All reviews manor house afternoon tea corkscrew bar tasting menu dining room fine dining drawing room four poster bed junior suite michelin star smoked fish souffle corkscrew hill galway bay private garden peat fire two nights
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was luxury hotel #2 on our trip and it didn't disappoint.
"The Burren" is evoked throughout with delightful silhouettes of hares in the decor and room decals.
It felt like an idyllic hideaway spot, and the rooms do feel tucked away but not in a pokey way, an intriguing delightful sense.
Our room was small but beautifully decorated - a little tight for getting ready given the fold away doors to the bathroom.
The design was tasteful - shower a litte on the tight side again.
Dinner was exceptional and we were presented with complimentary champagne which was a nice touch.
The Maitre "d" was knowledgeable of his wines and helpful in our choices.
Breakfast was phenomenal with organic choices of cheese, meats, fish, juices bread and more.
The bar is a cozy spot to hunker down and play board games, or the library - both have peat fires blazing away.
John, who appears to never stop working, was a great presence and made generous cocktails and always had a cheerful welcome.
With no TVs in sight, it was a true break and we didn't mind a bit.
A sense of calm and rest really does fill this castle hotel and it was a delightful step back in time.
Sleepy well-fed cats linger around - if you had an allergy might be something to bear in mind, as they do sleep on the couches.
Hunter boots are offered to use in the grounds which was a whimsical touch - we didn't need them but would be great if you didn't bring walking boots with you.
Can't recommend this hidden gem enough.

2  Thank Sherpa169420
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First off, yes other reviewer's are right, this isn't a castle but it is a large 18th century manor house with the authenticity that might conjure up - big windows, lots of rooms, nooks and crannies, creeking stairs, open fires and bags of character. If you want modern or corporate bland this isn't for you.

The hotel is nestled in the lee of a hill, with lovely views (when the drizzle stopped!) from the front garden across to both the coast and the Burren. It has it's own bar with plenty of seating complete with open fire and up to three resident cats - Shelley, the unfeasibly large male is on point to be fussed. I know cats aren't for everyone but they may be an extra draw to get your partner into the bar to enjoy a compulsory stout, Irish coffee and/or whiskey. As well as the bar there is a separate large and well furnished lounge with lots of books.

Our bedroom was on the first floor was large and comfortable - suited is to have no TV to distract (there is free wifi). The bathroom was perhaps not the best/biggest but remember this is a character house.

The dining area which doubles for breakfast and dinner is spread over three adjoining rooms, the larger one on the front has the best views so do ask to be sat there at some point of your stay (tables appeared to be pre-allocated by room). The buffet breakfast proved to the best of our Ireland stay, and there was some stiff competition, - loads of choice and the highlight for me being the stack of four pancakes with bacon and apple syrup. The a la carte dinner was superb, I can often pick out a highlight course from a posh meal but everything we had was delicious from the amuse bouche, the seasonal game terrine, the Thornhill duck breast, the dry aged beef through to the chocolate millefeuille - sorry to any vegans reading this. Service was very good, the young restaurant manager knew his stuff on the food's provenance and the lengthy wine list.

In terms of the local area, plenty of walking opportunities in the Burren, the cliffs of Moher are half an hour away as is Galway City if you're restless for hustle and bustle. Father Ted's house is quite close if you're a fan of the 90's comedy (approach from the south and not the north to avoid particularly long narrow lanes).

2  Thank Paul N
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This lodging is well-done! The room was graceful and well appointed and the grounds were beautiful. We had a fairly harrowing drive (on "corkscrew road") to get there, but the peacefulness of the spot was soothing for us. The spot was a convenient location for our visits to the Cliffs of Mohr and the Burren-- both must-do's in the area. The dinner at the restaurant was our best in Ireland. And, Ireland has pretty exceptional food! We would definitely stay again at Gretna's!

2  Thank Caroline A
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is a revised review. This site does not allow editing after review has been posted.

I came here with an all woman tour group. This group books this B&B every year. Some of the group loved it some of us did not.

Upon arriving at this B&B it is not a castle. I was overcome by the smell of peat which for me is extremely unpleasant. Within 10 minuets I had a severe allergic reaction to it. They have three outdoor cats which are allowed indoors, not very sanitary.

My room was to small for sharing! I was very uncomfortable. The room smelt of smoke, dust, mold.The bathroom shower curtain had mold and the ceiling paint was peeling.

The decor reminded me of my dead Grandmothers house. I was informed this is typical in Ireland. My first and last time in this type of establishment. I prefer resorts
with amenities and less clutter.

The staff was excellent and very professional. The food was interesting different. It was hit or miss with the evening meal. The bar area was quaint.

I found it interesting the owners responded to the bad reviews but ignored mine.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Barbara9G
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Loved this place - decor, room, common areas, restaurant, bar, staff all outstanding!
One word of caution - there are 20 cats on the property, with three living in the house. We do not have allergies but we know that others do - if you are allergic to cats you absolutely cannot stay here. The front desk needs to tell you this before you book a room!

1  Thank BoomerSeminole