“The Aillwee Caves”
Review of Aillwee Cave

Aillwee Cave
More attraction details
Owner description: A striking collection of prehistoric underground caves.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went to see the Caves as part of the Geoparks Life Universal Access Programme partnership with the Streetwise Programme, Brothers of Charity, in Ennis. I was supposed to give my feedback on the site as a person with a disability. First we went into the Aillwee Caves. It was a bit scary because it was very dark in there and I was a bit worried about bats, but I got used to it and had a nice time.

After the caves we went to the Birds of Prey and watched the flying show. I was nervous of the birds but it was ok. The man who did the bird show had a microphone so he was easy to hear. I think it would be good if the tour guide in the caves wore a microphone too because it can be difficult for people like me who need hearing aids to hear all that he was saying.

We went to the Farm Shop, it was a nice place with nice cheese and nice fudge. I also tried the mead in the shot glass, it was quite strong but it was nice though. Then shop was a bit small so I’m glad it wasn’t too busy. Then we went for lunch at the Caves Café. Lorna the manager looked after us really well. She was pretty and nice. For lunch I had chips. They were tasty and the salt on them was really nice. I was glad they had hot food, it was a bit rainy out so it was nice. The coffee was also nice and hot, I always drink coffee.

Looking back, there wasn't anything I didn't like about the day, only I was kind of nervous to go into the caves. I like everything, and the birds and Farm Shop too. I would go there again sometime. I would recommend it to kids and parents, maybe not older people or people who have a hard time walking because it is a bit of a walk inside the caves.

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank eileenkc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"hawk walk"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went to the Aillwee caves as part of my involvement in the Geoparks Life Universal Access programme in partnership with the Streetwise Programme, Brothers of Charity, Ennis. My job was to evaluate this site from the perspective of a person with a disability. I evaluated the accessibility and general experience.

It was my first time to the caves, I had heard about it but never been there. I thought it was interesting.

I really liked the birds of prey show. I like being up close and personal with nature. I actually held some of the birds and learned bits about the birds hearing and sight. I liked the caves also I thought it was interesting. I had a support person with me and I was glad. I wouldn’t have gone in there on my own because it was dark and at one stage they turned out the lights completely.

There was nothing I didn’t like they have a lovely café there with good food and a Farm Shop where you can taste cheese and fudge and buy gifts. I tasted the cheese and fudge they were lovely. I really liked the cumin flavoured cheese, and the smoked one was lovely.

I have mobility issues and usually need to use a wheelchair for long distance. You couldn’t fit a wheelchair into the cave. The manager Lorna was really good, she brought out a camping chair for me to sit down on when we stopped during our cave tour.

Getting down to the bird show from the caves, people who need wheelchairs would need to be transported back and forth by car.

The road is very steep and long. Also at the bird area using a wheelchair over the stones would difficult enough because the little stones would get caught in the front wheels. It would be better if the path was paved for easier access.

Looking back I enjoyed it. I would go back there again. I would recommend it to people of all ages but I would tell wheelchair users that they wouldn't be able to get into the caves but it would still be worth going because they could get to see the birds and the farm shop.

Date of experience: May 2014
3  Thank Áine C
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you saw any caves across the Europe you probably wouldn't be impressed but it's still worth to see. The Trip is safely short for young children - that's why I said it is good for start. But if you are a claustrophobic better stay away...

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We choose only to do the cave and not the animals and birds. It was a rainy day. We had just come from the Doolin cave. This was a very different experience. The guide told us the history but there was not much too it. There was not much value on this tour. I believe there was great value to the Doolin cave.

Date of experience: June 2014
1  Thank Dorth38
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We visited in early June. We chose the caves and the birds of prey. €50 for the family ticket. 2 adults and three small kids. Arrived just in time for a guided cave tour. Cave tour was good but I've been a few times before so perhaps it lacked the excitement you get on your first time. The kids enjoyed it. Next we went to the birds of prey flying exhibition which was in truth even
better. We all thoroughly enjoyed this. The two guys who were flying the birds were absolutely fantastic. A vulture at close quarters is a
sight to behold!! Afterwards the two guys hung around and mingled with the crowd answering questions and generally being friendly and adding hugely to the overall experience. I couldn't fault it. Every single staff member we encountered, from the tour guides to the girls in the gift shop were genuinely lovely and helpful people.

2  Thank Risteard69