All reviewshot water bottlesdrawing roomhonesty barwedding receptionglamping tentsdelicious foodthe barnwedding venueopen firepre dinner drinksfishing triplively conversationmemorable stayhigh expectationslittle toucheswonderful christmasvery comfortable room
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We've stayed here numerous times, firstly about 2.5/ 3 yrs ago. On our first visit we agreed if we were ever to marry Ballyvolane would be it and we had the absolute pleasure of making this a reality June 12th 2011.

If I were to name all the positives of this place I could get this review bound but here's just a couple:

Jeremy, Justin and Jenny. The most charming, informative, interesting and accomodating hosts I've ever met along with their equally charming 3 children.

Dumpling the cutest dog I've ever met, an honoury room mate and a rather popular wedding guest.

The food. Oh the food!! We arrived 4 days prior to the wedding and let's just say it was a tight squeeze into the previously "roomy" dress. From the fantastic breakfast, to afternoon tea to the most splendid dinners. I've yet to have one piece of food here I didn't love. The care and passion they put into the food is evident and I can't wait to come back for more.

The beds, bedding, room size, baths and those heavenly electric blankets.

The crackling fire which is expertly attended to.

The staff. I, along with most people, value good staff but what you get in Ballyvolane is different. They expertly make you feel like one of the family, immediately welcome and nothing is too big an ask. I can safely say Aidan was a bigger hit at my wedding than myself and my husband put together (people still ask if he passed his exams, i fear guests may have called him).

In summary this place is magic. They make each stay better than the last and gave myself, my husband, my family and my friends a wedding we simply couldn't have had anywhere else.

What the Green family is doing for Irish hospitality and food is truly exciting and I look forward to seeing what's next.

I don't have one single negative to post about this house apart from, tragically, it's not mine.

• Stayed: June 2011
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Thank you again for having chosen Ballyolane House as the location for your wedding. We had such fun planning and running the wedding and still enjoy reminiscing about it all.

Hope you are both keeping well and hope to see you soon. Dumpling sends hugs and kisses too.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Attended my Nephews wedding at Ballyvolane House, beautiful gardens historic setting, unique and personable. Fabulous food, superb accommodating service from friendly staff, would definitely recommend for a stay or just to visit

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you very much for your review. Delighted you enjoyed the wedding, the setting, service and food. Please come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had the great pleasure of staying at Ballyvolane House from July 6-8th. I found this property on Hidden Ireland and had hoped that it would be as pleasant and beautiful as it looked on the site - it was perfectly represented. We travelled with our 2 sons, 13 and 15, and reserved 2 rooms, both of which were beautifully appointed in a casual and elegant style. The property is lovely and the proprietors, Justin and Jenny Green, could not have been more welcoming. The Irish breakfast in their beautiful dining rooms was a treat which we looked forward to each morning. Justin was kind enough to take us to feed the piglets, chickens and doves one morning. Our boys could not have been happier. In fact, they did not want to leave! Overall, staying at Ballyvolane was one of the highlights of our 3-week trip. We would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Ireland who is looking for a very special Irish experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Happytraveller5861
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the great review. I am delighted you all had a good time and we enjoyed having you all here. Ballyvolane House and the other houses that are members of 'Hidden Ireland' all offer a uniquely authentic Irish experience. I will share your kind comments with all the staff here at Ballyvolane House. Please keep in touch and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 11 May 2011

We just spent 5 splendid nights at Ballyvolane. To my surprise the food was a highlight! We enjoyed the countryside and seaside drives from the house and returning each day to a fantastic dinner cooked with all fresh produce, from their garden including the roast pork, in the dining-room. I forgot to mention we loved soaking in the bath each evening - a room with a view! Every detail is thought of from the lovely bed and linen, books, afternoon tea, full bar, elderflower fizz, wifi, quality bath products. We met interesting guests every night at dinner and loved hearing about Jenny & Justin's stories of hotels. We will highly recommend this house as a must-visit if visiting Ireland to all our friends.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with lots of light
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LSlorne
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you so much for staying. We are delighted you had such a good time. Please keep in touch and we will come and see you when we next visit Melbourne. Thanks again, Justin

Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have just returned from four magical days with Jenny, Justin and their kids, and it feels as if we have been staying with friends, rather than at a hotel. I guess however that's because they don’t see it as a hotel but just their home, where guests are welcome.

We had stayed there for one night a few years ago, and this was our first opportunity to return. It felt a little like putting on a favourite old jacket, when everything feels right and fits so well. Big squashy chairs, huge comfortable beds and with those old fashioned deck chairs in the garden, the ones that take forever to get the right way up!

The meals where simple, but superb, country house fare made with fresh, local ingredients and served by a young enthusiastic staff.

A special word about Justin's dad Mr Green Sr. who has retired to produce all the vegetables used in the house from the biggest walled garden we have ever seen, he also collects the fresh eggs from the chicken house before cooking breakfast. Long may he enjoy his "retirement".

This is not the cheapest place to stay, but we have paid much, much more for a great deal less in fancy hotels.

BTW The bathrooms where built in a differant era so if you want a room with a shower instead of one with a hugh bath you can swim in, better to let them know when you book.

Brian and Hilary

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tannsfeld

Brian & Hilary, we really enjoyed having you back again and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your support, Justin