“Brilliant family rooms...didn`t want to go home!”
Review of Wilton Hotel Bray

Wilton Hotel Bray
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel was previously run by the Ramada group.Thankfully the new owners have kept the very friendly,helpful and hardworking staff,who go out of their way to help.They really do work hard and sometimes the bar service can be a little slow but this is due to only one person being responsible for different jobs.Not a problem for me though.
We have 5 children.4 young children and a teen.We booked a family room and a single (for our teenager)for 3 nights.The family rooms are huge,very clean and airy and come with a DVD player,fridge and lots of space! Just what we need.Our teenager got a extremely large double room in the conference centre.We initally worried that she was a bit far away from us but she was happy to stay where she was! Wifi was no problem in either room.Both rooms were spotless and plenty of tea/coffee provided.The rooms were serviced each day and everything replenished.even with a double and 3 singles and a little "living area" there was still lots of room for a pram etc.The windows are large and reach the floor but have safety lock and can`t be opened right out.This makes the rooms bright.
Check in (we arrived quite late)was quick and easy.All the staff chatted to our children,some even remembered them from previous stays.We felt comfortable here with 5 kids,which makes a huge difference.
Breakfast was great.Lots of choice and hot.Even on busy mornings,the buffet was well stocked and there was always clear tables.We ordered room service one evening and the food was plentiful,hot and well-presented.It was very reasonably priced too.
The member of staff who works at night was friendly and chatty and had no problem in making me coffee from the bar at all hours! The hotel overall was clean and,even on a very busy day,had plenty of car parking spaces.
We enjoyed ourselves so much that we ended up staying an extra 2 nights....the room rate was reasonable too.

Only one complaint though- on the final morning we were at breakfast.The breakfast was almost finished and there were only ourselves and another family in the dining room.Only one staff member was clearing the tables and it had been a busy breakfast.This girl was very pleasant and was working extremely hard to clear the tables...when in walked a manager?? owner?? .....this lady proceeded to speak to the staff member quite harshly about how the tables needed cleared,well within earshot of both my family and the other family who were there.The staff member was very embarrassed and so were we.I really felt so sorry for the girl,who was trying her best.The manager???? then proceeded to breeze on through to the kitchen.On her return,she questioned my daughter about her having a room key(as opposed to a room card).The reason for this was because the card lock on our door was faulty,so it had been removed and a key given instead.No problems to us but the manager(?),when we explained the reason,said that it "wasn`t good enough" and "it should have been fixed"...we felt a bit like school children!
This Lady should really appreciate the hard work that the staff do here.They are a credit to this hotel.
Apart from that,we absolutely loved our stay here and can`t wait to return.You won`t get better value,more space or a nicer welcome, nearby.

This hotel is situated a little out of Bray (about 15 mins walk or 5 min drive).This suits us as central Bray is a bit noisy,even at night.10 mins drive in the opposite direction is a very pretty village and beach called Greystones,which is well worth a visit.There is a great childrens farm(glenroe) nearby and Kilruddery house and gardens are just across the road from the hotel.It is also a good base to explore the rest of County Wicklow as it is close to the main roads (N11?).

Room Tip: Ask for a larger family room as they are huge corner rooms :)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank blueraven1
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for your great review I am pleased you found the accommodation for familes large spacious comfortable and clean. I see you enjoyed the plentiful breakfast which is good to hear and most importantly you found all the staff friendly and helpful which we believe is a very important service for us to provide. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Just spent an overnight stay and would definitely return. Room was very spacious and quiet and the beds really comfortable! Had a lovely breakfast with plenty of choice. Couldn't think of anything you would want for breakfast that wasn't available.
My only complaint would be the room described on the website said robes were provided but we found this not to be the case which was a bit disappointing especially as the towels are a little on the small side!! Maybe next time!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KristinaUk

Thank you for your review I am pleased you enjoyed our comfortable accommodation and popular breakfast. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Myself and my husband stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. We had stayed in it previously when it was the Ramada, and in my opinion is has been drastically improved under Wilton. The beds were comfortable and clean. The room was nice and spacious with a free safe in the wardrobe. The only problem I had with the room, was that the walls were a little thin. While lying in bed, we were able to hear the person in the room next to us snoring. But than was easy enough to ignore once my husband started snoring.

