We stayed here for four nights at the end of July '08. It is located about a 20 minute walk from Lisdoonvarna which is the closest town although the road has no pavement or lighting and is therefore only suitable for pedestrians to use with extreme care (It is a national speed limit road)
The hotel itself is perhaps the poorest 3 star Hotel we have stayed in. The rooms were very dirty, had clearly not had a good clean for months and had an unpleasent odour. On checking into the room, we found that the toilet had not been cleaned, and, in fact, had faeces covering the inside. When this was pointed out to the manager, he seemed non plussed although sent someone up to clean it (The person who came to clean it thought it was ok to use a toilet brush and flush it away rather than use any disinfectant!) - which in my opinion says a lot about the standards of cleaning in the hotel.
The rooms are sparsely equipped, the shower alternates between scolding hot and ice cold no matter where the thermostat is moved (other guests we spoke to experienced the same) The grounds include a tennis court, mini golf course and childrens swing/ seesaw at the front of the building which have long since fallen into disrepair.
The food was variable, although the chef did seem to have a fixation with the use of huge amounts of salt in everything he made, at least half of the meals were inedible and several guests were complaining as such. Also much of the food was processed - for example, mixed fruit crumble was canned fruit cocktail with a crumble crust on top !
The service in the restaurant was ok, the only really redeeming feature of the hotel was the excellent service in the bar, unfortunately (for the hotel) the Barmaid told us she was leaving soon.
Needless to say, we would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Burren Castle Hotel Lisdoonvarna is an 81 bedroom hotel nestled in the rolling Burren landscape of West Clare. All our rooms are en-suite with a view of the countryside, along with tea and coffee making facilities, direct dial phone, toiletries and multi-channel television. Wifi is available free of charge in the Lobby. Pets are only allowed on request and must be pre-arranged. Ther is a charge per night and terms and conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Burren Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Whites Burren Castle Lisdoonvarna
- Burren Castle Hotel
- The Burren Castle Hotel Lisdoonvarna