“The spa is heavenly!”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were at DromolandCastle for a business conference, and sadly there was no room at the inn! Despite that, I booked a facial at their beautiful spa and it was one of the most relaxing and therapeutic 2 hours I've ever spent!
My luggage was delayed by the airlines, and had just caught up after 3 days in the same clothes! The ladies at the spa took great care to dissolve the stress and polish me up to face the rest of my visit.
The Irish Voya seaweed products are luscious, and rather than the usual spa hard-sale, I had to make sure that I didn't go home empty-handed.
Schedule a quiet period of pure indulgence at this serene retreat- you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mdotmom
There are newer reviews for Dromoland Castle Hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in Dromoland Castle and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was super delux and fit for a king! My daughter and I had afternoon tea and it was delightful served beautifully. The food was pretty and I should have taken a picture. But I did take a picture of our room for 3 people and will post it.
Our dinner there was delicious and served beautifully with much fanfare.
The grounds are just beautiful and the lake is gorgeous. We are already planning our next stay for next spring.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 9 July 2012

By far the highlight of our Ireland vacation! Grounds are magnificent. Service second to none.We came for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and were upgraded ( without asking) to a Tower room on Top Floor. It was perfect, but not for anyone that has difficulty walking lots of spiral steps. EVERY employee at the Dromoland made us feel welcome, but moreso, special! Indoor pool was beautiful as was walled garden. Watching the wait staff 'falling over each other' was like theater to me. They were everywhere and serving everyone! We had a light bite of a sandwich and felt like royalty. Obviously quite pricey... but overall a great experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Atmosphere frosty and unwelcoming, rooms stuck in the 1980's, no mini-bar and €6.50 surcharge to bring anything to room, tried to charge us for breakfast we didn't have, I could go on.

Dreadful.

• Stayed: July 2012
11  Thank Jengamast
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed at Dromoland for 3 nights last month. If I could, I would give Dromoland 4 and a half stars - Four stars for the hotel and 5 stars for the spa. I loved the castle itself and the general atmosphere of the place. I have to agree with other reviewers, though - I didn't find the overall experience to be 5-star. We arrived on a chilly and rainy day and it was so nice to settle in by a fire with a cup of tea in the gallery. My husband and daughter played a game of chess. That evening we had dinner at the golf club and then enjoyed listening to a wonderful female folk singer in the castle bar.

However, there were a few service lapses that, in my opinion, would not typically occur at a 5 star property. The first "lapse" occurred when we arrived at the golf club restaurant for dinner. We had booked a reservation through the concierge/reception at the castle. When we arrived at the club restaurant we were taken to a back room that was very unlike the main dining area. In this room was a large table seating about 20 to 25 people who were clearly part of a golf banquet party. There was no one else in this room except the golf party. The large table took up most of the room and there were a few small, empty tables and booths around the perimeter. The hostess attempted to seat us at one of these tables. Mind you, the golf banquet party was announcing awards, clapping, cheering, etc. We could hardly hear one another. It was most awkward for us to be seated in what seemed to be a private party room. I pointed out to the hostess that this seemed to be a private golf banquet, and she seemed quite perplexed and explained that the main dining room was full. I explained that we preferred to be seated in the main dining room and would wait. Given that we had made a reservation I was pretty disappointed that there was not a table available for us. We ended up having to wait about 20 minutes to be seated in the main room. It was worth the wait and we enjoyed a very good meal.

The next disappointment occurred after our dinner. It was raining pretty hard and they told us they would call a shuttle/golf cart to take us back up to the castle. After waiting for about 15 minutes we gave up and walked in the rain. We never saw the shuttle as we walked back to the castle. Not a big deal, but given the prices, just not acceptable. My husband and I and our teenage daughter shared a large room - I think it was around 650 euro.

We did not have dinner in the formal restaurant, mainly because we were traveling about during the day. Instead we had a couple of wonderful meals in the coastal towns of County Clare. We did have breakfast in the dining room, though. It is pricey (not included with our room rate). I don't know quite how to explain the dining room service that we experienced at breakfast. It is fussy and "over the top", but somehow not pleasant.

On the positive side, our room was well-appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was terrific. We were lodged in a wing that was directly across from the main entrance. I have to say, I have traveled extensively and Dromoland has the BEST pillows in all the world. I am planning to inquire as to the manufacturer.

I also need to put in a plug for the spa. The spa is first-rate. I had a facial one day and a massage another. I highly recommend the spa services if you are staying at Dromoland. I found the spa prices to be more reasonable than the food and lodging costs at Dromoland. The prices are in line with day spa prices in the states. The spa itself is lovely and they do it all very well. My daughter also had a massage by a different therapist and she was also very happy with the service.

All in all, though, I don't think the experience was worth the price - at least not for three nights. I recommend staying one or two nights at Dromoland because it really is a beautiful castle.
If you want a wonderful experience in Clare, consider staying at the Moy House (see my review of that proprety). We stayed there one night before coming to Dromoland for three nights and we wished we done it the other way around - three nights at Moy and one at Dromoland.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank cellapink
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
0.9 km away
37.7 km away
Gregans Castle Hotel
Gregans Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!