All reviews the main hotel crazy golf mini golf relaxation room leisure centre serenity spa jacuzzi bath sister hotel spa facilities bar food first class restaurant staff lovely hotel wedding reception from start to finish reception staff food was lovely
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

We had a last minute change in travel plans. We didn't have a reservation,but managed to snag a junior suite. The room was well accommodated, clean and comfortable.
The bad is the restaurants. We dined in the bar as three tour buses pulled in and the main restaurant was not available. The waiter explained our food may take a long time to arrive as the kitchen was back logged. We ordered a bottle of wine which arrived already opened. The waiter shoved it in an ice bucket, handed it to me and told me to place it on the table so we could serve ourselves. That was the last we saw of him. Later, when we went to pay, we asked to have the charges billed to our room. We were told that was impossible and against hotel policy.
The breakfast service was no better. This hotel must train their staff on the art of ignoring guests. Due to the tour groups, we had to flag a waitress to get coffee and we wound up getting it ourselves
I could go on, but the point is the food service is well below par. For this reason, I would think again before staying here.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
OrlaHayes1, Marketing Manager at Carrickdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Linda M

I am delighted we were able to accommodate you with a last minute booking, however disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience in our Dale's Lounge. Unfortunately as we were already heavily booked with pre-bookings our waiter wanted to explain to you about a possible delay in your food as you can appreciate that often if you don't know prior to ordering this can often be frustrating. I am really disappointed that the waiter was below in our standards of customer service and he certainly should not have asked you to place the wine on the table yourselves. I sincerely apologise for this and will bring this to the attention of the bar manager.

In relation and without detail of your reservation I am unsure why charging to your room was against hotel policy. Certainly if you paid on arrival unfortunately room charges would not have been permitted as your account would have been closed. If a credit card was left at the time of check in, there should not have been any issue regarding room charges so can only assume you paid on arrival.

Again I am disappointed that the breakfast service was not satisfactory. Customer service should not have been affected because we had other groups in - I can only at this stage bring this to the attention of the management team in order to prevent this from happening in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as we had a family wedding. On arrival we where greeted by pleasant, friendly staff. The venue was absolutely flawless, the food was beautiful. The waiting staff where very professional, curtious, and very helpful. The rooms where spotless clean, and very big. The bed was so comfortable too. Breakfast was lovely also. The gardens are absolutely beautiful, the ideal location for weddings. My only downfall would be the 11am check out. I would definitely recommend here to anyone.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear martinakrobinson

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I am delighted you were greeted with pleasant and helpful staff and food was fabulous at the wedding reception. We pride ourselves in the quality of food and service we provide and this is wonderful to read which makes us one of County Louth's most renowned wedding venue.

I do hope you return again in the near future and thanks for sharing your experience of the Carrickdale Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

This hotel is located on the Irish border, and is based on beautiful gardens with wonderful mountain views. The hotel itself is bright and modern, and furnished to a very high level. The rooms are large, fresh, and the beds are really comfortable. The evening meal was of a very high standard, and the waiting staff were exceptional in terms of their level of service. They were warm, efficient, and very patient. Some of us used the swimming pool, and exercise equipment. Both were pleasant areas.

One minor grumble was the 11.00 checkout time, and the €10/hour charge for staying in one's room beyond 11.00. 12.00 checkouts have been the most common in the numerous hotels I've stayed out over the years. This gimmick of the 11.00 checkout is a Ryanair-style extra revenue generating measure. It was a minor blot on an otherwise relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear JPK4978

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay and I am delighted you enjoyed the facilities at the hotel and found the rooms to a high standard. It is fantastic to read such wonderful comments about our Carrick Restaurant and I will certainly bring this to the Restaurant managers attention.

I am sorry if you feel our check out time was early, and will certainly raise this with the management team, but delighted that overall your stay was relaxing and enjoyable and hope you do return in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

I stayed here with my wife and our nine year old son in early August. We had been in Dublin the night before and were en route to Northern Ireland. This seemed like a good stop off point. The hotel is just off the motorway so in a good location.

Staff at check-in were friendly and welcoming. Our room was on a higher floor and could be accessed using the lift or the stairs. The room was spacious and in a quiert location of the hotel.

We had breakfast in the morning, which comprised a small selection of cold foods and a hot food menu from which you could order.

This was a comfortable stay. My personal opinion is that the hotel is a little 'tired.' I prefer a more modern scenario, but each to their own...

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Paulieboy
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

The Carrickdale is a wonderful hotel that serves amazing food. The staff are absolutely fantastic and welcome you like family home from a long vacation.
While I have never had the privilege of using the hotel to stay we have had the pleasure of dining there on several occasions as a family and each was a delight in itself. I highly recommend this establishment not solely for the food, which is divine, but the atmosphere! It's tasteful and homely decor coupled with modern amenities makes any trip here a feast for the eyes, and the gardens in spring are a wonder in itself.
Truly, there aren't enough compliments I can pay this hotel! I wish it's sister hotel in Newry would take a leaf out of the Carrickdales' book as they are world's apart in every respect.

Date of stay: August 2018