• Breakfast included
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot water bottlesdrawing roomhonesty barwedding receptionglamping tentsdelicious foodthe barnwedding venueopen firefishing triphigh expectationslittle toucheswonderful christmasdrinks receptiongin distillerydowntown abbeyhusband and wife team
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Spent a glorious evening in Ballyvolane House. Beautiful setting, gracious welcome and stunning sunshine.
Best part though was having dinner in their restaurant in Lismore, O'Brien's Chop House. Another great welcome followed by brilliant Pig's Tails and excellent TBone for two.
Simple setting with local produce allowed to shine through. Can't get better than that!
Definitely worth at trip to both the house an the restaurant. (We didn't have dinner in the house but those who did said it was excellent.)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reasted
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Reasted,

Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. Glad you enjoyed you stay as well as the grub at O'Brien Chop House. I will shared you kind comments with all the team here and at the Chop House.

Thanks again for your support and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Best wishes,

Justin Green
Owner

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We had the most wonderful stay at Ballyvolane House last week. It was our kids' first trip to Europe (5 and 7 year old boys), and we wanted to take them somewhere special that would also be welcoming for kids. We couldn't have asked for anything more at Ballyvolane house. We arrived jet-lagged and bedraggled on a Saturday night after a looooong trip from Houston. The boys ate dinner with Justin and Jenny's fantastic kids, then we took them up to our beautiful room to find wrapped gifts on the bed (children's books, just the thing!) and chocolate cookies on the bedside table. We got the kids to bed and then went right downstairs ourselves for an incredible meal with the other guests at the house. As a parent, I can't express enough how lovely it was to stay in a place where such a thing was possible.

Of course the rooms and grounds are stunningly gorgeous. Everything was just on the point of blooming when we were there, in a month I can't even imagine how spectacular it will be. We were dreaming of our boys getting married there one day. We had so much fun stomping around the property (in borrowed Wellies) with the family dogs, whom my boys threatened to kidnap they loved so much. Our room was beyond comfortable with a huge soft bed and many pillows and two small beds for the boys. It was certainly easy to get over the jet lag there! Every day we started with a big, yummy breakfast cooked to order and plenty of tea and soda bread. Justin and Jenny helped us plan our itinerary each day and printed maps and directions. We went to Kinsale and Cashel and Lismore. Our last night, Justin took the kids on a tractor ride around the property. Then my husband and I had an extravagant romantic dinner just the two of us in the drawing room that we felt to be one of the best nights of our lives.

We were very sad indeed to leave Ballyvolane House after three nights. As soon as we can get ourselves back to Ireland, we'll be there! Thank you for everything!! - Casey and Ryan

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Penthesileia
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Casey & Ryan,

Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. We loved having you all here and I am delighted you all had such a great time.

I hope you will come and see us again on your next visit to Ireland.

Best wishes,

Justin Green
Owner

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Justin and Jenny, Many thanks for making our first visit to Ballyvolane so memorable last week. We had a great time and wish we could have stayed a few more days. The food was truly superb and great that so much of it is locally sourced or grown in the wall gardens. Met really interesting people while staying and hopefully will be back soon.
Thanks again for everything (including your advice on other places to stay),
Gavin and Sarah

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gavin M
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear Gavin & Sarah,

Thank you so much for staying and for your kind comments. Will share your comments with all the gang here and especially my father Jeremy the gardener! Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Just back from two wonderful days with Justin & Jenny in Ballyvolane - wonderful and friendly welcome, great local bacon & cabbage for dinner (genuine flavours and wonderful texture, unlike so much supermarket meat), cooked breakfast both mornings, nice countryside walks in the grounds, plus they organised an afternoon's canoe trip with Denis Murray, with a packed lunch, on the Blackwater river. "Canadian" style canoe - no hardship & didn't get wet. No wonder it is so attractive for special events. Best of luck with the glamping - deserves to do well. We'll be back during the summer - to explore Lismore and try the Green's other venue - O'Brien's Chop House, and to be pampered.

Room Tip: Most rooms are south facing over the landscaped rear gardens - working timber window shutters & heavy curtains are a bonus during the cold winter nights, would love to wake in the summer to the sunshine across the garden - and lie in bed until the sun floods the room!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roscar1

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the review. I am delighted you had a good time and I will share your feedback with all the gang here and with Denis Murray of Blackwater Boating.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We've stayed here numerous times, firstly about 2.5/ 3 yrs ago. On our first visit we agreed if we were ever to marry Ballyvolane would be it and we had the absolute pleasure of making this a reality June 12th 2011.

If I were to name all the positives of this place I could get this review bound but here's just a couple:

Jeremy, Justin and Jenny. The most charming, informative, interesting and accomodating hosts I've ever met along with their equally charming 3 children.

Dumpling the cutest dog I've ever met, an honoury room mate and a rather popular wedding guest.

The food. Oh the food!! We arrived 4 days prior to the wedding and let's just say it was a tight squeeze into the previously "roomy" dress. From the fantastic breakfast, to afternoon tea to the most splendid dinners. I've yet to have one piece of food here I didn't love. The care and passion they put into the food is evident and I can't wait to come back for more.

The beds, bedding, room size, baths and those heavenly electric blankets.

The crackling fire which is expertly attended to.

The staff. I, along with most people, value good staff but what you get in Ballyvolane is different. They expertly make you feel like one of the family, immediately welcome and nothing is too big an ask. I can safely say Aidan was a bigger hit at my wedding than myself and my husband put together (people still ask if he passed his exams, i fear guests may have called him).

In summary this place is magic. They make each stay better than the last and gave myself, my husband, my family and my friends a wedding we simply couldn't have had anywhere else.

What the Green family is doing for Irish hospitality and food is truly exciting and I look forward to seeing what's next.

I don't have one single negative to post about this house apart from, tragically, it's not mine.

• Stayed: June 2011
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Thank you again for having chosen Ballyolane House as the location for your wedding. We had such fun planning and running the wedding and still enjoy reminiscing about it all.

Hope you are both keeping well and hope to see you soon. Dumpling sends hugs and kisses too.