“Great food and setting”

Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Loughrea
Price range: US$13 - US$30
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hungry Bookworm is a cool place to chill with a book and a glass of wine, or enjoy good company in our great atmosphere. Choose from a variety of delicacies on our very reasonable menu ranging from Spanish tapas to our chef's own variations on classic dishes from around the world. Our highly trained baristas will also be happy to make you any gourmet coffee or tea you feel in the mood for. So pop in, read a book and relax in the warm comfort of The Hungry Bookworm.
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

I visited with my husband, my 1 and a half year old and my sister and brother in law while on a trip to Galway. I was so impressed with the food, the welcome and the atmosphere. I'm coeliac so I have to eat gluten free and normally I have only a handful of options on the menu. Well I was blown away by the choice! The chef said they could make chips and onion rings and they have a separate frier for gluten free - I can almost never get chips in a restaurant so it was such a treat. Pretty much everything was adaptable and the staff really seemed to have the knowledge of the importance of catering for allergies. The staff were very friendly with my son and they had a great highchair so he could be involved in everything The cafe is a bookshop too and we found a brilliant Thomas the Tank Engine book for €2 for my son that he is still obsessed with a month later! Next time I'm in Galway I'm definitely taking the trip out to Loughrea for another visit!

Reviewed 7 August 2018

This is a hidden gem of a restaurant down a narrow street off the main road. The food is fabulous and the portions are huge. We had breakfast and lunch and can't wait to visit again when we return to Ireland. We told all our local relatives about it. We had been her 7 years ago and 3 years ago and our memory of a great place to eat was correct! We love all the books around to buy or browse too. This is a must eat place if you are in the area!!!

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

I love the quaint, relaxed atmosphere here, where you can sit and peruse the books at your leisure. That alone would be enough for me but then there is the magnificent food. On our last visit we stopped in for breakfast. Everyone ate everything in sight which says something from my fussy children. Taste and variety can't be beaten and they are very accommodating as well as catering for caoeliacs. We will be back soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

stopped on way home from roadtrip..tired, hungry family...lovely informal warm reception...great with kids! food delicious and well presented. Best burger my husband has had in a long time apparently!

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

What a lovely restaurant with a great menu and tasty food. My daughter is a very fussy eater and loved the chicken lollipops! Cosy and comfortable environment where you are very welcomed and looked after by Angela. The ice cream treat for the children was a lovely touch and you get a free book on your first visit. It certainly won't be my last!