“Never again for Valentines!!! (Or any other big event.)”

Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 25 February 2009

To start on a good note - lovely hotel, in a fantastic setting. And the serving staff were excellent for the nightmare night they were about to have.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for Valentines night 2009 on a special deal - bed, breakfast & dinner for €260, which I thought was reasonable for Valentines night.

Alarm bells started ringing when I got a phone call the next day telling me that the only dinner slot they had available was for 10pm! This was blamed on too many bookings from too many sources. (Simple solution - don't take so many bookings.)

Staff were friendly at check-in. I enquired again if we could eat a little earlier and was told to come down to the bar a little early and it might be possible.
We arrived down at half 9. Went to the bar to get a drink and the barman asked me what time I was due to eat.
I said 10 and he actually snorted and said, "You'll be lucky!".

Turned out he was right, we didn't sit down for dinner until 11:30!!

It was very difficult to talk to the manager because every other person in the restaurant was grabbing her to complain about the service and the length of time they were waiting to be seated, or the length of time they were waiting for their courses to arrive (45 mins for soup to arrive in one conversation I overheard).
I managed to stop her twice, both times she went off to check and never came back. In the mean time I was spending money in the bar with no offer of a free drink!

Once seated - as I said the staff were very good. You could see they'd had a terrible night but were still smiling. And our food was excellent, with no delays in service. No doubt this was due to the fact that there were only 3 tables left in the restaurant at this time.

On checking out I commented on the problems from the night before and was told that the chef had only been there 3 months so was not used to such big crowds! I'm sorry but what nonsense. How on earth did he get hired in the first place if this was the case. Looks to me like there were too many people booked in for dinner and not enough staff hired to cope with the demand. Dreadful, dreadful management.

And final nail in the coffin - not even an offer of a cent of the price. Customer Service I think may be dead at the Glasson. From the management at least.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ter12

Reviewed 24 September 2008

Booked a one night stay at the glasson golf hotel for myself and the wife.

On arrival at the hotel met by the friendlist reception staff i have met in a long time. Not the standard grumpy, disinterested staff that most irish hotels seem to hire nowadays. We were upgraded on arrival to a lakeview room. Had a problem with a taxi being late for an important appointment but the response from the reception was fantastic who made sure we got there on time.

Used the bar and restaraunt. Bar staff really friendly and efficient.

Would definetly go back.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 6 September 2008

This was a return trip for me and I was a little disappointed. The room was not as nice as before, but still had the great view.

It started with having to ring twice as the phone was not answered the first time.

The hotel also had a larger group in and as a couple on their own it didn't leave much room in the bar. We felt the golf group received all the attention. We had to go up and ask for things.

We didn't have dinner and the breakfast buffet was ok but not fantastic.

Having been twice, I don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Just returned from a lovely "special offer" break at this Hotel. We dealt with a lovely friendly receptionist who upgraded us to a beautiful room overlooking the lake. The room was huge, bathroom also large with double sinks, bath and separate walk-in shower and bath.

Breakfast was above average; the freshly home-made brown scones being the highlight. We had dinner in the dining-room in the old part of the house. I can honestly say it was one of the nicest dinners we have ever had. Everything from starter to coffee was delicious. Service was efficient and fast. The hotel is mainly geared towards golfers and the club house is incorporated into the hotel. Although we didnt play golf we found the course to be very well manicured and it appeared to be a challenging course.

The most positive aspect of this hotel was the friendliness of the reception and dining-room staff particulary the breakfast staff.
We were made feel welcome at all times.

The only negative aspect , as previous reviewers have noted, is the lack of a comfortable bar/lounge for hotel guests. The only bar in the hotel is in the golf club end and being hotel guests we felt completely out of it.

All in all it was a really nice place to stay and I would definitely recommend it to friends and family. Meant to also add that we ate in Grogans pub in the village of Glasson and would higly recommend this establishment also.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Stayed in Glasson Hotel for 2 nights from 13th-15th July '08. The hotel & golf course overlook Lough Ree & is in a beautiful tranquil location about 4 miles from Athlone which is a nice town with lots of pubs with live music & planty of shops. Our twin room was huge & immaculate & overlooked the lake & golf course. The beds were large & v comfortable, bathroom has double handbasins, v powerful walkin shower & bath. For breakfast there were cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, scones, croissants & irish fries/eggs etc. We ate in the restaurant on the 2nd night & food was lovely. Our favourite thing about the Glasson was the firendliness of the reception staff who were always smiling & ready to help. We don't play golf so i can't rate the golfcourse but i certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family