in the hall and along the staircase to the second floor exhibit water damage and mildew. I know the other reviews mention the hosts but frankly we saw them very little and they didn't appear all that hospitable when we did. The food was good but overpriced for what was offered and the wine list is practically nonexistent. If we were going back to Ireland, we wouldn't return.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank SBrantley

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are continually refurbishing, maintaining and restoring the house and furniture. Whilst I admit some of the antiques and are a little battered and stained, the house itself and everything else is in excellent condition. With regards to the wines, we have an extensive wine list with over 90 wines and I'm sorry if this was not offered to you during your stay. We normally hand out the menus and wine list before dinner to all our guests. We do our utmost to be warm, friendly and welcoming and we will continue work hard to improve on this. Thanks again for your comments and best wishes, Justin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr
Douglas
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Montenotte
Clarion Collection The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!