Ways to Experience Howth Castle
from US$32.20
from US$34.60
from US$23.00
More Info
All reviews golf course lovely grounds amazing history walking trails golf club follow the path full bloom dart station cakes beautiful view tour inhabited oldest rhododendrons hill ireland cars
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

That Saturday we actually came to the National Transport museum with two young children. Unfortunately it was closed because the grounds were used as a filming location. We then decided to take a stroll around the castle since it was near by. We were admiring the huge yew trees and speculating about the past of the castle, looking for some information about the place. Our boys ran up the stairs (boys being boys). As I went up to fetch them, the door of the house (castle) opened and an elderly woman emerged with a small group of people. I thought to myself that it could be the end of the tour perhaps. Just then a woman gave me an angry look and told me to leave the premises immediately as this was a private property. I was at a loss to be honest. She pulled out a sign “Private residence” that was facing the other way and that’s why I didn’t see it. She nearly pushed my two-year old boy down the stairs and then continued muttering something about people walking around here and not having respect.

Just out of respect for her age I didn’t say anything but my mood was ruined by this unpleasant encounter.

For people like us who just walked in without knowing a thing about Howth castle there should be a lot more information everywhere before we even reached the castle itself. Not a single sign facing the other way.

I would have been annoyed myself if this was my home and there was an intruder at my door but I certainly wouldn’t be as wicked trying to tell people to leave.

I learned that the owners do let people see their house when the tour is booked but unless you’re a part of one you’ll probably be shooed away just like we were.

3  Thank Yuliya D
Reviewed 21 June 2018

The cafe is the perfect place if you like to escape the city noise and just relax in the nature. The cake and coffee was really delicious and the staff very friendly and welcoming,

Reviewed 16 June 2018

We were blessed with fabulous weather and spent the whole Sunday in the gardens here.
The cafe in the walked gardens produce excellent home cooked lunch, snacks and cakes in beautiful surroundings. Walk up the drive or park in front of the golf club and follow the path through the rhododenrons walk - so colourful at this time of year - peace and tranquility

1  Thank maryelks
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Ireland seems full of castles (well, what they call castles in any case). They are generally nice, but not spectacular. This one is not exception. On a sunny day, a walk in the gardens or a coffee at the castle may be nice. The building itself is average.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Teodora_Mic87
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

It is a short walk from the train station, but the castle and golf course are up a pretty steep incline. The castle isn't open to the public, but is worth seeing. The golf course views were lovely! We had a great bartender up there as well who was friendly. The walk wasn't easy, but we'll worth the view! The very intelligent ravens were a plus.

Date of experience: April 2018