Review Highlights
Great afternoon out

Very interesting and enjoyable afternoon. Denis was a great guide and my 2 grandchildren aged 9... read more

Reviewed 26 August 2020
Traveler30440379084
Brilliant day out.

Really friendly and informative, a brilliant day out. We had two teenagers with us and they were... read more

Reviewed 27 July 2020
mrs_sun
derbyshire
via mobile

All reviews mussels enjoyable afternoon denis quinn seals
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 October 2018

Sometimes I have to admit that I have some really good ideas and organising a visit to Bartra Island with Denis Quinn during my stay at Killala is on the list of my best ones to date! We made the trip out to Bartra Island at low tide around 1pm on a Sunday and spent the afternoon exploring the ruined Kirkwood family home, the "fairy" trees, the seaweed beds and the surrounding islets off the bank of the river Moy where we could discreetly watch all the bird and animal life that call this beautiful, peaceful place "home". My bonus at the end of our trip was a visit to the nearby 15th century Rosserk Friary. There is so much to see in north Mayo and having Denis as a knowledgeable, friendly guide on the local history, but also the flora and fauna was a real treat for me, thanks Denis!

Date of experience: September 2018
Denis Q, Owner at Wild Atlantic Cultural Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Thanks Sarah, it was a pleasure. You're right, there is so much to see and do around north Mayo. hopefully you will be back again.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Six of us were in Ireland to celebrate my parents' 60th wedding anniversary, and we spent a day with Denis exploring north County Mayo. It was a blustery, rainy October day, more typically suited for reading by the fire, but we all returned from our outing with Denis with smiles, ruddy cheeks and newfound knowledge about the history and culture of this remarkable area. We chewed on seaweed, toured an inspiring art center, explored timeless ruins, and viewed the churning sea from atop dramatic cliffs. Very memorable. Thank you, Denis!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank BainbridgeTravelerz
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Myself and my boyfriend (now fiance) went to Kilalla for a weekend and had such an amazing time and it was all down to the help of a pure gentleman-Denis Quinn. He took us to a beautiful, remote spot where my boyfriend got down on one knee and popped the question!! It had all been arranged for weeks and Denis even carried champagne the whole way to help us celebrate! He is such a lovely person and knows the area so well and is just a pleasure to spend a day with. We will definitely be back and next time do the foraging tour. Thanks Denis for making a big day so special.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Aoife C
Reviewed 2 November 2016

If you wish to understand the history, habitat and legends of County Mayo, take a trip with Denis Quinn!!

Denis will show you sights you would never understand without someone like him explaining them all to you!! Truly a magical experience!!!

My only regret Denis, is that we did not spend more time with you!!! Your knowledge made the time we spent together seem to go by way too quickly!!

Would recommend that anyone wishing to understand the land and the people -- spend at least one full day with Denis or, maybe even two!!!

Thanks so much Denis!! Hoping to get back one day and have you show us more of "your" Ireland!! I promise I won't try to chase anymore runaway tissues over the cliff again!! :-))

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank Sheila M
Reviewed 14 September 2016

My girlfriend and I went on a foraging tour with Denis in Killala and it was wicked!

Denis took us out onto one the most remote and rugged islands just off of Killala, which is only accessible during certain weeks of the month. The island is uninhabited, with only a single man-made structure in existence - if you want to get close to rugged nature this is a great spot to do so.

Denis's knowledge of the wildlife is unbelievable. He led us to forage mussels, cockles, samphire and many other ingredients, all of which we cooked that evening for dinner.

At one point we ascended a slope in the terrain only to come across a pair of seals and their pup on the other side, only about 30 meters away.

It's such a cool experience sustaining yourself with food you have foraged with your own hands, I would recommend it to anyone.

Really great and unique experience with a great, friendly host.

Date of experience: September 2016