All reviews the river stunning house wonderful home incredible hospitality peace and quiet full irish breakfast georgian period tea and biscuits country home jane austen novel irish charm four poster bed guest rooms a wonderful stay two nights highlight of our trip thoroughly enjoyed our stay
Reviewed 3 December 2017

I had the opportunity to stay in this beautiful Georgian period home recently, for one night, as I was on business. It was such a pleasant drive to Ballyduff House, not far from the town of Thomastown.
My room was very large and pretty, the furniture matches the period of the property and I had one of the best sleeps of the year, in a magnificent four poster bed.
I had a separate bathroom, complete with both bath and a walk in shower.
The house itself is meticulously laid out, with furnishings and period pictures prints.
Everything was absolutely spotlessly clean and the breakfast next morning was one of the best I've had, anywhere in the world. The house was warm and cosy and welcoming.
Everything is managed calmly and beautifully by the owner, Brid Thomas. Brid is quite the perfect hostess.
After breakfast, I wandered around the gardens, where the breakfast room overlooks the river Nore, in all it's glory. I was charmed by this guesthouse and how welcome I was made to feel. I can't wait to get back for a longer break soon and to explore this beautiful area more. Thank you Brid and all the wonderful staff at Ballyduff House.

Room tip: All rooms are large and very quiet, as it is in a country area. It is very peaceful there.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2017

This beautiful house comes with a wonderful hostess.
I didn't do much research when booking a room for a 1 day course at the college in Thomastown but I happened upon the phone number for Ballyduff house and called the morning I would be setting off.

Brede was very accommodating and said I would be welcome to stay that evening. I would end up arriving extremely late after forgetting to pick up my phone, there was also bad weather and my sat-nav took me on the scenic route, ironically I couldn't see as it was dark. I didn't arrive until 11.30pm, tired being an understatement I was offered tea and was so thrilled that a huge pot, large cup, 2 plates of biscuits and a jug of cream to be taken to my room for me.

The room itself was beautiful, I had not known what to expect at all on arriving and the place was just perfect. Georgian is one of my favourite periods and this house is perfectly in keeping.
The room was large, just the right temperature with a huge comfortable bed.
The en-suite was like a pretty little nook and sympathetically brought up to date.

In the morning I managed to get a quick bath (no shower but not a problem) and down for breakfast at a pre-agreed time.
The dining room and view out on to the river couldn't have been more fitting and everything about breakfast was perfect. The produce, quality of cooking and presentation were all 10/10.

I look forward to staying again, next time I promise to get their a lot earlier.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Phillippa C
Reviewed 29 October 2017

I booked Ballyduff house approx. two months ago for weekend of 20th and 21 st October 2017 via booking.com. There had been a bad storm approximately 4-5 days earlier but having not received any communication from booking.com or Ballyduff house we drove from Dublin to Thomastown. Firstly, the road to the house was closed due to fallen trees so we followed diversion signs- did think at that point strange that Ballyduff house had not contacted us to let us know. We arrived at 6 pm, there was no one at the guesthouse. No lights, no car , no note on the door or gate etc to say it was closed or owner had stepped out. We rang the landline number ( no mobile on web site) twice, no reply, no voicemail message etc. As we were unable to check in we booked a hotel in Kilkenny last minute. I also had to cancel our dinner reservation in Bassett’s, Thomastown and Mount Juliet were we had planned to eat over the weekend. I contacted booking.com who eventually told me that due to storm damage ( no power or heat ) the property was closed and owners returned on 23/24 th October. I was informed Ballyduff would call me , but they have not to date. I emailed Ballyduff house directly via there webpage to check if they were aware of above but I have not received a reply to date. I am very disappointed as Ballyduff house and its owners have received very good reviews in the past. We should have been contacted prior to to the 21 st October to say that the house was closed and we certainly should have received an explanation / apology from Ballyduff house for inconvenience caused.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller1252014
allinadayswork, Owner at Ballyduff House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear Mrs Phelan,
When booking .com made contact I told them I would send you Voucher for BNB at Ballyduff House , the lady then told me I would have to pay 50-60 euro for the hotel you stayed in Kilkenny. All other guests cancelled on Tuesday after storm by text not sure how they got my mobile number they read the papers watched the news and saw rural Kilkenny was hit very bad by storm Ophelia I had to drive to Thomastown to make calls and get text signal down here and land line, no light you say we had no electricity, I am sorry if I overlooked your booking but its called country living after a storm, but I would not change it.
Apologies again Bred

Reviewed 7 September 2017

We enjoyed a relaxing break at Ballyduff House. Brad was a charming, welcoming host, anticipating our every need.
The gardens were a pleasure to meander through, exuding a sense of peace and tranquility.
Entering our room was like stepping back in time. Clean and bright and airy, we were able to relax and take in the ambiance of days gone by.
A perfect short stay, hope to return the next time we visit Ireland.

Date of stay: June 2017
2  Thank Sherry P
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

The rooms are very well equiped warm and sunny. The beds are very comfortable. To use the breakfast in the diningroom is fantastic. The atmosfhere is restfull and so relaxed. We were there two nights and its a pity to move on.
In the evening you can use the living with the open fire.
Its a great place to stay. The warm hospitalty of Brede is great, nothing is to much for her!

Date of stay: August 2017