All reviews the river stunning house wonderful home incredible hospitality peace and quiet full irish breakfast georgian period tea and biscuits country home jane austen novel irish charm four poster bed guest rooms a wonderful stay two nights highlight of our trip thoroughly enjoyed our stay
Reviewed 16 April 2018

I spent two nights here and it was a wonderful start to my holiday. After a long day of travel, I found the house quickly and without any problems. Checking in was done with a smile and a hand shake. My room was perfect, all the way to the back of the house, so very quiet. The bathroom had a low ceiling, but that wasn‘t a problem for me because I‘m not that tall! Lovely view out front. Even though I had been traveling for 10 hours at that point, I felt instantly relaxed and peaceful. The owner was very attentive and friendly, brought me tea and biscuits and asked if I needed anything. I felt very pampered! The whole house breathes history, but it‘s not a museum. It‘s lived in, in a good way. Can recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from a stressful time and enjoy the countryside. I hope to be back!

Date of stay: April 2018
allinadayswork, Owner at Ballyduff House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Thank you Lotte it was my pleasure to have you at Ballyduff house, love to have you back , hope the weather is better where you are.
Regards Bred

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Ballyduff House. The house was spacious, full of character and charm, warm and comfortable, with outstanding views of the nearby River Noir and Leinster way. We had all the amenities necessary for a weekend stay. Breede made us feel at feel right at home with great hospitality and wonderful stories and great local knowledge for things to do and see during our stay. Very good value, and highly recommended!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2018

Beautiful Irish country house in the same family for seven generations. Great views of green hills, grazing sheep, immense trees and rhododendrons over 200 acres. The owner Brede Thomas is knowledgeable, helpful and good company. Its like going back to the past, quiet, very rural, far from the madding crowd (as Hardy would say). One of the best places I have ever stayed.

Room tip: Rooms by the river are large with great views.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2017

I had the opportunity to stay in this beautiful Georgian period home recently, for one night, as I was on business. It was such a pleasant drive to Ballyduff House, not far from the town of Thomastown.
My room was very large and pretty, the furniture matches the period of the property and I had one of the best sleeps of the year, in a magnificent four poster bed.
I had a separate bathroom, complete with both bath and a walk in shower.
The house itself is meticulously laid out, with furnishings and period pictures prints.
Everything was absolutely spotlessly clean and the breakfast next morning was one of the best I've had, anywhere in the world. The house was warm and cosy and welcoming.
Everything is managed calmly and beautifully by the owner, Brid Thomas. Brid is quite the perfect hostess.
After breakfast, I wandered around the gardens, where the breakfast room overlooks the river Nore, in all it's glory. I was charmed by this guesthouse and how welcome I was made to feel. I can't wait to get back for a longer break soon and to explore this beautiful area more. Thank you Brid and all the wonderful staff at Ballyduff House.

Room tip: All rooms are large and very quiet, as it is in a country area. It is very peaceful there.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2017

This beautiful house comes with a wonderful hostess.
I didn't do much research when booking a room for a 1 day course at the college in Thomastown but I happened upon the phone number for Ballyduff house and called the morning I would be setting off.

Brede was very accommodating and said I would be welcome to stay that evening. I would end up arriving extremely late after forgetting to pick up my phone, there was also bad weather and my sat-nav took me on the scenic route, ironically I couldn't see as it was dark. I didn't arrive until 11.30pm, tired being an understatement I was offered tea and was so thrilled that a huge pot, large cup, 2 plates of biscuits and a jug of cream to be taken to my room for me.

The room itself was beautiful, I had not known what to expect at all on arriving and the place was just perfect. Georgian is one of my favourite periods and this house is perfectly in keeping.
The room was large, just the right temperature with a huge comfortable bed.
The en-suite was like a pretty little nook and sympathetically brought up to date.

In the morning I managed to get a quick bath (no shower but not a problem) and down for breakfast at a pre-agreed time.
The dining room and view out on to the river couldn't have been more fitting and everything about breakfast was perfect. The produce, quality of cooking and presentation were all 10/10.

I look forward to staying again, next time I promise to get their a lot earlier.

Date of stay: November 2017