1,229 results
All reviews the main house lady helen restaurant hunters yard manor house horse riding golf club michelin star tasting menu round of golf stud farm equestrian centre rose garden mount juliet estate the river afternoon tea old house grounds are beautiful
Reviewed 12 November 2018

I love Halloween as my girls are at the perfect age to enjoy the fun of trick or treating and dressing up, so this year we decided to spend their midterm break at The Mount Juliet, convinced by my chat (In September) with Laura in reservations that this was the place to be, with a great kids club, a Halloween party and fun for all.... We ended up staying in, ordering room service and their carefully chosen outfits never left their cases...
The "Mount Juliet Juniors" camp was staffed by girls who were lethargic at best, the printed schedule was not adhered to the one and a half days my three (generally very easy going children) went and my second eldest daughter had an allergic reaction on the visit to the equestrian centre and was left sitting on a kerb outside on her own in the freezing cold(joined by her 2 sisters...) and the staff REFUSED to call us,saying they would have to return to the office and couldn't use their own mobile phones to contact us...….even writing this I am still so upset... and although I contacted Caroline who is in charge, I am still waiting for an apology...that is all I wanted, an explanation and an apology..from the staff I TRUSTED with my girls... we filled in 6 detailed forms(3 each day !...why bother?...it leaves me speechless) Caroline listened,she organised falconry and dinner... but all I wanted was an apology I told her this, please don't let this happen to someone else....we did not hear from her again before departure.... we would have had dinner and falconry without her help, it felt insincere and still does.
The rest of our week was fine( but obviously this had a huge effect on us) the girls had pony camp on the Tuesday and Wednesday, this was well run by Shauna and Tara who were fun and responsible and they enjoyed. They also loved John and the falconry hour he is wonderful.. and Sean a PGA professional took them for an fun hour of golf, again a man totally suited to his job and they really enjoyed it and him (I recommend this and only heard about it from another mum at the pony camp..ask at the golf club)
The food in The Hound Restaurant after a week of the same menu is beyond boring (especially if you dont eat fish) My husband eats steak and it was bad, he spoke to Shawn and it was slightly better but three nights he was left dissapointed. My salmon was good, the cod was a tiny portion served in a bowl..with a bowl of potatoes on the side. Wines were good and staff a little hit and miss but on the Tuesday night Shawn, Vanja and Reiner were very professional and lovely. Breakfast here was hectic and although there seemed to be enough staff they didn't seem to be any organisation and things were constantly running low...we queued four mornings out of the six...
We ate in the Main House restaurant one night and although I'm sure the meat has the same source the steak was much better, and although it was really busy can I commend a young waiter called Eoin who really earned his tips that night, he was excellent. The Saddle Bar for me lacked any atmosphere, no fire and a clock stuck on 11.20 for the week!(How can someone not notice this!?) The barman was pleasant. The Golf club serves food to non members midweek and we enjoyed this space and food and every member of staff encountered faultless and hardworking.

Our 2 adjoining rooms on the second floor in The Hunters Yard were good, a quiet corridor, good size and comfortable beds..and near the pool and spa so well located. House keeping was unintrusive but basic I had to leave the empty Ballygowen glass bottles out after every visit..... it was beds made, toiletries replaced and little else..I didn't expect swan shaped towels but although we had put a small towel to keep the doors open between the rooms surely someone would get a doorstop? We actually looked in the tiny village of Thomastown to buy one and eventually rang reception who did provide two...The Residents Lounge is awful, always empty, surely a fire in November was't too much to expect in its lovely open fireplace...or maybe some board games might breath some life into this forgotten space? We had three spa treatments, I would recommend but do bring your own dressing gown, I am a standard size and they ARE AWFUL...overwashed and uncomfortable..a pet hate of mine.
The grounds were breathtaking (helped by the most beautiful autumnal weather) there are bicycles...not for children, understandable...due to insurance according to reception....but my husband met a lady in management as we left (Catherine ? Lane...)
who didn't seem to get that memo..
The swimming pool is located in Hunters Yard so if staying with children is very convenient, times 9-12 and 3-6 so its small and can get very busy and the male changing room is miniscule...but a nice addition.
So to finish, would we return/recommend? There is so much choice out there in this price bracket and living in Dublin you can get anywhere within a few hours....This was a place I was so looking forward to and I have been bitterly disappointed. It is a magnificent location with so much history attached and I just feel, it should feel...more special, the little things are being missed, the things that make a person want to return to talk positively about...and all I know is my little girls were neglected, missed Halloween and I can't get that week back....I have answered the survey sent to my email address over a week ago now but hopefully my feedback on this forum will make a difference to what should be an amazing destination....

