New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Minella

Hotel Minella
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clonmel
Dublin, Ireland
“More of a Home than a Hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. I was quite suprised to pull up in the car park of a nice hotel to find very young unsupervised children tearing around on bikes. I was even more suprised to find one of the children run in behind the check in desk and begin to tackle and pull off a man there while I was being booked in. I felt like I was intruding in someone's house and not in a professional run hotel. From what I could gather the child/children were with the owner! I was then checked in by a lovely girl she could just about make herself heard over the noise of the child in the background. She was very nice helping to take my bags to my room and was very polite and helpfull. The room I must admit was Ok it had a lovely bed and pillows but I found the room to be quite cold. The bathroom was lovely and I really appricated the lovely big towels, on thing I hate is towles the size of a face cloth to dry your body but this hotel came out ahead in this area. However I did have a few complains one was that a few light bulbs in the room were not working, the other was that you really had to bang the door to get it to close, it was no closing properly and sticking. That night after returning from being out I became aware that the hotel operates an energy saving system on the lights in the coridors. After stepping out of the lift it was pitch black dark, I was forced to walk quite a few feet before the lights came on. I found it to be a very serious health and safety risk as it could cause you to trip over not being able to see in the dark. This is something I have never experienced in a 4* hotel. The breakfast the next morning was lovely I could not fault it other than it was very big and would leave you full for the day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank crystalone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

found the hotel to be in a beautiful location with its own nice grounds, the staff were very helpful and polite, the hotel rooms and anti rooms were clean and tidy and well appointed, the spa could do with updating but was still pleasant to use with again helpful staff would certainly stay again

Room Tip: over looking the river
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have travelled world wide over the last 16 years and stayed in some very impressive 5 star hotels, and I can genuinely say that Hotel Minella is the best of all. I have stayed with and without my family(hubby & 3 kids) and each stay has proved to be extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Extremely clean, comfortable(amazing beds and beautiful sheets), complementary water and fruit, leisure facilities fab, gym & great beautician. Staff are very helpful, do people really want to be annoyed when on a break? Just ask if you want something and you get it. Owners in my opinion are just perfect, the lady is so kind and welcoming and the gentleman John, in my opinion is spot on, he'll chat when you want to and stays quiet when he sees that you don't want to be disturbed, but is very accommodating and he was always great with the kids on local trip advice etc. You'd be mad not to stay here just don't tell anyone else as I don't want my little bit of heaven ruined!

Room Tip: Just tell them you want a nice room please!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
southwales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

just back from the National Coursing Festival having stayed 3 nights, and our stay was most comfortable and welcoming by the owners, who provided a daily complimentary afternoon tea buffet and the free hot whiskies and port most welcoming after a days coursing. Well done to the Nallens, will be back deffo wish we could have stayed longer so so enjoyed , thank you so much.

Back in May with the family for a weekend break........

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank walesquods
Co Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have never stayed overnight here in he hotel but I have been to several functions here, weddings, confirmations, general parties and have always found the food to be very very nice, never had bad food here. I am from Clonmel and it is well known that the owner here is not very pleasant and it does put some people off but with a very small amount of hotels in the town, some people tend to use it anyway. The owner only seems to make small talk and be more pleasant if he knows of you or your family.
As I said, I have never had a bad experience here but also I have not stayed here so cannot comment on the facilities!
I will however come back here to visit for functions and some day I do want to try out the suite's in the new section of the building.

Room Tip: Try the food, I doubt you will be disappointed!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Totalamnesia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
3.5 km away
16.5 km away
Cahir House Hotel
Cahir House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cahir

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!