“Where have all the flat sheets gone”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Portfinn Lodge

Portfinn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Leenane B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“Where have all the flat sheets gone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

From seeing the show "At your Service" I was expecting a bit more from the dinning experience. The food was average at best and the service wasn't great., however the views of Killary Harbor in the dinning room were fantastic. There were a few regulars dinning that night and they seemed to get all the service. The waitress was very short with us as if she didn't have any time despite there only being four tables seated. I had the muscles and they were a let down for sure. There was a very strong taste of the see off them and they weren't completely cleaned from the seaweed. For the main I had the scallops and then were decent. The other main we had was the poached chicken which was average, but we weren't expecting much as there specialty was seafood.

The room was average and I am not sure that the bed was totally clean. I am not a fan of beds that only have a fitted sheet and a duvet. I would like a flat sheet, unless you are going to guarantee me that the duvet cover is washed after each guest.

Breakfast the following morning was average.

Leenaun was a fantastic spot and not to be missed. You can probably get another B&B of the same quality for €35 pp instead of €50 as it was here.

I neglected to mention the picture of a horses head above the bed. huh?? Have they not seen the Godfather?

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank trevorjmahoney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Westport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Decided to try Portfinn after seeing it on TV on the "At your service" programme on RTE. We booked a table in the restaurant and a double room for the night.

I have to say that we thoroghly enjoyed our stay especially the delicious food on offer. They specialise in seafood but also have an array of other choices for the non fish eaters. I had perfectly cooked fresh scallops which were as big as I have seen and locally caught. My other half had the chefs seafood selection.which If you ask they will give you a selection of the different fish available with the sauce or sauces of your choice.
What I really liked was that you do not have to stick to the menu. You could have one of the main courses as a starter portion if you liked . or a different sauce from another dish - completely flexible. One thing is for sure - you wont leave hungry as the portions
are very generous and come with lovely homemade brown bread.

They also have a good selection of wines and fantastic views. You will have to book early to get one of the window tables though. It is a family run guesthouse and the owner who we saw on TV was out and about checking up on his customers which is always nice to see.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and good value for the price. Afterwards we took the short stroll down to the local pubs - Hamiltons Bar and "The Field" bar next door. Had a drink in each but no sigh of the Bull McCabe time but we will be back!

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

This was our second time in Leenane.

We arrived and were greeted in the most unfriendly way by a non local girl ( Nothing against foreign as I am one of them)

Our room had nothing to do with the ones on the website and was cold cold!

Food very average and pricey and breakfast awful
then again we asked to sit by the window and were told no no again

My husband got the driest scramble eggs ever made and dumped them to the lovely dogs

On the second night we decided to visit the Blueberry cafe for dinner and loved it!
Local food , cooked well at fair prices.

Leenane is beautiful but does not have a good range of places to stay.

check into Delphi Lodge and spoil yourself!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
ODalyConnemara, Owner at Portfinn Lodge, responded to this review, 13 June 2010
Dear Blanca, thank you for taking the time to write your review of Portfinn Lodge on Trip advisor. I am so sorry you had a bad experience with us. As you can appreciate being in the travel industry yourself it is close to impossible to get it right 100% of the time, and to my disappointment you were in this very very rare 1%. If you are in the area in the near future please feel free to pop in and give us another shot.
My Apologies,
Oran Daly
Owner/Manager
Western Ireland, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2010

Just had dinner at the restaurant, did not see the bedrooms.
When we (4) arrived the brown bread was on the table, it tasted ok (choice of bread would be good). Our order was taken promptly & the wine was excellent. One of my friends asked for no lemon on the fish but when it arrived, there was lemon on the plate.....no apology for that. When my rack of lamb arrived there were only 3 chops (a bit on the small side) veg portions were also on the small side.
Did not have dessert. paid 193euro for 4 starters & main courses & 2 bottles of wine.
I was expecting a wow meal after seeing this restaurant on "At your Service" on RTE but I left very disapointed.
The location is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
ODalyConnemara, Owner at Portfinn Lodge, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Dear Moycullen1
We at Portfinn Lodge and Fjord restaurant are very concerned to hear that your experience here was not up to what you expected. Our property has been in the family for two generations and we take great pride in our property and service. We strive to ensure that every guest receives an experience above and beyond their expectations.
We at Portfinn operate a waste control system in order to help the environment and food costs. I apologize that the veg with your meal was a little on the small side, the simple remedy for situation was to ask for more, which we would have accommodated.
Part of our philosophy is not only providing guests with the best possible product, but also in the best possible way. This commitment to service and hospitality that means so much to me as your host, because I want you to always feel reassured that you will always leave Portfinn with a smile and a good memory.
Feel free to pop in any time when you are in the area, and being nearby, I hope you will
Oran Daly.
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

My cousin and I stayed here for the Easter break. There is room for improvement eg the lounge could be made more comfortable and the rooms are quite basic but the location is good for travelling around this incredible area, the view of the Harbour is perfect, genuine local pubs in the village, the staff are really friendly and - best of all - the food is excellent (the son is a chef recently returned from NYC) - delicious and good value with a short but spot on wine list - we ate delicious scallops in garlic butter, mussels with thai curry sauce, steaks with fresh pepper sauce etc all washed done with delicious French wines!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank raquel2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
36.3 km away
31.4 km away
Sleepzone @ The Connemara Hostel
7.8 km away
Glen Valley Farmhouse B&B

Been to Portfinn Lodge? Share your experiences!