“Dissapointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Butler Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Waterville
“Dissapointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

On arrival we thought it could use a paint job as the overall picture looked rather shabby, but we decided to trust the 4 star rating and proceed. I have stayed in run down looking hotels before but they normally sometimes are full of character or sometimes can have great facilities such as spa/jim and pool facilities to boost their ratings to 3-4 stars, sadly this was not the case , I have travelled a fair part of thr globe playing Irish music and have stayed hundreds of hotels, from the word go we were let down, we payed 90 euro for the room including breakfast, it had no tea/ coffee facilities a 6 foot wall outside blocking our sea view and smelled strongly of cigarettes and more that I won't mention, in the night time it was freezing cold and the overall look of the room was from the 1980's, we sat down to dinner: a plate of smoked salmon for starter, straight out of aldi, it couldn't hav been fresh 2 glasses of wine and 2 main courses that were ok to be fair, 68 euro, we overheard an American in the table near us who also had smoked salmon say it was the worst starter he had had in his life, dinner staff were lovely and well mannered, breakfast was included but was priced at 14.95e each an consisted of a 1 sausage an egg two strips of bacon and 2 puddings, tea also and toast, it barely filled the plate tho, we never complain but just had to because we felt it could never EVER come near 3 or 4 star quality or even 2 at that but we had payed 4 star rates and felt by principle we should say something, the manager assured us the salmon was freshly caught and smoked that day. Which isn't even possible to do! Her assistant then told her that it was from a pack, they were thrown back by our comments and not prepared to take anything onboard . They wanted to give us back our money , we did not accept as it seemed too easy for to pass us off as a couple looking for a freebee . We left and will never return. Waterville is a beautiful town go there but stay elsewhere . My mother runes a smashing guest house in castlegregory so I know what I'm talking about because I grew up in the catering business. We charge 30 euro ahead and it is ten times the quality . Dissapointing from start to finish. Dessie

• Stayed October 2011
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank johnny278803
PenoplePeacock, General Manager at Butler Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Dear Dessie,
After reading your review I am truly disappointed as I was on the morning of your departure. The Butler Arms Hotel has been in my family for 4 generations and we the Huggard Family have always held very high standard especially in the area of food and service so after reading your very damaging review I would like to give other travellers our response. Here at the Butler Arms we do like to recieve constructive comments from our guests and we do take them on board but in this case I don't believe that the comments were are justified or fair.
Firstly when you arrived at the hotel our receptionist kindly showed you to the room before you decided to take it, she explained that this was a gardenview standard room, which it was, over looking the garden there is a wall around the garden but it does not obstruct the gardenview, Secondly you complained that the room smelt of smoke, our receptionist went to the room with you and assured me that on check in that room most defintely did not smell of smoke, we operate a strict no smoking policy in our rooms and actually go as far as charging a penatly of €200.00 for smoking in the rooms which is displayed clearly at reception for all guests to see. Regarding your meal in the resaurant I am horrified that you could suggest that our smoked salmon came from Aldi, I would happily show you our invoices from Dalys Seafood in Cahersiveen our local fish suppliers, also I did not under any circumstances indicate that the smoked salmon was caught and smoked that day !!! I tried to explain that yes our smoked salmon does come vaccum packed from Dalys Seafood as it does to all restaurants. We do not advertise ourselves as a Spa Hotel we pride ourselves on good food and service and for that reason we were awarded a 4 star, I'm sorry that our hotel was not to your liking but different hotel suit different people. On departure I did my very best to understand your complaints but I did feel they were unfair I offered you your money back as we do not like to see any of our customers dissatified I think that was more than fair.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Pawleys Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We made a stop in Waterville on our drive around the Ring of Kerry. We stepped into the Butler Arms Hotel because of their good reputation for tea and scones and to ask to use a telephone. I thought I might have left my mobile phone in Kenmare at our last B & B and I was anxious to call to find out. The young woman at the desk of the hotel was very gracious and sweetly called the B & B and then looked up the address of our future Dublin hotel for mailing the phone to me there. We discovered the time for serving scones had passed but she happily served me, my husband and our 2 friends delicious scones and coffee in their lovely sunny Charlie Chaplin room overlooking Ballinskelligs Bay. We couldn't spend the night there but I would have loved to and will if I ever have the chance to return. I can see why it was a favorite of Charlie Chaplin!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed in the butler arms for one night while on a solo cycling trip for charity. Actually I felt very reassured when I booked the hotel as the person I spoke to was very pleasant and was not at all fazed by my requesting somewhere that I could leave my bike at night! I arrived at the hotel looking scruffy and yet was treated so well and my bicycle safely locked away in jig time. I was wrecked from the cycle so opted to eat in the hotel which was a great idea! My fish, red wine and to top it off the lemon posset desert all excellent!! ! The hotel is family run and has an old fashioned elegance that is often missing from newer establishments! I found the drying room a godsend ( normally used by the golfers) and can sat the hotel is deffo cycle friendly. I must mention aoife quinlan whom the hotel contacted for a massage for me ( my neck was sore from the cycling). Well all I can say is that she is the real deal! A qualified and experienced masseuse who enjoys what she does. She uses a simple but lovely therapy room in the hotel! No big fancy spa and all the better for it. Not expensive either! Keep up the great work aoife!!

• Stayed August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank Pezenas53
Limerick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

Just back from Waterville, and we're still raving from the experience. On a day trip from Limerick, we did the staycation thing and drove around the ring of Kerry. On one of the few hot days this summer we fetched up in Waterville, where we went to have some lunch at the Butler's Arms. The food was very nice, especially the pan-fried goat cheese salad, and their sticky toffee pudding is out of this world. I can understand why Charlie Chaplin apparently like to stay there! We'll be back before they close for the winter for a weekend.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anna M
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Hotel was very comfortable and the room only rate allowed us to organise our own breakfast / special diets complimented by in room hospitality tray. Views were so eyecatching and such a relaxing place to stay. We were very impressed also with the way the staff took the time to talk to us and ensure our stay was memorable which indeed it was. Food was very very tasty too and plentiful and the location was ideal for day tripping. Would definitely go back & stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose one of the suites if you can afford it. Worth every cent