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank kayla9
Mount_Juliet, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your message. I will contact you directly through email in regards to your feedback above.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Absolutely magical place! The grounds and accomodation are breath takingingly beautiful, the staff are friendly and helpful you just feel minded and taken care of from start to finish with a real easy breezy atmosphere we also booked in for the falconry and I would highly recommend. Can't wait to return at some point soon in the future!

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Aisling_Coyne

Good afternoon,

I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to Mount Juliet Estate and that you were able to enjoy one of our many activities available. Our staff do their best to create a relaxing atmosphere and I'm happy to see that reflected in your stay.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

Mount Juliet Estate is truly a gem of Irish Hospitality. We stayed for two nights and were sorry to leave ..could have stayed for a week ! Wonderful experience with the tasting menu in the Lady Helen Restaurant (wine pairing a definite recommendation) , great relaxed atmosphere, lovely breakfast, thoroughly enjoyed the meal at the Hound Restaurant also (desserts a must, they were fantastic) , managed to squeeze in a visit to Kilkenny before our spa treatments and swim. Left on Sunday truly refreshed. Very comfortable beds and very stylish decor in the rooms. Some really classy discreet touches make all the difference.

Room tip: The Manor House was perfect. No corridor disturbance at all. Warm, spacious and fab decor
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. It's wonderful to hear that you were able to really relax and return to life refreshed. I hope you will come see us again soon!

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

What wonderful afternoon tea we had ‘ four adults one 4 Four yo and one 5 wks! All well behaved. Adults included. It brought back memories of staying and eating at the house. Overlooking the river above the Lady Helen Restaurant where we dined, post prandial in our magnificent surroundings

Trip type: Travelled with family
Mount_Juliet, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2018

Good morning,

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea at the Manor House -- there is nothing more idyllic than sipping a cup of tea, snacking on delicious treats, and enjoying the peaceful view over the River Nore.

We hope you are able to join us again soon.

Christine Murphy

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night in a river-view room in the Manor House. The property is lovely and has every possible amenity available: golf, horseback riding, fishing, falconry and a spa in the new separate section of the estate.

The Manor House is a beautiful old home, quite large, with gracious public rooms including a bar and a restaurant. Our room was on the top floor of the Manor; be advised, I don’t believe there are any lifts in the Manor House. Our room was large and had a lovely view of the river and fields.

We had a lovely afternoon tea. The food offered with tea was quite nice with a very nice assortment of savory and sweet selections. My only complaint was that the Manor tried to squeeze in a few too many people for tea- a large group of six sat behind us and were rather noisy. This was not, of course, the hotel’s fault, but I do think a manager might have nipped the situation in the bud when a guest was lugging a large additional chair over to the four top; one of the staff should have addressed the situation.

The reason the Manor House receives four stars rather than five is for two reasons: the bed and the bathroom. As always, if a hotel doesn’t have a good bed I automatically deduct a star. Alas the bed in a higher end room at Mt. Juliet’s Manor House was not very comfortable. This should not be the case. In addition, the bathroom, while adequate, was not particularly nice given the status of the property. Both the bed and the bathroom need a refresh or overhaul.

All in all, Mt. Juliet was a lovely property. I was, however, a bit disappointed by the room itself.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sftcat

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed the Manor House and the Estate, it is a beautiful property and the Manor House is a lovely historic building. We understand your comments regarding the bedrooms and bathrooms, and have plans set in place for a refresh of the Manor House. We hope that when you return you will be able to enjoy the newly refurbished rooms!

Christine Murphy