Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 August 2019 via mobile

This is a slightly old fashioned hotel, family run I believe, and all the better for it. Staff were really friendly and helpful and the rooms large and really comfortable. Ate in the restaurant - a 20 euro steak dinner and it was excellent. I would definitely recommend you give it a try. You wont be disappointed.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
hydro2017, Reservations at The Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2019

Dear 864lesliej,
Thank you for sharing your positive visitor experience on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 3 August 2019

Booked with Booking .com Location of Hotel in Lisdoonvarna is excellent .
Perfect for travelling to other local towns of Doolin and Lahinch.
Walking distance to pubs and restaurants . Hotel looks impressive on approach and staff were very welcoming. Room was at top of house with poor outlook but was clean if very out of date.
Bathroom was also clean but in need of refurbishment.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful throughout.
Breakfast was served to table and was nice but not impressive. Only stayed one night but would be happy to recommend but with proviso that it has some issues at present.

Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
hydro2017, Reservations at The Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2019

Dear Mearns2019,
Thank you for sharing your visitor experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest feedback.

Reservations

Reviewed 28 July 2019

I stayed at the Hydro Hotel for two weeks this summer and I loved it so much I started making plans to go back in February only to find out they are closed over the winter! (Nov-Feb). My loss! This is a great Victorian spa hotel in an old Victorian spa town. Unfortunately the spas are not still open, but there is a great Heritage Center located at one of the old spas, which is just a two-minute walk from this hotel.

The location is amazing. Lisdoonvarna is the perfect quaint little Irish town that I was looking for in my first trip to Ireland, but could not find in Doolin or Dingle. Lisdoon (as the locals often call it) is a bit smaller and quieter than those two and the better for it. Small and quiet, the town still boasts 2 general stores, 1 pharmacy, 1 post office, 1 tourist shop, and numerous pubs, bars & retaurants. The Hydro Hotel is a five-minute or less walk to all of these things. The Hydro is also located right next to the town's football pitch, so it is pretty quiet most of the time, and guests have easy access to watch a Gaelic football practice if they want.

The inside of the Hydro displays its Victorian origins, with antique books lining the walls next to fireplaces, chandeliers, and lounge furniture. A few previous reviewers complained that the place needs an upgrade, with some carpets turning up in corners, etc., but to me that just adds to the authentic charm. I mean, this is a 3-star and not a 4-star hotel. But, it is amazing! There is one large lounge near the check-in, but it is separated into about 3 separate areas, so you don't have to feel like you're hanging out with strangers there if you don't want. There is also a bar, a dance hall (where they have trad music concerts most nights in summer), and a formal dining room.

My stay included a full breakfast and a 3-course dinner for every day and the food here is above average for what I've encountered elsewhere in Ireland. The menu usually offered 3-4 appetizers, 3-4 entrees, and 3-4 desserts to choose from. There is always at least one vegeterian entree & appetizer option (& all desserts), however if you're vegan, make sure to ask to speak to the chef personally. One in my party was vegan and it took 24 hours before they had good food options for her. But, once they did -- oh my! Her food looked better tasting than ours! Yum!

The food always came out warm and fresh tasting. Since I stayed for such a long time, the chef even made special dishes for my party twice: a sweet & sour chicken with veggie, and a ginger chicken with veggies. Both were superb! I believe the chef is from an Asian country and this is her forte --the Hydro would do well to lean on that and serve more of her native dishes which were the best meals I had at the Hydro. Breakfast consists of choices of cereals, porriges, granola, fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, brown bread, tea, coffee, etc. Nothing eccentric or super fancy, but they did a great job poaching my eggs most mornings and I was very happy with both breakfast and dinner service. While I did not meet a bad staff person anywhere in the dining room, I would like to specially acknowledge my regular server Anil for his friendliness, flexibility, and overall competence.

The rooms come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so be clear with the front desk about what you are looking for. I had to change my room right after checking in because the first room I was given was right above the front door where people stood to smoke and I couldn't stand the smell of the ciggarette smoke coming in through my window. The hotel staff was very accomodating and friendly about the issue and right away gave me a different room further into the building.

Housekeeping was great. I got an extra towel and bedsheet quickly and Mol, my housekeeper, even reembered to continue giving me an extra bedsheet whenever she changed the sheets. Every staff person I met at the Hydro was very thoughtful and kind.

Other reviewers have pointed out that the Hydro caters to German tour buses. This is true, and many signs in the lobby and the restaurant menu can be found in both English and Germans. My group, however, was not a German tour bus and I do not feel as if we were neglected in the slightest. The Hydro staff all gave us generous attention and friendliness and I found all of the German tour bus groups friendly & smiling as well. The music concerts each night are only put on because of the tour bus crowds, so having the tour buses come there is a positive for other Hydro guests.

The bartenders at the Hydro are friendly and quick. Drink prices there are equivalent to other bars in town. You can order a drink before going into dinner and take your drink with you. After dinner I suggest either having a drink at the hotel bar or walking in to the Roadside Tavern.

While I might not be able to stay at the Hydro this February, I will definitely be coming back again next summer and will be recommending Lisdoon and the Hydro to anyone else traveling in the area.

Room tip: To avoid cigarette smoke, ask for a room that is not facing over the front door.
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear angie8_12,
Thank you ever so kindly for taking the time out to put such a positive and detailed review of your visitor experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest feedback and are truly grateful for all the comments. I will personally pass on your compliments to Anil and Mol. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and already looking forward to welcome you at Hydro Hotel next summer.

Aksana

Reviewed 12 June 2019

As a coach driver I have had the misfortune of staying in this hotel on many occasions and the only positive feedback I can offer is that it looks nice from the outside and when you are in the lobby. That is all. The negatives are that I have been allocated a room without a window on a few occasions, the food at dinner time ( tilapia and turkey ) and breakfast time leaves a lot to be desired and the staff are not particularly friendly. Coach parking can also be very difficult. Would I stay here if I didn't have to? A definite no!

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank SeamusPower
Reviewed 31 May 2019 via mobile

I have to say I have never stayed in a hotel where ALL the staff were so happy and friendly, they really made our stay a very relaxing and enjoyable one. Fantastic value for money. Pan the bar man gets a special mention, very friendly and would do anything for you.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
hydro2017, Reservations at The Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2019

Dear Declan C,
We are delighted that you took the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our customer service. I will pass your compliments to the rest of the team and, indeed, to Pan. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Aksana