“Definately a place to stay without doubt.”
Review of Aaron House

Aaron House
Aaron House
Ranked #11 of 14 Birr B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I had to go to a local funeral and travelled from Dublin down when I phoned ahead to inquire about a room I got Betty on the phone, she was so warm and pleasant that normally I'd check around for price etc but this time I booked immediately and I knew I made the right choice. When I arrived at the house I was greeted by Bettys daughter and a pleasant young girl showed me my room facilities etc. I thought it was a hotel I had booked as it has all the comforts of one but with the hospitality of Betty and family. Breakfast next morning my god you wouldn't get it in a 5 star hotel. Bettys business is successful because of the fantastic warmth they show you when your there and long may it continue for them lovely people and I will be back. Highly recommend Aaron house.

• Stayed: January 2012
bet447, Owner at Aaron House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

What a review....We are so glad that you found our home so welcoming and that you thought it was a hotel! Wow that's great to hear!
Once again a big thank you from our family.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We were invited to a wedding in Kinnitty and booked for 5 nights at Aaron House. Betty greeted us and made us feel at home right away. We opted for the full breakfast which was delicious ( home made soda bread lovely!) to keep us going, as there wasn't anywhere to have a coffee or a meal. We didn't have the car so had to rely on other wedding guest to run us into the nearest town of Birr. Betty provided tea or coffee and biscuits for free in her lounge which you could help youself to anytime. Beds were so comfy. The local pub the Giltrap provided the entertainment along with free food one of the nights, with traditional irish music and a free BBQ on the Saturday with live band. We had a brilliant time and the wedding was excellent.
Would like to thank the Grimes, the local hairdresser for getting us out of a fix, the Giltrap and local taxi driver and to everybody who made our few nights in Kinnitty special. They are the friendliest most generous and loyal people you will ever meet

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I first came across Aaron House near the end of a motorcycle trip from Rosslare to Birr on a very wet October afternoon last year. Cold, wet, tired and hungry, I phoned ahead and was immediately struck by the warm and friendly response I received from Betty Grimes who runs this lovely Guesthouse in Kinnitty, nestling at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains in Co.Offaly, with her husband, Mike.

When I arrived, I was met by Mike, who couldn't do enough for me. He not only insisted on locking my bike securely in his garage, but offered to dry my soaking outer garments for me, overnight. This is typical of the kind of welcome you will receive during your time at Aaron House and was the reason I drove half Way across Eire to stay there again, a year later.

Betty and Mike have created in Aaron a very special place, which hospitably opens it's doors equally to guests with mobility impairment, motorists, cyclists, hikers (and motorcyclists!) Although modern, Aaron House has great character and it's owners have obviously given careful thought to the needs of their residents. There is a Guest Lounge, which is very homely and offers tea and coffee making facilities. This is a great idea and something that other Guesthouses would do well to copy. Breakfast is served with a smile and, whatever you choose, it will be generous and well presented and is, in fact, the best I have come across in Irel;and.

As for the bedrooms, you will find plenty of space here and you can lose yourself in those king sized double beds and enjoy a reviving power shower.

If, like me, you are a great lover of Ireland's superb coastline, your experience of the Irish Midlands will, nonetheless, not disappoint. This is an area where sky meets water with great charm in the River Shannon's fresh and sea water Loughs. Picturesque Kinnitty has a remote feel to it, yet it is close to Eire's new and efficient motorway system that will rapidly convey you to all parts of the country. There are many unusual and rewarding places to visit within easy reach of the town, from the giant astronomical telsecope and lovely gardens at nearby Birr Castle to the tranquillity of Clonmacnoise Monastery and the Slieve Bloom Mountains with their many walking trails so much loved, the area hosts a yearly Hiking Festival. Nationally famous sites such as the Rock of Cashel, are comfortably within a day's drive.

Whether you are just passing through the region or looking to stay longer, Aaron House offers superb accommodation and great Irish hospitality. This is a Guesthouse which thinks it's a hotel, but with that personal touch that will make you want to return, and not just the once.

Reviewed 6 October 2010

We stayed here for a wedding and were so delighted with the welcome, room, location and breakfast. The warm and homely feel of the B and B is a welcome change from some hotels we've been to. The breakfast was a welcome change from the usual scrum one finds at a breakfast buffet in many of the more expensive hotels and the service was second to none.

Fantastic value as well, much better than an hotel for about a third of the price. Would 100% recommend it to anyone who is attending a wedding in Kinnity Castle or nearby.

Reviewed 3 October 2010

A warm welcome, good breakfast, lovely room a short walk from Kinnity Castle Hotel where our friends were having their wedding. Good value for money - would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
12.2 km away
21.5 km away
The Rectory Deerpark
The Rectory Deerpark
#6 of 14 in Birr

Been to Aaron House? Share your experiences!