For me the bathroom was clean enough. We spent the bare minimum of time in there so as long as the floor is clean enough to walk on bare footed, I'm generally ok. I did see the dirt that previous reviewers have talked about but there was plenty of clean wall to look at so and the dirt didnt look like feces or other body matter so who cares. I loved that the shower was detachable and not stuck to the wall, and the water pressure was great. The towels were a little on the small side.

The breakfast buffet did have an impressive choice. Yes the toasters did take forever and the food area was a little cramped. But the food was fresh and the only fly I saw, was off haressing other people so it didnt bother me.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, I would go back and I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Thank you for your review and I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your recent stay at the Wilton Hotel. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

stayed here in July for 3nights. staff friendly, rooms spacious and breakfast amazing.
we also dined here for most of our meals and can honestly say food was amazing.
it could do with a little lick of paint, and rooms on 2nd floor very very warm.
overall we had a lovely, well needed family break in bray.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank littlerach
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Hello. thanks for your great review I am delighted you enjoyed one of our great value family breaks. Its good to read you enjoyed the accommodation and the food so much. Once it quietens down in the Autumn we have a planned painting programme to do to touch up the wear and tear of the summer. We all hope to see you again soon at the Wilton Hotel Bray.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break in Bray and a two night stay at the Wilton Hotel. Having read some recent reviews I was a little concerned, but decided to hope for the best, and we were n't disappointed. Our party consisted of myself, my husband and our three young adult children. We booked a large family room, sleeping six.

We arrived late last Saturday afternoon, having spent the day sight-seeing in Wicklow. Despite the reception area being busy, we were checked in promptly. We were delighted with the room we were allocated. It was incredibly spacious with two double beds and two single beds which were all very comfortable and with spotlessly clean and fresh linen.

The bathroom was equally spacious and very clean - not only was there a great power shower, but the bath itself was lovely and deep - ideal for a long soak (I have a pet hate for hotels that have small shallow baths!). There were also plenty of towels and toiletries to hand. There was also lots of hot water all day.

The room also had a lovely seating area with two 3-seater couches and a coffee table, where we could sit and relax to watch a DVD on the player which was connected to the flat screen tv. The television signal itself is poort at times, but it really didn't bother us. It is also worth noting, that despite our room facing the front of the hotel, just to the right of the main door, we had two blissfully sound nights sleep. This despite the fact that the hotel was extremely busy on both nights!

Breakfast on both mornings was really good with a great selection of continental style and hot food to choose from - they even had rice cakes, so I think most dietary requirements would have been taken care of here.

All of the staff that we encountered during our stay were very pleasant and attentive.

The only faults we could identify really were the following:

(a) The tiled floors on the ground floor and the floor of the lift were a little sticky at times and required more regular cleaning.
(b) The bar is essentially in the reception area of the hotel, so anyone having a meal or a drink is doing so to the background of constant movement around them.
(c) The decor is in need of freshening up - i..e walls are marked or scuffed in places (nothing that a paint brush wouldn't solve quickly)

However, despite the above, we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for comfortable, yet good value accommodation (we paid €240 in total for two nights b&b for five of us - excellent I thought), in a location which is close to the sights of Dublin or the peace and beauty of Wicklow. We will definitely return - well done Wilton Hotel!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters which room you choose - you're almost guaranteed a great night'...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alcudiafan

Thank you for taking the time to add such a great review we are all delighted you had such an enjoyable stay. I am very pleased you found your accommodation so clean and comfortable. Its also great you enjoyed our super location and friendly staff. Thank you for the recommendation and we certainly would love to see you back in the hotel in the near future.

Bray

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
1.4 km away
10.6 km away
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to Wilton Hotel Bray? Share your experiences!