“Charming Irish Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Youghal
Ankeny, Iowa
“Charming Irish Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Wonderful old hotel overlooking Youghal Bay. Great breakfast. Friendly professional staff, especially the excellent manager who seemed to be everywhere, greeting everyone, often by name. Hope to go back soon and stay longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dandjshannon
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review.

It is always a great incentive for us to work even harder when we are rewarded with pleasant reviews like your own.

We hope that you do indeed return soon and look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable stay.

Warm Wishes & Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I contacted this establishment today to enquire about availability for two double rooms for 2 nights in late June. I rang the main telephone number which was answered by a man who just said "hello" I had to ask was I through to the Walter Raleigh hotel and explained my query to which I was told their reservations desk was extremely busy (I now rather doubt that!) and that I would be called back.

A short time later a woman named Jackie did call me back and I was told that yes they had two superior rooms available for my chosen dates but when I then proceeded to mention my livingsocial vouchers I was told that actually no they had no rooms for those dates! I asked to speak to a Manager and was told he was unavailable, so I asked for his name and was reluctantly told it was Brian and he would call me back. In fact it was a little while later that Jackie herself returned my call and told me that they could accommodate me but not in superior rooms (as there were none available!) but in ordinary rooms at the back of the hotel with no sea view which were a good deal smaller. I decided to go ahead with the booking and furnished Jackied with my name, address, voucher numbers. I was then asked for my credit card details to secure the booking and when I queried was this necessary as it was prepaid through livingsocial she explained that it was necessary for security purposes. I agreed that was fine but as I was out walking my dogs I would call her back within the hour with the details to which she replied that she couldn't make the booking without it. I said surely she could hold the rooms for an hour to which I didn't in fact I didn't get a reply just a sigh. I was then asked for the names of the people who would occupy the other room which I immediately gave and was told that they too would have to ring the hotel with their credit card details. I explained that I was gifting the weekend away to my friends and that I thought it was very inappropriate to have to ask them for their credit card info! I then asked to speak to Brian who was again unavailable.

He did call me back a short time later and boy oh boy what a man! To say he is dogged, disinterested and downright rude is an understatement. I was told that he was doing me a HUGE favour by giving us two rooms in the first place, he denied the fact that I was told that there were superior rooms available and that it was "company policy" to secure each room with a card. I have absolutely no problem with that but surely to God one card is enough to secure two prepaid rooms? He was totally uninterested in my situation and shouted that there was absolutely nothing he could do so I could take it up with their Sales and Marketing people if I wanted to. I asked who his superior was and was told it was none of my business! I wasn't even given his surname. I proceeded to tell him his customer service skills were sadly non-existent and that he was surely in the wrong job. I was continuously shouted down with every question I attempted to ask. It could certainly not be considered as a Manager/Customer conversation as all he was interested in was the sound of his own voice. After about 10 minutes of refusing to answer my queries or assist me in any way other than to try and shrug me off on his Sales and Marketing colleagues HE HUNG UP!!!!

I have never in my life been treated so disgustingly or with such disdain and this from a so-called Manager who is supposed be setting an example for his staff! I can only say that if you have purchased a livingsocial voucher for this hotel good luck to you! I will be contacting them to get a refund. Spend your money somewhere else. Somewhere you will be treated like a paying customer who matters.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank CowgirlLD
Joanna H, Director of Sales at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for taking the time to speak with me this morning, to discuss your recent experience when calling the Walter Raleigh Hotel & my sincere apologies for the manner in which your reservation was treated. We value all our customers at The Walter Raleigh Hotel & I can assure you that an incident as you have experienced will never happen again. Your comments have been taken on board and will be dealt with very seriously.
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I am using one of the hotel meeting rooms on a daily basis. I have to say i have found Brian the operations manager and the other staff to be a joy to deal with. Anything I have asked for I have gotten without complaint or delay, including facilities that came as an additional cost to them. Complimentary coffee delivered every morning when I arrive, delivered with a smile and plesant conversation.
I have eaten from the menu and the food was very good and reasonably priced. Parking is abundant but the cream on top is the location, wonderful views of Youghal bay and the 1911 memorial park across the road.
I cant comment on the accommodation but there are plenty of tour buses pulling in to they must be doing something right :)

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front for the amazing view :)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Niall,

Thank you for taking the time to post this pleasant review.

I am so glad that the team here contributed to making your time at the Walter Raleigh enjoyable.
We put a strong emphasis on friendly service here and are lucky to have such personable members of staff. It is always our aim to make each guest's experience a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Thanks again and Kind Regards,
Youghal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

We went to a sports event here in the main hall as a family! 2 adults, a teen and a young child. Never again!
The way we were treated, we'd have been better treated in the Mart. They loved the main toilets on us (crowd control the manager said) not a crowd at it... Worst year ever. We have it there every year and usually it's a massive crowd... Not this year. Easy to say why. My child almost his pants. Then we were refused entry to the main bar (my sister took our kids home to use the toilets). One manager said we could go to the bar and another manager wouldn't leave us in! Place is a joke.
We were treated like animals. Sorry it took me so long to write review just at the time there was no Walter Raleigh hotel on this site.

Avoid this place like the plague!!!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank John M
Edenderry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

What a wonderful Hotel, we stayed as a family of 4 in a family room the size of which was more than expected. We dined in the bar and were so surprised as to the high standard and presentation of the food, not to forget the value also. The staff were more that helpful and were most friendly indeed. I have stayed in quite a few Hotels and would say without hesitation that their breakfast is outstanding! We will definitely return and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Martin M
Offaly

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the Bay at the front of the Hotel are very good.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Martin,

I was so pleased to read your review and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are a small close knit team here and our main emphasis is on providing a warm welcome combined with friendly skilled service and good food, in a clean environment. I am so glad that you acknowledged and appreciated this and that we contributed to making your break away truly enjoyable.

We look forward to your next stay with us; next time an extra large breakfast is guaranteed!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
1.1 km away
23.3 km away
Midleton Park Hotel
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton

Been to Walter Raleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!