Review Highlights

thingamajig
Swords, Ireland
via mobile
Excellent

A stunning array of traditional black cobs/ maxi cobs. After a long sabbatical from horse riding... read more

Reviewed 31 October 2021
Andreena P
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Birr
from US$31.07
More Info
All reviews hour trek horse trek kinnitty castle experienced riders noel horses trail activity ireland bloom
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 November 2021 via mobile

Booked a horse trek through our stay at the wonderful Kinnity Castle hotel. Neither of us are familiar with horses but were looking forward to the experience. Noel arrived right on time accompanied by Susan and made my wife and I so comfortable with being on a horse that within minutes we were trekking away through the beautiful Sliabh Bloom Mountains as if we were experienced riders. Noel is a real personality and kept us amused and safe on our trek. I can heartily and wholeheartedly recommend #Birrequestriancentre as an activity provider to enjoy your stay.

Date of experience: November 2021
Reviewed 31 October 2021 via mobile

A stunning array of traditional black cobs/ maxi cobs.

After a long sabbatical from horse riding, I treated my sister to a trek with Birr Equestrian Centre, safe in the knowledge that she would have a steady, sensible horse to ride in magnificent surroundings. My sister loved every minute of it and Brown Jack went a long way to improving her confidence in horse riding again. Thank you Noel.

Date of experience: October 2021
Reviewed 1 September 2021

My son and I booked a 1 hour trek leaving from Kinnitty Castle Hotel today and it was fabulous. From the initial contact to our dismount I was very happy. Noel lead us today and was very friendly, professional and courteous . We felt very safe at all times and really enjoyed the views and the trails. Often horses just plod along on trails and then get a little excited once headed towards home but that was not the case here, they were perfect gentlemen the whole way and rode at a pace comfortable to us. I really hope that on our next visit to Ireland we can come and do a longer trek. Many thanks to Noel and the two Jacks for a great time. Highly recommend.

Date of experience: September 2021
Birr Equestrian C, Manager at Birr Equestrian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2021

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Reviewed 2 August 2021

I have been looking forward to going to Birr for the last three years!!
I booked a hack for myself and my 11 year old daughter.
I have some experience of horse riding but my daughter doesn't but I told the gentleman that and booked it all
When we got there we were greeted by a lovely lady but unfortunately she didn't accompany us on the hack.
We left the arena without even doing a circle of it. We also had with us two smaller children accompanied by their mother who was walking along.
My daughter wasn't shown how to guide the horse or hold the reins, in fact I heard the girl snap at her a few times about where she was putting her hands, to lean forward on the horse on the way up the hill etc
There was absolutely no interaction with us and it totally felt like the grooms that came with us were bored. At one stage the young girl even say, I am not taking these horses on a trek again.
My horse only got a bit of excitement when he was going home!!! The only thing was it was a very hot day.
But I wouldn't be in a hurry back and I wouldn't recommend the centre to anyone. Sorry!!

Date of experience: July 2021
1  Thank Sandra M

We are really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us, please be assured that we will discuss your comments with our staff and strive to ensure that these issues don't happen again. Once again apologies.

Reviewed 21 May 2021 via mobile

Normal, when you go to a place that does pony rides commercially, it can be a little unexciting. It is nobody’s fault: the ponies tend to be chosen for their gentle temperament, and after a few times around the circuit, they know where to go, so they seem a little bored. This was NOT my experience at Birr Equestrian Centre. The horses and ponies were responsive, the trail was beautiful and the accompanying riders were engaging and nice. My son loves to chat, my daughter doesn’t, and the staff that were with them responded accordingly.
The place was fully COVID compliant (I was there in July 2020) and everything felt very professional. Top marks, and hope we get back there someday.

Date of experience: July 2020
1  Thank Y9284FCkimb

Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate the review.