The Hydro Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Rathbaun Hotel(Lisdoonvarna)
King Thomond Hotel(Lisdoonvarna)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotel Doolin(Doolin)
Agoda.com
All reviewsrooms were spotlessluxury accommodationsecurity staffexploring the local areavery nice hotelhotel is situatedwarm atmospheredining roomother hotelsstaff were so friendlygood sizebooked this hotelthe perfect place to staybacon cabbagethe hotel managerlive musicirish music
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Where to begin...(1) The bar staff attempted to over-charge me 3 times on the same night - every staff charged a different price for the same drink [€4.30, €4.70, €5.10] and only for I coping it I'd be out of pocket - it might have been a ploy to see what they could get away with. (2) If you asked 3 staff members the same question, you would get 3 different answers e.g. one staff told us entry was €15 but another said it was free and another said to come back as they hadn't decided yet. You might also get the politician answer of a question in response to a question e.g. Me: "Can you tell me which way is the ballroom please?" Staff: "Depends, what do you want with the ballroom?" (3) They were very unhelpful in assisting with any query and to me they always appeared defensive or guarded and didn't have the customer service skills that I am used to, such as, basic politeness. (4) One staff member insisted on this hotel policy which I'm not sure exists, i.e. my friend checked his jacket into the coat room, lost his ticket stub, went to reception the following morning to retrieve his jacket and she said she'd have to take all his details and pass them onto the local guards and they'd question him about it to make sure it was definitely his jacket and that he wasn't trying to steal another visitors jacket - the jacket was from Penneys and even if it was designer, it's a complete over-step as he was able to describe the jacket in full, say the time he handed it in and the staff member that took it so I think that's proof enough that he was telling the truth. Like what were the guards going to do? - put the jacket in one room and my friend in another room, question to two of them and hope their stories matched lol...I'm joking of course but that's the level of ridiculousness we had to deal with during our stay ....I could go on and on and on with more points and examples but I think I've made my point that this hotel for whatever reason was not up to standard during our visit and I think they need to get their act together. I wouldn't stay here again as there is no need for staff to be so rude, unhelpful, unorganized or to treat their customers so badly. Your job is to provide a service - learn to do it, simple as.

Stayed: October 2016
2  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 7 October 2016

My friends and I stayed at the Hydro for two nights of the Matchmaking Festival, and had sooo much fun. The reception staff were friendly, helpful and always on hand. They (especially Bridget) made us feel like returning again next year (and possibly every year after!). Yes, if you are looking for an ultra modern, city style hotel with shine and glitz, this is not for you, but then you are not in London, Paris or NY! Part of the charm is it`s slightly dated, homely décor, but it is still spotlessly clean and has all necessary amenities. As stated in a previous review, the glass door to the bathroom is slightly surprising, but it does have a net curtain on. I`m not sure if ALL the rooms have this, so it might be worth asking if it freaks you out. Maybe something for the hotel to consider? Otherwise the room was cosy and warm with a double and single bed.Breakfast service was prompt and efficient and there was a fair (although not extensive) choice of full Irish, porridge, cereals and fruit. The bar area is large, yet still welcoming and there is a lovely dance floor where the excellent musicians kept us entertained. It is very busy during the festival, so do not go at this time if you`re looking for P&Q. The only reason I cannot give 5 stars is because we did not sample the dinner menu and in the bar at night, there was a 2 euro charge for a glass of tap water which seemed to be taking advantage.

Room Tip: Any room with a view is lovely. Higher floors quieter during the festival.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2016

In comparative terms rate accommodation as VERY GOOD. Dinner quality; 3* food at restaurant prices, so better value can be obtained elsewhere. Staff in all areas were EXCELLENT, efficiency & effectiveness with natural charm - WELL DONE GUYS.

Tap WATER @ €2 per glass - take note IRISH WATER. To be fair this 'rip-off' was not confined to The Hydro and was applied @ all other venues visited during my stay. So take note!!!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2016

Quirky, I think is the best way to describe this hotel.Full of nooks and crannys but I wouldn't really say it was ultra modern, the glass panelled door in the bathroom was a first! The bar area was nice and the staff were friendly, overall a clean friendly quirky hotel

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2016

We ate here on the four nights that we stayed in Lisdoonvarna. The Service was excellent, food was good. The menu was the same every night for the month of September. It would be nice to vary the menu. Staff are so nice.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple