“Charming Chowder no matter what the weather”

Connemara Greenway Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Oughterard
Cuisines: Deli, Irish, Healthy, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small family run Restaurant, Café and Deli situated on the main street in Oughterard serving homemade meals, cakes and breads using Fresh, Seasonal, Locally Sourced Produce! Wines and local beers too! Serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Full Evening menu. Reservations Taken.
Reviewed 14 June 2017

I was one of my goof balling journeys from Galway to Mayo. I rarely go the same way twice in a row and I wanted to traverse the beautiful Connemara countryside entering the plains of Mayo from the north side of Lough Mask. The west side story I call it where you travel from Mayo to Galway on the west side of lough Corrib. That’s how I ended up in Oughterard and that’s when I stepped into the greenway café on main street. It was an unusually sunny hot May Day in the west of Ireland, it was that warm I choose to sit outside. It wasn’t too warm, that I couldn’t resist the temptation to order the greenway cafes seafood chowder. I guess when people say hot in the west of Ireland they mean you don’t need to light the fire, but at the same time its great for drying out the turf. Temperature wise it was 22 centigrade. The kind of weather where people in Malaga put on a winter jacket. I’ve learnt to trust TripAdvisor but not in all occasions. I saw the TA recommended badge in the window of the greenway cafe, but there are a few other things that will tell you if a restaurant is worth giving a twist. Its always a good sign if the place is packed and the menu outside was fresh. I wasn’t disappointed. It’s the best chowder I’ve had in a long time. Great value and the homemade bread was fresh crumbly perfection. The staff were young friendly and welcoming. I think there was a fear an Ti that was keeping the show on the road. If your passing through or staying in Oughterard then try out this place you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank SunnyHarry

Reviewed 10 June 2017

What a great find! I was introducing a Swiss visitor to Connemara and by chance came on this gem of a restaurant. We had a wonderful meal, the host was top class & the service terrific. Not many tables so reservations esp at weekends essential. I will be back with my Irish friends.

1  Thank cradsma
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Excellent food and service. We were sorry it was not open on the Monday, when we were also in town. Highly recommended

1  Thank DolB
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

We were lucky to get in without a reservation, and it was worth it. It is quite small, but the food is excellent and the service very friendly.

1  Thank frankAdvisor59
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

The Greenway Cafe was recommended to us by our Hotel and it did not disappoint! We had soup and sandwiches for lunch. The service was amazing. Everyone was very friendly and helpful with ideas for what to do during our stay! They went above and beyond!

1  Thank Becky L