“The Best Lunch I've Had in Ireland”

Corner House Bistro
Ranked #5 of 125 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Daytime fine dining with traditional table service.Reservations available.Established in 2012 this family owned restaurant is renowned for its quality, style and service. A must for visitors to Athlone who require a little something special.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I ducked into the Corner House Bistro at 3PM on a rain-swept Friday, thinking I could find a dry corner and some warm soup. I was surprised to discover there was just one seat available and then delighted to enjoy the best lunch I've ever enjoyed in Ireland. Four different people looked after me at separate intervals--not counting the two chefs I could see through the kitchen hatch. I chose the Corner House because I had read previous reviews moaning about the price of the menu items. I know you can find a quick lunch in Athlone at half the price but the difference is in the quality of the food and the comfort of the setting. The butternut squash soup was a perfect antidote to the windy weather outside. Its layered flavours suggested a chef who knows how to create a remarkable taste from locally-sourced stock. A framed citation on the wall told me the Corner House has won several awards for its soup and bread. I also enjoyed pan fried scallops and tiger prawns. This clever creation came with a slice of Horan's Black Pudding, drizzled strawberries, and creamed potatoes with a subtle (perhaps cauliflower) puree. The potatoes were artistically formed in a slender fish-like shape, topped off with a crisp paper thin fin of a rasher. The dish was both visually appealing and a courageous fusion of textures and flavours. I plan to return to the Corner House Bistro with my family because this was a memorable first class experience for me.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was here today with work colleagues, we hadn't been there in over a year (we stopped going as pricey for lunch). The inside setting had changed, very stylish and chic more like a restaurant than a bistro. We were seated and seats were comfortable. They have changed the menu and it seems the prices have increased even more than before, also the items had changed. They now offer a teen menu and kids menu but to be honest very limited choice on both. The menu is really expensive for lunch. I had chicken ceaser salad. It was tasty bth it was 14.95 for lettuce, bacon rinds and parmesan as the chicken needed to be found. Myself and another collegue both had this and it looked like we had a chicken breast between us which was bad considering the cost. We all agreed we would not be back, if they are catering for lunch they need to offer an more reasonable cost effective choice. It was well presented but I would stick to the soup as that is lovely (they gave us a taster) and more affordable. You would come out still hungry and a lot less money in your pocket. One girl had duck spring rolls as a main and it looked like one large normal spring roll and lots of salad. It was presented well and cut up but when we put it together the main spring roll portion was the size of one normal spring roll from a chinese take away. Not very good, big prices do not justify what is presented. Nice for maybe a tea/coffee and scone (as the scones looked lovely and were huge) but we wont be back for lunch. It is a good location they just need to be more realistic.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 3 February 2019 via mobile

Love this restaurant for lunch. Always pleased with food and service. Lovely dessert menu too. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for some fine dining.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 30 January 2019 via mobile

This little corner restaurant is just a must for a lunch, always fresh food and affordable. If you are lucky you might try one of the amazing soups that they have! It is my number one option for lunch in Athlone.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank MaryMOlsen
Reviewed 17 January 2019 via mobile

Visit this bistro occasionally . Breakfast today was really good - loved the poached eggs . Good service and staff very friendly and attentive . Nice surroundings...

Date of visit: January 2019